“Outstanding ! Friendly staff & great location for shopping, nights out or the hospitals.”

The New Northumbria Hotel
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I recently found myself in Newcastle as my husband sadly needed treatment for Cancer at the Freeman Hospital. Very stressful time to say the least!! I stayed at the hotel for two weeks and the staff could not have been more understanding or helpful. Their kindness was beyond what I expected. The little things such as a pot of tea ready for me when I returned from visiting ! Can't wait to return when my husband is feeling better. Wish all hotels had staff like The New Northumbria Newcastle. Thanks to all of you.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Shazzer6
The Malhotra G, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review - Its great to hear that you would stay with us again and recommend us to others. We agree that Osborne Road is a very lively street and there's everything you need on your doorstep. We look forward to seeing you when your next in the area.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I made a group booking through booking.com for a large group (~15 people) to stay here for my friend's hen party! We stayed for one night and the service from start to finish between me and reception staff was outstanding. Aime (Senior Receptionist) was very helpful and understanding of the difficulties of organising a group booking! Craig and Stephanie were also very helpful.
The advice I was given about which rooms to book was perfect and all staff tried hard to get as many rooms as possible adjacent to each other. Everyone in our group enjoyed our stay and the overall experience was great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Newcastle, as group or as an individual. Newcastle is a great city!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tgra91
The Malhotra G, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Wow, what a fantastic review. We are all so pleased to hear that you and the rest of the group enjoyed your recent stay and hope that you all enjoyed your weekend. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team - your comments will be passed on. We hope to see you again when your next visiting the city.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a few years ago and it was ok. This visit was excellent. Place has been completely refurbished and the staff were charming. They upgraded me to a lovely big room as I'd had a long journey. Excellent value for money and in a lovely area of Newcastle near some nice bars and restaurants

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank merrybrood

Its great to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations from your last visit. We do try and upgrade our guests when possible - so we are glad that you appreciated this. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights and was impressed by how welcoming the staff were. I stayed in a superior double room and was able to take my dog for free, which not many hotels in Newcastle offer. The room was better than some 4* hotels I have stayed in. Scalini's restaurant was great quality for money and the pizza was delicious.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Marknewbury

What a fantastic review! Thank you!

I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and all the staff made you feel welcome - I will pass your lovely comments to all the staff.

We hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed for one night at the hotel at the beginning of June for a birthday celebration, we found the hotel to be very clean and staff extremely helpful and polite, especially Craig and Marcus on reception. We had the junior suite (201) which was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The staff were more than a accommodating in arranging taxis and directing us around newcastle. Our room was at the back of the hotel and very quiet, the rooms at the front may not be so quiet as the bar below was very busy when we were there. The only thing that took the slight edge from our visit was the breakfast girl, we didn't find her very approachable or accommodating. Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel, and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah M

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel suitable to your needs. I will pass your lovely comments onto Craig and Marcus and the rest of our reception team. Hope you enjoyed the birthday celebrations.

We look forward to welcome you in near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had previously stayed at this hotel 7 months ago when I was advised that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment of the rooms. That time I was appointed a smart refurbished room, tastefully decorated in calming browns and beiges so was looking forward to my most recent stay. This time I was appointed in one of their "Mediterranean" rooms - apparently the refurb has currently been stopped with no idea when it will recommence- which was decorated in bright blue, orange and yellow! Or should I say had been decorated along time ago In these colours.
The hotel is in the Jesmond area and the numerous hotel bars compete with each other with a variety of happy hours and other promotions to attract them in. This leads to a "colourful" nightlife.
The main restaurant within the hotel is extremely good offering far better value and variety than the nearby Pizza Express.
The hotel has 3 other bars which seem to open and close on a whim or the availability of staff
I guess you get what you pay for and for c£50 a night the hotel can offer good value but AVOID the Mediterranean rooms or take sun glasses!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay at the hotel. We do have a small number of rooms that are decorated in the colourful Mediterranean style - however we plan to refurb these rooms within the next 6 months.

Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time in our Italian restaurant Scalini's - I will make sure your comments get passed onto the Restaurant Manager.

We hope this experience has not put you off from staying at our hotel in the future.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Arrived to find the biggest drinking session in the world below our window,. We asked to be moved but no rooms available till the following day. This was the worst nights sleep ever. In fairness we were moved to a Junior Suite the next day, which was at the back of the hotel, beautiful spacious room. The only drawback is the ridiculous shower panels on bath installed with midgets in mind. The room was kept clean but the staircases and corridors were dirty. The breakfast was somewhat haphazard as the availability of ingredients, eg no sausages, bread rolls and tin tomatoes only on one morning. The breakfast staff need to look a little happier in there job, not one smile in four mornings. To cap it all on the second night one of the night staff came into our room perhaps thinking he could sleep in there. To say the least I was a little upset.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay at the New Northumbria Hotel. Osbornes bar is adjacent to the hotel, however closes at 11pm every night and therefore the noise should not affect our guests after this time. I am glad to hear that your issue was dealt with appropriately when possible and you were moved to a more suitable room. I am sorry about the breakfast quality and offerings, I will pass your comments to our breakfast team. I also apologise for the experience with one of our night porters - I will be investigating into this to find out what happened.

Thank you for your feedback.

Warm Regards.