“Can't go wrong”

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed hear for one night and couldn't fault it. It's in a spot on location with pent of pubs, bars and restaurants outside and near by. The rooms are just as expected and cant fault it for the money. Only cost us 4 quid in a taxi to get to the quayside where we had something to eat before walking up to the nightlife. Would definitely stay hear the next time I go up to Newcastle. Only down side was the breakfast we booked through reception for next door which was quite shoddy for 7 quid each.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
The Malhotra G, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed your short but sweet stay at the New Northumbria Hotel. We agree that the location of the hotel is great and you have everything you need in short walking distance or a small fee in cab journey. Sorry to hear that you was a little disappointed with the breakfast however and we will have a look into our offering.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

6 of us stayed here overnight to celebrate a 40th birthday, we arrived in a lovely clean modern reception and was greeted by a lovely receptionist, who put our luggage in a room as we were too early for check in, we then sat on the terrace and enjoyed a drink and pizza which were nice and well priced, the location of this hotel is ideal for jesmond area and into town via taxi. The rooms are a good size but way too hot! And the fridge didn't work even when we left our electric key in as told, it just was a pool of water in the bottom. The beds were soooo comfortable and I would have slept well had the room been cooler, areas of the hotel looked a little shabby and the bar staff need a little more training on knowing who is to be served next.
Breakfast was ok, but again too warm I had to ask for some ice as the fresh orange was warm, the butter ran off the paper and the waiting staff just weren't up to speed and the customer service was poor, but the food was nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 11Jlo

We are pleased to hear that you had a nice time celebrating a 40th Birthday. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning at the hotel however have recently invested in fans for the rooms due to the improvement of the English weather to try and help the heat. Sorry to hear about the fridge in your room - we will look into this and make sure that all is fixed and working properly.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback - we have taken your comments on board to help improve our services for future guests.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Very good location - near Jesmond metro stop. Reception staff delightful.
However... lots of noise- firstly from the hotel owned bar below and all the hen, stag, and wedding revellers of which there are many. Secondly they all come back in throughout the early hours causing a good deal of disruption. To cap it all, the intermittent fire bells started alarming from 04.30 followed about a half hour later by the night staff knocking on doors asking us all to evacuate.
i guess it took about 40 minutes for the fire brigade to check the place and then we went back to bed. Don't know the reason for it. We tipped up for breakfast at 9.20ish - pretty bleary (not surprisingly) and I really wish we'd not bothered. Breakfast was poor value for the £7 per head we'd paid at check-in and the service from one waitress pretty grumpy. Maybe she'd stayed over too.

So my advice to guests is - take ear plugs and request a quiet room if you are not part of the wedding party and do not pay the extra for breakfast. There are some nice delis/bistros round the corner where you can get a stack of pancakes etc failing that there is a Waitrose just up the road where for less than £7 you could take away a breakfast fit for a king.

My advice to the hotel - why on earth can't you put any single guests clearly not involved in a wedding/hen/stag /football party in your quiet rooms?

it's pretty tough i can tell you if you have a long car journey the day after such a disrupted night.

I have tried to make contact with this hotel twice through their website but have had no response. I wouldn't mind a refund for that breakfast particularly after the fire alarm business.

Watch this space.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
The Malhotra G, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We’re pleased that you were happy with the location of the hotel and our team, of which we are extremely proud. But we’re sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay at the New Northumbria Hotel. Due to our health and safety procedures and guest welfare, we need to evacuate the building if the fire alarm goes off, which I’m sure you can understand. We’re sorry that this disrupted your night. However all procedures need to be carried out for the guaranteed safety of our guests. We are also sorry to hear that you felt the breakfast was not value for money. Our breakfast offering and pricing is in line with most other comparable hotels and we feel that it is priced correctly.

We do try and room manage when allocating guests rooms, depending on their reasons for staying, however on busy nights when the hotel is full, room allocation can be harder to achieve.

We aim to reply to all hotel enquiries within 24 hours of receipt, but we don’t have a record of your complaint to the hotel. If you would like to contact us directly, please email info@thenewnorthumbriahotel.co.uk.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here only 1 night, but really enjoyed it - free upgrade notwithstanding! The hotel staff were so friendly I actually felt like I had known them all my life!
The hotel was further away from work than I realised and then when got there I couldn't find where to park. I phoned the hotel - got excellent directions from the young man on reception and arrived safe and sound - though very tired. Just a note that there are not that many parking spaces and they are round the back of the hotel.
Got to hotel reception and was greeted with the news that I had an upgrade to a suite. Never had an upgrade before so was very excited about it.
When I got to the room - it was excellent! Well decorated and furnished with a living room section, and the bed is the biggest I've ever slept in. I decided to go to Osborne's bar for my meal - a sport's bar attached to the hotel and the food was lovely. I even got buy one get one free on the drink I had!
I took the dessert back to the room with me. Another note: I could have had room service from the Italian restaurant also attached to the hotel (but I just decided to venture forth!). Back in the room I finished my meal while enjoying the TV and free Wi-Fi.

The breakfast the following morning was plentiful and well cooked.

Now for the not so good: in the room across from mine there was a party of inconsiderate people - no idea how many of them, but were knocking on the door individually from about 11.30 onwards and 'hee-hawing' and screeching voices could be heard very loudly from then on. I reported this to reception and there was no delay in someone coming upstairs to have a word with these 'guests', but to little effect unfortunately. Thank goodness I always travel with ear plugs!!! If not for this matter the score would have been a clear 5.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lesleybEngland

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a fab review. We are glad to hear you appreciated the complimentary upgrade and also enjoyed a meal and drinks at our onsite Bar - Osbornes - It seems you did well with our "push the button" happy hour game.

I'm very sorry to hear about the other inconsiderate guests that you mention in your review. We do have a strict procedures within the hotel for guests acting in such a way but will look into these closely for if an incident like this happens again.

I hope this has not put you off returning to the hotel, we hope to see you when your next in the area.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our football team 'Real Sociable Dads' decided to go to Newcastle as part of a world cup football tournament. We required the hotel to provide accommodation, drinks and food for nearly 30 lads and the hotel staff made this process easy.

They took a genuine interest in trying to help us make it a special occasion and were always willing to help. Some examples were flexibility around room bookings, drinks and food orders. They even reserved an area for us on a very busy Saturday night for our lads to watch the football.

The hotel location was perfect for us as it was a short taxi ride into the city centre. The hotel and rooms were smartly presented and comfortable. I would recommend any large groups to consider this hotel if they are visiting the area not just for a competitive price but for the quality of service you receive.

Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank steven_gibson87

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm glad that the Real Sociable Dads enjoyed their trip up to Newcastle and glad we made your stay as comfortable as possible. Thank you for recommending to others and we hope to see you all again when your next in the area :)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

And I always carry ear plugs! Over the years I've always found that no matter how hard any hotel tries, you always get the odd scrubber who will single handedly disrupt everyone else's stay. This hotel is fairly plush, but has no aircon so gets really sweaty even with the windows open. This place also tries to be all things to all people. Bustling restaurant, yep. Two very lively bars, yep. Noisy outdoor seating areas, yep. My room was a suite which was nice and roomy, but located smack bang above all the hustle and bustle. Without the plugs this would have been a nightmare, but did cease at around 11pm every night. The shower was a bit of a pollava, but okay. Bed was nice and comfortable, and in my room (118) the free wifi was very strong. Overall, a pleasant stay (oh, car parking can be a challenge)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevinperree

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and give us your feedback. Due to the great location of the hotel on Osborne Road, there can be some external noise (especially over the weekend) - however all of the bars in the surrounding area do close at 11pm and therefore the noise should quieten around this time.

We are glad to hear that you remembered earplugs which helped with the external noise - we will look into maybe having spare earplugs within the hotel for guests who were not so organised.

It's great to hear that your bed was comfortable and you were able to make full use of our free wifi.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Have now stayed here 3 times, whilst visiting/collecting daughter from university, on each visit the staff were friendly and helpful. Great location - easy walk to metro or drive to the city centre. Parking can be tricky, but that is the same all over Newcastle (& any UK city). We have found the service and food in the Italian restaurant excellent. Bedrooms have always been clean. Will certainly stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah J
The Malhotra G, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. Its lovely to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us, enough so to visit us again when your next in the area. We do have a fab team at the hotel so its great to read such wonderful comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.