“Not what I expected:(”

Surtees Hotel
kirkham
“Not what I expected:(”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Bought a two night stay via a deal - if I had of paid full price I would of been angry.
The hotel website is misleading - the rooms did not look like the pictures:(
You had to park nearby at a cost of £11 per day:(
If you stay for a couple of days you don't get room service however we were asked if we needed clean towels, coffee etc and this was left outside our room, quite bizarre.
Breakfast was of a higher standard the second day.
Plus side the hotel is central:)
The bathroom ceiling had mould on it with the paint peeling off it was disgusting:(
I won't be staying again:(

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
SurteesHotel, Manager at Surtees Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear about the issues during your stay. I have spoken to the staff involved and apologise for this. In regards to the repair work for your room we have now implemented a full repair programme to all of our rooms to correct these issues.

Unfortunately we do advertise as having no car park, with it being a city centre hotel space is of a premium.

Once again thank you for your Review

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Smack in the center of the city, this hotel seems to be trying to be something it's not. Stayed for one night whilst attending a graduation ceremony. Very well situated for restaurants and bars but it was well populated by drunken teenagers and it was only Tuesday night ! You can park in the multi storey behind it but the clock kicks in at 8am and the traffic warden pounces by 8:15. You can buy one in the evening so you don't have to rush out in the morning. Didn't eat here - booked a breakfast but after sitting for 20 minutes and being ignored, I had to go - smelt nice though !
This hotel would be OK for a single night during the week (£40s pretty cheap) - the room was actually quite nice, but I would avoid it on a Friday / Saturday unless you're on a stag / hen do.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ralphandbola
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I would like to firstly like to address the problem you encountered during breakfast, this is not how our breakfast staff usually behave and would like to apologise for that.

In regards to your comment about Friday and Saturday nights I can completely understand where you are coming from, as you can imagine being a city centre hotel in one of the most popular cities in the UK for Stag and Hen do's, along with many other hotels in the area weekends tend to be one of our busiest periods.

Kinnegad, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Just returned home from my stay at the Surtees hotel, when we arrived I was completely dreading my stay judging by the front of the hotel, multistory car park, bins & an alley where it looked like homeless people were sleeping! When I got to the room I was pleasantly surprised, looked to be clean & bathroom was lovely! Unfortunately when we were going to bed that night the room was freezing as there was no heating on, it was actually colder in the room than outside, it didn't help that the duvet was extremely thin! The hotel doesn't look the best but it isn't all bad, the FEMALE receptionists were really nice & friendly but the man that was there the 1st night was very rude. The location is brilliant but I would consider staying somewhere different next time I'm in newcastle!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am glad that our receptionists were so welcoming and friendly and I have spoken to the Male member of staff involved.

We are so sorry you encountered problems with your heating during your stay and as such are having a brand new boiler installed within the next week, I am only sorry this wasn't in place for your your stay.

Once again that you for your review

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Good at the price. Stayed one night. I think I had the attic room which was very warm that weekend. Can be noisy with the sound of trains on the bridge overhead.
Although its an older hotel its decoration is reasonably modern and clean. Nice bright breakfast area and friendly staff.
At the price I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, It is always a pleasure to hear that a guest has enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad you found our prices reasonable and our bedrooms to your taste.

We hope to see you again soon

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Stayed here on a break, Was right in the city centre, Rooms were clean and nicely decorated, Breakfast was nice too, Staff where friendly.
Only don side was room was quite hot but did'nt sleep very well as right on the train line so pretty noisy.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EdinburghBlondee
edinburgh
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Booked this for a mid-week break for myself, sister, daughter and mother - we looked at the pictures on the site and it looked lovely and then we arrived and could not believe it the room was shall we say very tired or maybe it is called shabby chic - stained carpets, a yale lock on the door for secuirity, The entrance was not even attractive enter by a car park - on a steep hill and not 5 min walk from train station more like 15 minutes. Reception was not the most welcoming and then we had paid the extra £7.95 for full english breakfast which consisted of everything being cooked in the microwave unless you wanted fried eggs, toaster did not work properly and the dining room was like a school canteen - awful awful awful would not recommend this to anyone unless. Best thing they could do with it is demolish it.

Room Tip: pay the extra for another hotel nearer the town
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We are in the process of carrying out a full and thorough repair programme to all of our rooms and public areas and would like to apologise this was not done for your stay.

In regards to breakfast I am sorry you did not enjoy it, our breakfast is cooked to order with freshly prepared local ingredients with a wide variety of items available.

Once again thank you for your review

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Pretty awful place - entrance is behind a multistory car park and right next to what my taxi driver told me is a lap dancing club where he picks up the 'girls' from late at night.... great

Hotel is very worn, shabby and unloved.

Room was sparse and featured a smashed pane of glass in window, torn net curtain, carpet with tears in it. Duvets are thin and the towels are small, scratchy and thin.

Incredibly noisy - was VERY glad I had my earplugs with me... noise all night, bins right outside my windows and next to the multistory car park. The only good thing I could say is that the breakfast room ladies were lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us and apologise for the issues you encountered. We have recently implemented a full and thorough repair programme and can only apologise this was not in place when you stayed.

I am glad to hear that our breakfast staff made such a good impression.