“Decent stay apart from no working TV!!!”
Review of Surtees Hotel

Surtees Hotel
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Had a evening stay to get away from home while watching a theatre show as within walking distance to the theatre royal.

When we arrive it was a rather frosty reception as though they had never seen a same sex couple before! We were shown to the bar area which was cosy and clean and they didnt even have chanhe behind the bar.

lift wasnt working however even if it was working I wouldnt use for the fear of been stuck in it. The corridors were still full of dirty towels and laundry which we had to step over to get to our room.

The room was lovely, spacious and clean which surprised us with past comments although the net curtains could of been a bit cleaner but wasnt too much of a let down.

After the show we returned looking forward to a bath and relaxing to tv. The bath leaked all over the bathroom floor and the tv didnt even work!!

As there is no phones in the room I had to get dressed and go to reception to get the tv fixed. The receptionist must of thought I was talking in another language and came to have a look. He didnt have clue and just stoof looking at the TV for 5-10 mkns shrugging his shoulders and said to go back down to reception after midnight see if anyone can help... what is there to watch on a friday evening aftermidnight!!!

This would have been a perfect stay if the reception was more friendly, the bath didnt leak and the tv was working. All this for a valentines treat for my fiance was totally let down.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank mrandibrooke
There are newer reviews for Surtees Hotel

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We booked this short stay on a bargain Wowcher deal. Judging by some other reviews we were not expecting too much but were pleasantly surprised.
It was an old building with lots of strange twisting corridors, just like other old English hotels in town centres. I think you could say it had character - especially the olde worlde lift!
The hotel was recently refurbished, and the frontage was still covered by scaffolding, but not a problem.
It was very central and near the Megabus stop, the station, and the handy Q1 and Q2 bus routes.
Breakfast was very enjoyable - a wide choice of Full English, cereals, and continental stuff. Nice selection of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits in the room - and a decent bottle of Merlot on our deal too, Cheers!
The staff that we met were all very pleasant and helpful.
We loved Newcastle and would happily stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room with a nice view. We got as good a view as you could expect in a city cent...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms definitely need dusting coving,headboard, vent in bathroom from the housekeeper, however the cleanliness to bath,toilet and sink area and bed were good. Condiment area very Clean, fan heater not working, radiator not working room cold reported to reception who forgot and reported to maintainance next day. Lift wasn't working when we arrived, on return from our night out we couldn't get to our room receptionist had forgot to inform us of the code to get through the door to our floor. On the whole Surtees is situated in an excellent area in easy reach of restaurants and bars. Breakfast is excellent variety of choice, friendly staff. Rooms are adequate and comfy can't fault, just need more attention to cleanliness. Would definitely stay again but not at the hotel prices used a wowcher
deal.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank LoveTravel304
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Needed a basic hotel in the centre of town for a quick turnaround between a late night meeting and an early train, and the Surtees came out cheapest.
Nice room, not spacious but a quirky shape under the eaves; recently refurbed and a comfy bed.
Only gripes, they might have included some double glazing in the job. The combination of some late night carousing, skips of bottles being emptied, and the trains on the nearby viaduct were not conducive to the best nights sleep we have ever had! More serious gripe, the bath was lethally slippery and needs a mat or a safety coating. The quaint and original lift was a bit of a pain as other guests were leaving the doors open and immobilising it on upper floors!

Still, if you want to be near the station, you might expect to hear the trains! Cannot comment on the catering, we decamped to Wetherspoon's opposite said station for breakfast!

Room Tip: Go for one on the quiet side! Not a great view from the noisier front anyway!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cx P
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my other half as a nice weekend away in Newcastle. We were greatly looking forward to our weekend away until we seen the very state of the hotel.

- Scabby entrance .
- Male toilets smells like strong urine.
- The manager's attitude was appalling.
- The lift looked about 300 year old and it did not seem safe at all.
- The breakfast was disgusting and the milk did not smell too good!

Don't even get me started on the room, there was 2 big black hairs on the bed, there was still dry toothpaste on the sink from the previous occupant of the room. the carpet was all frayed and the headboard was thick of dust. The noise from the cars and nightlife outside was very off putting, also the hideous car park which the hotel (hostel should I say) was a sight for sore eyes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank humdergirl45
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Four of us stayed 2-4 January. We were worried because of previous bad reviews. We arrived to find that only one room had been booked for us. The receptionist quickly allocated another room and we signed in. We didn't fancy the old style lift so elected to climb the stairs to the second floor.

As previous reviewers have said the stair carpet is badly stained with what looks like tar
Our rooms, 25 and 29 were good sized. The carpet in room 29 had several red stains which we took to be make up. Room 25 when we approached it, the carpet was shredded at the threshold due to the door rubbing on it. There was a sour smell which might came from the bathroom. The bed however was clean and comfy.

We should have had a free bottle of wine in our rooms. We had to ask on checkout for them.

The breakfast was good, fresh and plentiful. There was a choice of cereals, fresh fruit, pastries and muffins, full English whith toast, tea, coffee and juices. Breakfast staff were particularly friendly.

I left a pair of shoes in room 25 and phoned when I realised on Monday 6th. I twice spoke to Laura who knew about the shoes but was waiting for housekeeping finishing (late afternoon ) to tell her where they were.

I called again on Tuesday , didn't get the receptionists name, and asked if the shoes could be posted first class recorded delivery and gave my card details.

I called on Wednesday as the shoes hadn't arrived and was told by Laura that the Tuesday receptionist had taken them to post office and if I called on Thursday after 3.00 pm she would be back on duty and I could get the Royal Mail tracking number then.

I called on Jenny who only works Thursdays and after listening to my tale offered to text all of the girls and find out who had posted my shoes and get the tracking number for me. Within 10 minutes she called back to tell me that my shoes hadn't been posted because they didn't have my address !

I called again on Friday and spoke to Luke . He took my shoes and posted them and then phoned me with the tracking number. My shoes were delivered on Saturday .

I would like to say a HUGE thanks to jenny and Luke. For their excellent customer service . To Laura and the other receptionist whose name I don't have, SHAME ON YOU for your poor attitude to customers.

I had thought I would return to the surtees but have now decided not to.

Room Tip: If you are looking for honesty go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hamish01
SurteesHotel, General Manager at Surtees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all reviews are important to us and allow us to see any changes we need to make.

We are undergoing a full replacement of carpets in all the public areas and i'm sorry this was not done in time for your stay.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfasts with us and I would like to apologise that the wine from your deal was not in your rooms on arrival.

I apologise for the confusion in regards to the return of your shoes. It was myself you spoke to on the Monday and all of your details were passed onto the late receptionist to contact you once housekeeping had finished. I'm sorry that they did not contact you. I have spoken to the Receptionist in question as this is not the level of customer service we wish to provide, unfortunately i was on annual leave from the Tuesday so did not realise they had not been posted back sooner.

I am however glad that both Luke and Jenny were helpful and rectified this for you. I do hope you will use us again.

Kind Regards

Laura Thynne
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the surtees at the beginning of december for two nights. Although it is not a luxury hotel you do get more than you pay for. The room which we opted for deluxe was clean the bed linen was clean and the shower worked very efficiently. There was tea and coffe making and we had a bottle of wine in our deal. It was a little noisy due to the wood floor in the corridor and of course city centre location can always tend to be noisy. The breakfast was superb cooked to order plentiful and pleasant waitress and cook. Far better than i have enjoyed in more expensive hotels,, all in all a very pleasant stay, we will certainly return and suggest if you require luxurious surroundings then prepare to pay much more. However if you feel you want excellent location in centre of newcastle clean bed and excellent breakfast on a budget , you will be happy

Angela connor december 2013

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room and look forward to great breakfast
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
SurteesHotel, General Manager at Surtees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel, we appreciate all feedback from guests and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay.

We do pride ourselves on providing delicious breakfast and an enjoyable guest experience and hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards