Surtees Hotel
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$104
US$101
  • Breakfast included
US$96
  • Pool
Village Hotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$66
Novotel Newcastle Airport(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$68
  • Pool
US$95
US$88
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$252
US$123
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
US$125
US$122
US$99
US$90
Priceline
  • Restaurant
easyHotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$52
Official Hotel Site
    All reviewscity centrehotel entrancean ironfull englishnight lifelight sleeperbit datedtyne bridgequaystoiletries
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 22 February 2014

This has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in it shouldn't even be called a "hotel" more like a knocking shop up the side of an ally way next to a lap dancing club.
    At first view me and my friend weren't too sure of the hotel as its out the way up the side of an ally with about 20 stairs to climb, we had 2 heavy suitcases to carry after travelling for hours - it wasn't ideal but we thought we would give the hotel a chance maybe it'd be better inside. we couldn't be more wrong!
    Soon as we entered the reception area we immediately felt intimidated and frightened by two old men sat staring at us whilst we checked in. Still giving it a chance, we checked in and got given the key for the room, we were on floor 2.
    As we walked round to the lift area we see it is out of service and we had to again drag 2 heavy cases up the stairs, never got asked if we wanted any help or anything all we got was two weird guys staring at us. What we did realize is that the lift was filled with junk.
    Took us a good 10/15 mins to get up the stairs as I was pulling my friends case to because she is pregnant. We get to floor 2 and the only way it can be described is a seedy disgusting horror movie. We felt unsafe and frightened before we even entered the room. Not to mention there was a huge crack in one of the doors as if someone had put a hammer or knife through it.

Once in the room we immediately didn't want to be there many things were wrong:
    1. a crack in the window, causing an extreme draft with not a very nice view, brick wall.
    2. the windowsill was sticky and disgusting
    3. the carpet was sticky and moldy/full of stains
    4. the plug socket had a huge crack in it, could have been electrocuted
    5. the windows had a sticky substance on them, don't even want to know what it was
    6. the toilet pan had hairs all around and so did the bath
    7. the disgusting smell as soon as we entered the room.

We physically couldn't stay here, two young girls in this hotel was far from safe.
    Luckily we booked into another hotel called Sleeperz which is the best one I've stayed in by far.
    After paying £49 for a room, we didn't even stay in and we didn't even take our jackets off or use any of the facilitates we were refused a refund due to some "company policy" rubbish.

The reception lady was so rude, she didn't even care that we weren't staying or asked if she could be of any help all she could say was "all hotels in newcastle are the same with stag do's etc" which they aren't! Once we came down the stairs to leave there was about 15 men standing checking in all watching us leave, obviously staying there to go to the lap dancing club. That shook us and we couldn't wait to get out.

Once outside i almost tripped down the stairs then noticed there was a bit of marble hanging off the stair case. So dangerous.

Would go as far as saying this place should be shut down completely it is a sad excuse for a "hotel" the photos on the website are far from what the actual place looks like.
    Its made out to be this nice hotel when really its not, its more like a knocking shop for guys to take unfortunate girls back to. Disgusting.

If you were looking to catch an STI by sitting on the bed sheets or wanted to be near a seedy lap dancing club then this hotel is for you otherwise i wouldn't waste my time.

I will not be stopping until I get a reply from the manager regarding my refund.

STAY CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    go to SLEEPERZ hotel instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
    1  Thank 689emma
    Reviewed 18 February 2014

I agree with Lord Muck - we got what we paid for - description of the quaintness of hotel was spot on. Yes the lift was out of order but come on - who dosn't need a bit of exercise now and again - and I have two hip replacements. The breakfast was lovely - fresh fruit and not just your ordinary grapefruit/oranges - there was grapes, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, pears, apples etc. Great value for money and yes we had the scaffolding outside which was no problem.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Glynis D
    Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked a good priced luxury/deluxe double room for Valentines day through booking.com. When booking, the room advertised certainly looked luxury and was significantly biggee than the other standard rooms. When we arrived the building was surrounded by scaffolding so we couldnt locate the hotel initially. When we arrived at the room we had been given a standard twin room. Unhappy i reported this at reception. The girl asked if we were going out that evening and when i confirmed we were she advised she would convert the room to a double for us. We werent able to change rooms as the hotel was full. I thought the offer to convert the room was the best they could do. When we arrived back at the hotel, at this point id already fallen on the wet mouldy stairs coming into the hotel, the room had not been changed. Upset and feeling like our weekend had been ruined i visited reception. The girl blamed me for not telling them we were going out despite her speaking to us when she was smoking on our way out and not asking me to do that in the first instance. I advised i had fallen on the stairs and wad told thats not their fault, its the councils. I will be complaining to the hotel for a refund, i feel i am entitled to the difference in price between the small twin and the deluxe double we paid for. I was told the room we got was deluxe as that means it can be converted. Unsure how a standard room can be any smaller than the one we received. Really unhappy and disapointed with service received.

• Stayed: February 2014
    1  Thank weekendsaway2
    Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Had a evening stay to get away from home while watching a theatre show as within walking distance to the theatre royal.

When we arrive it was a rather frosty reception as though they had never seen a same sex couple before! We were shown to the bar area which was cosy and clean and they didnt even have chanhe behind the bar.

lift wasnt working however even if it was working I wouldnt use for the fear of been stuck in it. The corridors were still full of dirty towels and laundry which we had to step over to get to our room.

The room was lovely, spacious and clean which surprised us with past comments although the net curtains could of been a bit cleaner but wasnt too much of a let down.

After the show we returned looking forward to a bath and relaxing to tv. The bath leaked all over the bathroom floor and the tv didnt even work!!

As there is no phones in the room I had to get dressed and go to reception to get the tv fixed. The receptionist must of thought I was talking in another language and came to have a look. He didnt have clue and just stoof looking at the TV for 5-10 mkns shrugging his shoulders and said to go back down to reception after midnight see if anyone can help... what is there to watch on a friday evening aftermidnight!!!

This would have been a perfect stay if the reception was more friendly, the bath didnt leak and the tv was working. All this for a valentines treat for my fiance was totally let down.

• Stayed: February 2014
    3  Thank mrandibrooke
    Reviewed 7 February 2014

We booked this short stay on a bargain Wowcher deal. Judging by some other reviews we were not expecting too much but were pleasantly surprised.
    It was an old building with lots of strange twisting corridors, just like other old English hotels in town centres. I think you could say it had character - especially the olde worlde lift!
    The hotel was recently refurbished, and the frontage was still covered by scaffolding, but not a problem.
    It was very central and near the Megabus stop, the station, and the handy Q1 and Q2 bus routes.
    Breakfast was very enjoyable - a wide choice of Full English, cereals, and continental stuff. Nice selection of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits in the room - and a decent bottle of Merlot on our deal too, Cheers!
    The staff that we met were all very pleasant and helpful.
    We loved Newcastle and would happily stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room with a nice view. We got as good a view as you could expect in a city centre street, of nice old buildings full of office workers.
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple