“Not as bad as some of these reviews state!”
Review of Surtees Hotel

Surtees Hotel
Reviewed 10 May 2014

i stayed at this hotel last weekend (bank holiday sunday) there was a group of 16 in total in 8 rooms. the rooms were fine, we used the hotel to get changed in then to return after a night out so what we got for the price we paid was fair. we did not expect the Ritz for the price we paid but what we did get was absolutly fine, the room was clean and the staff were helpful.
there was a problem with one room when checked in as it was already occupied but this was soon sorted without any problems.
people have stated that there was noisy from outside- well it is in the city centre so expected.
for a hen party thats looking for central hotel thats not going to cost a bomb and only a base to get changed and head down then this hotel is ideal!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I recently stayed and was put in room 341 and i thought i was going to faint. The heat was incredible with little ventilation. My room had no tv remote which i asked about in reception. 40 minutes later with no remote forthcoming and on the brink of collapse i requested another room. I was put in another larger room but the shower wouldn't work. When i reported this on my leaving the staff replied "yeah, it's always a bit difficult that one!" Still, on the plus side my tomatoes are blooming!

Room Tip: Avoid room 341 at all costs!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The staff were friendly and sorted out the shower but not the sink. To be fair the sheets were clean and the towels were ok but the room needed a complete overhall, the carpet was ....... It was also very noises, bottles being put in trash bins late into the night. People shouting and banging doors, lift not working. So all in all not a good place to stay!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've just stopped in this hotel this weekend for a hen party, we booked out 6 rooms and 4 of them had problems. One of the rooms had what we think was blood up the walls, sick and poo plastered to the toilet bowl. They also found a toe nail IN THE BED!!!
One room was supposed to be a triple but had 2 single beds and a camp bed which was unsuitable for an adult.
One was that hot she couldn't sleep.
The other there was no bathroom light so had to get ready in the dark, we did get the bulb changed but it was too late as we were nearly ready to go out. 2 lamps in the bathroom didn't work either. The other lights worked intermittently.
On check in 11 of us had to pay £50 per person as a bond incase we made noise or did damage to the rooms!!! What a joke. It wasn't refunded till the rooms were inspected the next morning. It's a shame they didn't check them before we arrived!!
We were given partial refunds but would rather have had a nice room. My advice is to stay clear and pay that little bit extra for a nice place.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Melnwap
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Room 341 is a no go!!way too hot,little prison window that no air got in at all.fan a waist of time .the roof was too low and could put ur feet on in whe laid in bed,this should be used as a store room .lift was hard work to close the shutters ,

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed here this week for a business trip as we needed a budget hotel.
I wouldn't be staying here again. It's in the city centre, so expected some noise but it was impossible to sleep through the trains, motorway traffic, church bells, fight outside my window in the street and bars emptying their bottles in the early hours of the morning. Investing in some double glazing may be the way forward.
I stayed in room 341, an attic room, which was quite quirky. It had nice décor, a good selection of teas/coffees, an iron and ironing board and good toiletries. It was, however, unbearably hot! One wall was hot to touch - I'm not sure what was behind it. There was no remote control and when I asked for one, I was given two that didn't work, and was promised it would be sorted the next day, which it wasn't. The bathroom had good decor, but the hook behind the door was broken and the loo roll holder was practically falling off. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned when I came back at the end of day 1.
My business colleague's shower didn't work - again, he was told this would be mended the next day, and it wasn't.
The breakfast room was airy, light and large with original wood floors - a nice room and a good cooked breakfast.
The lift is the original 1923 model with sliding cage doors - one handle was missing and I nearly caught my hands in it. The stairs are grubby.
This is a real mixed bag of a place - they have obviously spent money doing up the rooms, but they are missing the finer details. The upkeep lets them down and there is just something a bit lacking about the place.
My main reasons for not going back are due to the noise (out of their control but double glazing would help) and the hot room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 341as it's extremely hot!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dramaqueenBelize
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We chose this hotel on past recommendation for a "nice" hotel for a a group of long standing friends, all over 60, to be greeted with a request for for a £100 per couple deposit to be reimbursed on room inspection on check out. I have never been so insulted.
The rooms were very basic, bar not well stocked and generally a run down feeling. poor value for the cost per night
There is a a noisy bar underneath the hotel which we didn't expect.

We did enjoy our exploration of Newcastle, and ate in very nice restaurants and lovely old pubs

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple