“Filthy - Dont waste your money”
Review of Surtees Hotel

Surtees Hotel
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Considering the website says this hotel is recently refurbished, I don't think slapping a bit of paint on the walls counts. The entrance is at the back of the street and the first thing you are welcomed with are a line of dirty bins.

I got this hotel through a wowcher deal but didn't expect the worst room in the building because it was cheap. The bedding and towels were clean but that was all that was. My first room was room 35, an attic room. This room was on the third floor and with no lift there were a lot of stairs to have to carry all the luggage up. It seemed to be a longstanding problem as the receptionist was advising people to get their room cards reset before walking all the way up to their rooms in case they didnt work properly, The first thing I noticed was that the net curtains were black with dirt. The woodwork of the old sash windows was also filthy. The carpet hadn't seen a hoover for a very long time and I wouldnt walk on it without footwear. The bathroom door didn't shut at all but that was probably ok because the fan in there was that full of dust it didn't stand a chance of working. The strip on the bottom of the shower screen was black with mould and teh shower was broken, however I managed to fix that myself.

The room overlooked a train line and during the night the surrounding bars and restaurants were constantly emptying bottle bins. It was so stiflingly hot that it was impossible to sleep with the windows closed and with the noise outside impossible to sleep with them open!

Apparently the manager is the only person who can deal with room issues so I had to sleep in the room for a night until she relocated me into a superior room........... OMG it was worse than the first one, just a larger room for more dirt to accumulate. The bathroom had pink limescale and mould everywhere, the floor was filthy and I could see the dirt on the skirting board when I walked in.

I didnt dare go to try the breakfast which was included because god knows what the state of the kitchen is, I wouldnt even make a coffee in my room.

The place really was the dirtiest I have ever seen

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Doowy

Reviewed 7 June 2014

stayed here at thishotel monday to thursday 26th-29th may 2014. Booked hotel through booking.com 5 adults, which are family members. Everting was perfect from checking in and checking out at the end of my stay. We wasnt able to go to our rooms before 2pm as we arrived early but this wasnt a problem, the man on reception happily kept our bags for us in reception so we could have a walk around and show cousin and uncle the sites. Upon check in your given a keycard this lets you in yourroom and for the electric use ect. always hand this card in to reception when leaving the hotel i think this is a good idea due to the fact, if you get a bit merry you may lose your card or in any case of a fire/emergency they know who is in and who is out of there rooms.
Rooms..i asked for when booking for middle floor and middle floor is what we got! few steps but wasnt halaf as bad as last visit was on top floor! lol eeeek!
rooms are fantastic we was 37 & 38 beautiful batrooms, lovely shower and bat which didnt use!

Towels are given to you daily and you get loads! tea coffee making facilites with drinking choc and biscuits! lovely little touch!

Staff are faultless always welcoming day staff and the change of the night staff.
I cant understand why people are giving tis hotel negative reviews? they state its loud..you know it would be loud your bang in the middle of the city?!

carpets are worn..yes and?! surtees have loads of people coming and going, do you people stand and pick out the minor points?! seriously!

this hotel in my view if your stopping 1 night to a week or more..is perfect your near everything or a 15 min ride from metrocentre shopping place.

hotel and staff are faultless and a credit to the hotel, My 4th visit here every review has been the same, I enjoy stopping here knowing i will have a fab room.

so thankyou guys for a pleasent stay at your hotel, you should be proud of yourselfs!

THANKYOU! =)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Good location once you find it and manage to get parked. Beds were clean and comfy, bathroom was adequate, no bath. Carpets had stains but reception was aware of this. Noisy with the window open, but it is a city. We were booked as a hen party with 6 rooms, we were split over 3 floors. Lift wasnt working so it was a bit of a trek for us on the 3rd floor. We didnt eat in the hotel so cant comment on the food. Staff were friendly. Room deposits were returned quickly.

Room Tip: We were in room 31. It is a large room, only downside was no bath.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice little hotel thats practically in the middle of the city. Our room was nice and clean but other photos show dirty ones. Only complaints: couldn't open windows, no milk for tea etc. bathroom fan broken and fuseboard in room was not in a safe condition.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very good location and clean bedding but that's about it! Carpets not cleaned, bathrooms dirty and dusty and just generally drab! My shower did not work so I went downstairs to ask about it and was offered the key to another room to use the shower...what! No lock on bathroom door, windows that had to be kept opened with a cup, missing bulbs and dirty window dressings. Initial impressions were poor, dirty floors, stairs and these impressions continued. Unhelpful staff and quite frankly rude! Worst hotel experience ever - yes it was cheap, but really!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sambojambo1977
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Paid £95 for a double room for one night (only because everywhere else I would normally stay was fully booked), this did not live up to the standards of other hotels in Newcastle offering similar rates. The hotel is down an alley which already posits a negative impression. The reception is old and scruffy looking. Our room had a hair on the bed, the mugs were still wet, the walls were all scratched and were seriously in need of a few coats of paint, the carpet was destroyed and the windows were unbelievably hard to close. The decor itself is nice but it does not distract from all the other faults. I am not a fussy person but this is the worst hotel I've stayed in, a travelodge is a massive improvement compared to this!! I had booked to stay here again in September and have just cancelled and booked the Sandman Signature instead for pretty much the same price and that is definitely worth the money!! Would not stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Chloe M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Check in was a total joke, 1 person and she kept stopping to deal with people pushing in the queue. Charged me the wrong amount - I told her, she told me it was right and then demanded I pay the right amount the next day on check out. She was also the bar staff so although the bar was open we had to wait ages to be served so gave up. At breakfast we were told to wait because the waitress was too stressed to serve us and then we were told we had already eaten - we had to argue to get our food and all of this made us late for an appointment. They also didn't have the rooms we booked so we ended up paying more for an extra room because they had messed up and when I tried to get this discounted they became rude and abrupt with me and it was made clear that our deposits £50 each would not be returned if I didn't pay it. Still waiting for the transactions to be processed and dreading another mess up. Extremely poor service and I'm out of pocket too.

• Stayed: May 2014