“In need of a revamp”

Surtees Hotel
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“In need of a revamp”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

First time ever in Newcastle. Went on a hen do. Hotel quite grubby in parts and did not get value for money £100 a room r u kidding me. Windows wouldn't stay open had to use coat hangers. Breakfast not included. Won't ever go back. Surrounding areas are unkempt. Never seen as much bird poo in my whole life. Streets look like they never get cleaned. Only positive people are really nice and friendly

Room Tip: Go to premier inn you can't go wrong
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Farr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Surtees hotel... After reading the reviews I have to say that I was a little worried but for £45 I had to remember this is a city centre hotel.

First off on entering the hotel it is a little dated but clean and the male staff person was welcoming and informative. Yes I have to agree the alley way is steps but there is another way in a few yards away that has no steps.

On entering then room in have to say i was pleasantly surprised. OK I did as when booking on booking.com for a double bed and got a single but all I needed was a bed. But the bed was comfy and I have to say I slept well. But like many city centre hotels thenoutside noise can be heard but I was at the back in room 233 so not so bad. Down side over looked by a car park. But just close the curtains you would at home.

The young lady in the evening yet again was helpful WiFi was an issue but that was sorted really fast it isn't the fasted or stable but I have stayed in expensive hotels that are either charging for worse or you get no WiFi but in public areas. I am writing this sat on the bed in my room.

I am not having the breakfast but that is due to the fact that £7.95 is not what I will pay for breakfast because I don,'t eat that much at home.

Now you can see from the photos that there were a couple of issues but nothing that bad. I have stayed in chain hotels that have been worse. Attention to detail isnwhatnis needed.

1. The unused broken curtain rail fittings need removing windows need a little love and diy on them and a good clean.

2. A silly thing but I had no teaspoon this morning to make coffee or tea in the room. Small thing but I could have gone and asked for one. I managed.

3. The bathroom was clean and tidy toiletries provided if needed soft ttowels. The sshower was good but the grout needs a good going over and scrubbing in places this I think is due to age. But not a problem. Softer toilet paper and some tissues would have been nice.

4. The lift....what can I say about that? I didn't use it because on a arrival it was being used by staff to bring down laudrey and on other times it just didn't seem to be working but I think it may have been due to other guests not following the instructions on closing the doors.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

Room Tip: If you can a room at the back of the hotel it is quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend spent 1 night here and we thought it was brilliant.
Fab location, plenty of pub's, clubs and restaurants around the hotel.
Yes the hotel it a bit dated and does need a lick of paint but who's really bothered about that.
Our room was spacious and airy. There was an iron and board, a hair dryer and a fan in the room.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I would definately stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie H
Irvine, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My partner got a wowcher deal for my birthday. We got 2 nights b&b and a bottle of wine as part of the deal. The hotel was in a great location (right in the heart of town) beds very comfortable, breakfast good and staff very friendly. There isnt much of a view as we looked onto a multi story car park but we weren't there to stare out of a window. We went to experience the toon. Great time. Lovely hotel. (Prob wouldn't wanna be there at a weekend, full of stag and hen parties. But who would :-) )

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 768joannef
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

True the entrance isn't grand but this hotel is exceptionally well placed for exploring Newcastle's rich history, waterfront & shopping areas. The staff were always pleasant & helpful, the small lounge/bar area comfortable to relax in. The shower wasn't too good, needed descaling on the tiles but the room was clean, well appointed & the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was superb, great selection of items including various fruits, cereals & cooked items to order. Clipper tea was a very welcome sight. Great value for money

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinklady0207
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Usually when reading reviews you expect some people to over-exaggerate and have a moan just for the sake of it so when reading the previous reviews we didn't think it could be as bad as was made out - IT IS!!

On arrival on Sunday 22nd June, we checked in at around 240pm (can check in from 2) after being too scared to try the dodgy looking lift we climbed 3 flights of steep narrow steps and walked along a rabbit warren of narrow corridors (with more steps!) to eventually arrive at our room to find two maids sitting around in our room, not cleaning. The room was not quite ready for occupation yet.

In the room;
- blinds were broken
- window didn't stay open (jammed open with mug!)
- only a tiny fan to combat sweltering heat
- shower/bath leaked all over bathroom floor
- electricity tripped out twice during our 2 night stay - however this was fixed promptly by man on reception when told
- room keys had to be reset on second day as didn't work (found out after trekking up to room!)
- despite being on third floor, was incredibly noisy. Single glazed windows which had to be jammed open because of sweltering heat
- close buildings either side so had to keep blinds fully down whenever changing/using bathroom

On the positive side, bed was comfy and room was spacious and hotel is in an excellent location for city centre. Would be a good place for hen/stag party (but not for the other guests!)

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

was looking for city center hotels in new castle and came around to £50 for two nights (weekend/ double room). Staff were pleasant, rooms were good, a bit dark. toilet furnishings were good. It was very close to the center and well placed. paid car park just behind which was very handy. we had a room facing away from the road.

Room Tip: 500yards from the shopping center and restaurants and amenities.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple