“Great city centre location”
Review of Surtees Hotel

Surtees Hotel
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights here and couldn't fault the location or the rooms , the staff were very friendly and helpful. With a car park right across the road from it we were delighted. I would stay here again next time I am in Newcastle. Only slight fault can be noisy in the morning due to the railway bridge.

Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in better Premier inns and Travelodge hotels. On the positive, It is centrally located. The rooms have been updated and were clean. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
However, the negative, staff were not very friendly. The rooms were small, especially the bathroom. Only one person can fit in! The shower was dark as the light was insufficient. The tiles need a good clean. There is no aircon and room temp was tropical and uncomfortable. I would not stop again. I don't feel I had value for the price I paid.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here in May with a group of friends to see kings of leon. Rooms where average one of the rooms the sink was blocked and flooded the toilet. Biggest problem was the length of time it took for our room deposits to be put back into our bank accounts we were fobbed off with countless excuses of why this wasn't done right away, promised someone would call back etc eventually after numerous calls this was finally done. If staying here only pay by cash as one if the excuses was card details had been mislaid which in my opinion is a total breach of security. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lynsay1982
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Where to begin!!! We stayed as a group of 8 ladies for a hen party last Saturday night, we were aged from 30-60 years old so a varied age range. We were greeted with piles of sick leading upto the steps to the main entrance. The staff would probably have been more cheerful if they were on fire and to be honest I don't think they cared if we had a pleasant stay or not, no information was given referring hotel facilities, breakfast times or even what floor our room was on, which is like competing in the crystal maze trying to find our room. But even after this terrible start I thought for £125 for a twin room it's going to be a good standard. Well I couldn't have been more wrong the room was tiny, dirty, and the temperature of the amazon jungle, ( air con is defiantly needed in the rooms) it stunk of smoke and dirty toilets. The bathroom was the same standard, the shower curtain was filthy the walls had dirt splattered up them so overall not good. I understand we were a hen party but to me that doesn't mean we wanted to stay in a cheap, missal hotel. Sadly that's what we got. The only positive I can give this place is the fab breakfast, served and cooked by the only pleasant two members of staff there, it was cooked to order and tasted great, so well done ladies you were the only thing that shone in this disappointing place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillian W
Reviewed 13 July 2014

First time ever in Newcastle. Went on a hen do. Hotel quite grubby in parts and did not get value for money £100 a room r u kidding me. Windows wouldn't stay open had to use coat hangers. Breakfast not included. Won't ever go back. Surrounding areas are unkempt. Never seen as much bird poo in my whole life. Streets look like they never get cleaned. Only positive people are really nice and friendly

Room Tip: Go to premier inn you can't go wrong
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Surtees hotel... After reading the reviews I have to say that I was a little worried but for £45 I had to remember this is a city centre hotel.

First off on entering the hotel it is a little dated but clean and the male staff person was welcoming and informative. Yes I have to agree the alley way is steps but there is another way in a few yards away that has no steps.

On entering then room in have to say i was pleasantly surprised. OK I did as when booking on booking.com for a double bed and got a single but all I needed was a bed. But the bed was comfy and I have to say I slept well. But like many city centre hotels thenoutside noise can be heard but I was at the back in room 233 so not so bad. Down side over looked by a car park. But just close the curtains you would at home.

The young lady in the evening yet again was helpful WiFi was an issue but that was sorted really fast it isn't the fasted or stable but I have stayed in expensive hotels that are either charging for worse or you get no WiFi but in public areas. I am writing this sat on the bed in my room.

I am not having the breakfast but that is due to the fact that £7.95 is not what I will pay for breakfast because I don,'t eat that much at home.

Now you can see from the photos that there were a couple of issues but nothing that bad. I have stayed in chain hotels that have been worse. Attention to detail isnwhatnis needed.

1. The unused broken curtain rail fittings need removing windows need a little love and diy on them and a good clean.

2. A silly thing but I had no teaspoon this morning to make coffee or tea in the room. Small thing but I could have gone and asked for one. I managed.

3. The bathroom was clean and tidy toiletries provided if needed soft ttowels. The sshower was good but the grout needs a good going over and scrubbing in places this I think is due to age. But not a problem. Softer toilet paper and some tissues would have been nice.

4. The lift....what can I say about that? I didn't use it because on a arrival it was being used by staff to bring down laudrey and on other times it just didn't seem to be working but I think it may have been due to other guests not following the instructions on closing the doors.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would.

Room Tip: If you can a room at the back of the hotel it is quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend spent 1 night here and we thought it was brilliant.
Fab location, plenty of pub's, clubs and restaurants around the hotel.
Yes the hotel it a bit dated and does need a lick of paint but who's really bothered about that.
Our room was spacious and airy. There was an iron and board, a hair dryer and a fan in the room.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I would definately stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends