Having sifted through tonnes of Newcastle hotels for our visit, this one came up best for the combination of star rating-value-location. And at 3* they've probably got it about right,
It's just alright. Lacks attention to detail would be a way they could improve.
We stayed in one of the third floor rooms, i've forgotten the number, out of the lift and first on the right.
Although it looks to have been recently refurbished, and the actual fittings and furniture of good quality. There were certain areas that lacked attention.
The cleaner does an ok job, but there is dust if you're looking for it.
Nice tea tray with biscuits and varioys drinks, hair dryer, good bedding and comfortable bed are a plus.
But, the bathroom extraction is dreadful, and the ceiling is starting to mould even though it looks pretty new. There's no heat in the bathroom and the towel warmer and shower basket are both broken.
In the bedroom, there are no less than three electric fan heater, one high on the wall, which doesn't work, another on the opposite wall, lower under the windows, also doesn't work. The cleanliness and amount of dust gathered in the vents of these is quite disgusting. A third new free-standing one is working and very efficient - might be an idea to get rid of the other two though?
Breakfast, again, ok, quickly served by friendly staff. I couldn't eat the sausages, they were the strangest tasting sausages I've ever encountered.
reception staff helpful and friendly. Bar available if you need it, and lounge, we didn't use these.
Good location, and well priced for the spot it's in compared to it's competitors.
There were previous comments on reviews about a noisy bar underneath the hotel, this looks to have closed down, or it's not open midweek when we were there. So don't let that put you off.
All in all, average, would return, but definite room for improvement,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on Newcastle’s famous and picturesque Quayside and just an 8 minute walk to the city centre. The hotel occupies a handsome Grade II listed building steeped in history and includes free Wi-Fi, parking and the funky and lively late night bar "Jimmyz" open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays . The city centre plays host to an excellent choice of shopping and also plays host to the Theatre Royal, which brings in talents such as opera North and The Royal Shakespeare Company. The bar is located on the ground level or if it’s dancing you prefer, then look no further than Sea nightclub. The hotel aims to go that extra mile to ensure you have a wonderful stay.Each bedroom has a unique style; the layout of the hotel lends itself to well-appointed rooms with the privacy and intimacy of a boutique hotel. Rooms offer all modern facilities guests would expect plus some rooms have extras such as plasma screen TV and DVD player and air conditioning.At the Waterside staff believe it is important to start the day right with a delicious freshly cooked Full English Breakfast or tasty Continental Breakfast which is served every day from 7:00am – 10:00am Monday – Friday and 8:30am – 10:30am Saturday and Sunday. Although the hotel doesn’t serve lunch or evening meals the immediate area boasts an excellent range of restaurants and cafes in which to enjoy any variety of meal.The famous Jimmyz Bar has been a landmark venue in Newcastle since the major re-development of the Quayside in the early 90’s. The bar has recently had a makeover of its own and this opulent cosmopolitan venue now boasts an extensive cocktail list and the sort of hospitality which makes Newcastle a popular choice.Newcastle and the wider area is made up of a diverse variety of towns, cities, coast and countryside offering a huge selection of things to do whatever your tastes. From relaxing at the coast to soaking up world-class culture in the city centres, from getting back in-touch with nature at a woodland retreat to shopping at Europe’s largest indoor shopping and leisure complex, (Metrocentre). It’s rare to find anywhere so diverse that amazes visitors at every turn with its dialogue between ultra-modern and ancient, with award-winning dining, inspiring heritage, fantastic shopping and acclaimed architecture makes up a destination like no other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your The Waterside Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterside Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- The Waterside Hotel Bed And Breakfast
- Waterside Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne