“Paco's Restuarant”

Best Western Gibside Hotel
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My wife & I visited Paco's on Monday Septermber 19 having been there a few times we knew what to expect.Great food ,wine & service.
My wife had prawns wrapped in parma ham for starters & I had ham terrine,both well recommended as is the crusty bread they serve.
For my main course I had steak rossini,superb! My wife had shoulder of lamb cooked to perfection.Our wine was red Rioja,just right.
To finish my wife had icecream and I had the cheeseboard with a Taylor's 2004.A great meal in an establishment that is sorely under-rated.We look forward to our next viist.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Gibside Hotel

Reviewed 29 August 2011

this is a well presented, clean and tidy hotel. staff were friendly and responded quickly to queries. however from the website we did not get the impression that it is part of the whickham shopping centre that it mentions being close to - and the views are across the valley across the metro centre. well positioned for visits to durham, newcastle and gateshead but i feel overpriced. breakfast has only two options - full english for ~£10 or continental for ~£8... i did resent having to pay £8 for coffee and a slice of toast! would recommend having room only and popping to greggs which is within easy walking distance

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I booked this hotel as I was taking three of my Grandchildren on short trip while their parents celebrated there 10th Wedding Anniversary. The reason I chose this hotel is that they have a three bedroom apartment and it was close to the Beamish museum. The Apartment was modern, very clean and the kitchen has everything you need including the corkscrew. You will need all your own washing up materials. The only fault noticed was the missing lock on the toilet door. This is a Major issue when you have 3 young grandchildren wanting your time. I needed five minutes alone but never got it. The location is good with shops within easy reach and the staff are very friendly and efficient. You can also get 25% discount tickets for Beamish which saved us around £20. All in all good place to stay at a reasonable price.

1  Thank ourkidd
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Gibside Hotel. We were told on the phone that we were receiving a twin deluxe room at full price. This suited us, as according to the website a deluxe room was inclusive of everything you'd expect from a deluxe hotel room, including a bath. However when we got there, we realised that they had allocated us a disabled room which we were not made aware of on booking. The sliding bathroom door did not close fully, therefore you could see right in which removed any feeling of privacy. There was also no bath, which was a disappointment for my mother as she was looking forward to having a long soak after our long journey to get there. When I enquired about this apparant mix-up at the reception desk, the response was 'well it was the only room we had so we had to put you there'. No appology or offer of reduction on our bill for their blunder. I proceded to write to the hotel manager when we got back home. Again, I got no appology-instead, I got a page-long essay on the fact that she thought the room was fine and they had no reason to let us know that it was a disabled room on booking. She also pointed out that we didn't specifically ask for a bath so we shouldn't have expected one! Should I have also asked on booking for a bed, a sink, towels, or even a toilet?!! I'm sorry, but for £90- for a 'deluxe' room, yes love, I do expect a bath and to at least be asked on booking whether I'd be happy to pay for a disabled room in the first instance. The manager did not appologise, offer any form of compensation or put my mind at ease in any way, insted she made me feel like crap and I hope I never have to deal with such a rude, ignorant and unprofessional 'manager' again. I would not recommend this hotel to stay in as it was unfriendly, unhelpful and the restaurant/bar area felt shoddy and dated. The word 'luxury' should not be used in any of the descriptions for this hotel as it is not justified.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank A B
Reviewed 16 August 2011

wehad a lovely day wewereoverthe moon marywas very helpful staff were very polite and paco was great the room was decorated beautiful for the wedding we had booked all day and carried on for evening disco the food was excellant and it was worth every penny we also stopped over night room beds are huge all the family said there rooms was lovely and breakfast was lovely staff very polite and good service my and my family would book again fantastic day

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We only had a meal in the restaurant, so can't comment on the rooms. Me and my mrs called in on the spur of the moment, only saying we were goning to have a main course. We ended up having a 3 course meal. Both of us had the asparagus starters, i opted for the chicken kiev with orange & garlic butter, very very nice. The mrs had a fileet cooked to perfection for her. Desserts were a eton mess & a mixed ice cream in a brandy basket. Prices are a little bit steep for some but the food & service is second to none.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Spent two days here ih June for my mates 40th and really enjoyed it, the place is nice and clean with good food and a cracking bar! Wickham is a small village with half a dozen local pubs and only a short taxi ride into Newcastle.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends