“A nice stay, with a couple of buts....”

Best Western Gibside Hotel
“A nice stay, with a couple of buts....”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

A generally good hotel, with a smart reception area, restaurant and lounge bar. My room was inoffensive, but it was very noisy, being on top of a function room. Reception said all the rooms on the 'standard side' were the same, but they were helpful. The food was enjoyable, with a really excellent steak, and friendly service. The village of Whickham isn't as twee as it sounds, but has some charm and lots of local shops.

Stayed November 2013
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us .I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and I'm sorry that you experienced some noise during the evening - we had several functions in the hotel at the time , and the Standard rooms are the closest to our function suites. As we were full last weekend, unfortunately it was not possible to move your room . Our Delux rooms are all on the opposite side of the hotel, and completely away from function rooms and restaurants , and had one been available, we would have been more than happy to move you Thank you for your kind comments about our food and friendly service, and I will make sure your comments are passed on to everyone concerned .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Staffordshire
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Checked in after booking a Deluxe room which I'd seen on booking.com rang up confirmed they can match £60 per night for 2 nights. Stayed here many times as I live in the midlands travel up to Newcastle with work. Returning from maternity booked this hotel arrived to a lovely room with working area. Checked out not checking my bill properly went to work travelled home only to find they charged me & £240 + £24.00 breakfast. Rang up to say they been a mistake only to he told I'd booked a suite and they had told me when booking it was £240 plus breakfast for 2 nights. I have to pay this myself and claim it back never would I have agreed to this. They said its all written down and they've seen it but can't send it to me.no emails were sent to confirm as I gave my card details to secure it. They've basically said I'd booked it and it's my error. But when checking on booking.com today the room I stayed in is a deluxe room yet they say it was a suite .life's hard enough without hotels ripping people off at every given opportunity. Take note don't stay here as they don't deserve our hard earned cash.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Gemlian
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
I have contacted Trip Advisor today regarding your review, especially the comments made regarding ' A reputation can be built up over years and destroyed in 24 hours ' and your threat to post a negative review if we did not refund you £120.00 .
You actually stayed with us on 3 occasions in 2010 , - not what we would consider to be 'many times.
The entire content of your review is incorrect and defamatory in the extreme . The member of staff who took your booking is a Senior Manager - she explained the various room types we have available, and you chose to have the Junior Suite, as you had to work in your room. The cost of the room was fully explained at the time of booking .
On departure, our Head Receptionist asked you to check your bill , to make sure you were happy with it - at no time did you mention that it was incorrect, you were also asked to check the amount when you completed your card payment .
You made your reservation directly with the hotel , not with Bookings.com - you would have been more than welcome to book through Bookings.com had you wished to .
The review you have posted is contradictory to telephone calls you have made, and e mails you have sent to us since your stay - which we have on record .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a dingy hotel on a noisy, busy road, there is parking but you have to get up to feed the meter, the bedding is poor quality, had to hold the lead while the kettle boiled, no lift so my elderly mother struggled up 2 flights of steep stairs. There is excellent wifi. This is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review . I must admit I am surprised at some of your comments - we are in the centre of a relatively small village - it certainly doesn't have the M1 going through it .The hotel has been completely refurbished recently - so I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that it was 'dingy'. We do have our own parking spaces immediately outside of the hotel , which are free of charge, all day .Parking is also available in the large public car park just opposite the hotel , it is free from 5.30 pm - 9.00 am - thereafter, it is £1.00 per day . You do not have to 'get up' to feed the meter at all, when you arrive you can pre- pay for the next day if you plan on leaving your car there .
The bedding is supplied to us by a national laundry, who supply most of the hotels in the North East - including 3, 4 and 5 star properties . The beds are all brand new .
If you had problems with your kettle, had you phoned reception, we would have replaced it immediately for you .
I'm not sure why your Mother 'struggled' up 2 flights of stairs - we do have a lift , and again, had you mentioned your mother mobility problems, we would have been more than happy to allocate you a room right next to the lift .
I am not sure how much you paid for your room, so can't comment on your remark re the hotel being 'overpriced'.
I am pleased you were satisfied with the wi fi .
Newcastle
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the gibside hotel in Whickham for my dear friends wedding as her bridesmaid.
We stayed in the honeymoon suit. Absolutely lovely the room bathrooms decor all the little details. Staff made every effort to ensure our needs were meet .
Even bringing an iron and ironing board.
Paco from the funtion room what can you say hes his weight in gold an absolute star . I know paco well and have to mention hes very professional and friendly .
The meal and service was second to none . Everyone that worked during the service of the meal did an excellent job. Meal was fabulous hot plates and food.
I would certainly recommend this hotel for food , functions and resting.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Decided to stop here after reading some great reviews on here, what a mistake that turned out to be. Myself and my partner decided to go to Newcastle for the night for her birthday. After a warm welcome at reception we made our way to the room looking forward to getting ready to go for a meal and drinks. The room initially looked great. Once we began to unpack I noticed some sweet wrappers on the floor beneath the desk, I wasn't too fussed by this as it could have easily been missed. Then I went into the bathroom where I noticed black hair on the floor. You can forgive the sweet wrappers but hair, definitely not. We continued to get ready and left the hotel to start the rest of our night. Once we returned after a fantastic meal and drinks at Portofino's in town, we went to bed to find that our kingsize bed was in fact two beds put together, after paying £120 for the night in a junior suite I didn't expect to roll into a gap in the middle of my bed. I quickly spoke to the extremely polite manager, who instantly offered to move us rooms, however my partner was already in her night clothes and our clothes, etc were already spread around our room. He said he would sort something out for me in the morning. After a poor night's sleep on a very firm bed we decided to head home early, cancelling our full English breakfast. After gaining a refund on our breakfast, the manager on duty looked less than interested in offering me any compensation/partial refund, instead she decided to divert the blame towards the cleaning staff who were at reception, asking them to explain themselves in front of me and offer their apologies. I found this extremely uncomfortable for both myself and the cleaning staff and highly unprofessional on behalf of the management. I left with a £10 refund from my initial £120 payment. I won't be stopping there again or encouraging anyone of my friends to use the hotel. Thankfully the meal and drinks in town were excellent or else our birthday weekend would have been ruined. A real shame

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank DMann86
Suki45, Manager at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but can assure you that we are always interested in guest's feedback and take complaints extremely seriously. Our Junior Suites are booked regularly and prove to be extremely popular with our guests. Unfortunately, at times things can get missed when chambermaids are servicing 44 bedrooms and this is no excuse. As the housekeeper was in the reception area on Saturday she was the best person to listen to your complaints and answer any queries you had concerning the comfort of your room. The beds in the hotel are all King size beds which can be split into two beds. The housekeeper checked the bed and the zip was fully zipped. Many hotels use these beds and we have them throughout the hotel and do not normally receive any complaints from guests. We offered a discount on the room despite the fact you stated that you were not looking for money back.
At all times we endeavor to provide a high quality of customer care and service and we are extremely disappointed that you do not feel that you received this on this occasion.
We feel we are professional at all times and can assure you that we are always interested in guests comments. On this occasion our Housekeeper was the correct person to speak to you. We thought when you left the hotel that you were satisfied with the response as you did thank us, If you had expressed your discontent prior to leaving we would have been happy to discuss the matter further.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Arrived late from a train journey from London for an overnight on business. I received a warm welcome and was shown to an excellent room.

TV, bed, desk on which to work (with enough light) and the bathroom were all very good.

I had a really comfortable night's sleep and at breakfast received a well-cooked English breakfast without very much of a wait. Again staff were really friendly.

Checkout was efficient and the reception had ordered my taxi the night before as requested and that was on time. All in all a good experience and one which I hope to repeat next time I am in town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Bedford
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have stayed at the Gibside on a regular basis and always find it to be a good place to stay. The rooms are always clean and spacious, if not a little warm, even in the winter. Try and get a room in the new part when booking. Good onsite restaurant....

Good breakfast, cooked for you.... it includes black pudding....

Room Tip: Stay in the newer part of the hotel.... the old part is far to warm....