“great stay”

Best Western Gibside Hotel
“great stay”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

want to say a big thumbs up to the staff at this hotel..make you feel at home and go 110% to help out anyway they can. restaurant is a must with an a la carte menu and a table a hote for 14.95 for 3 courses with a good menu. I stayed here over 3 nights and room comfy, clean, bar has fabulous views and in a great location for metro centre, coast, city centre and northumberland coast 45 mins away. i will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here in November and what can I say, perfect from start to finish....staff are so friendly and helpful and the rooms are so clean and fresh.
Will definitely be coming back
Great value for money, I will be recommending this hotel to my friends

• Stayed November 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions when attending functions. The rooms are furnished to a high standard and are extremely comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Newcastle area for either business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The deluxe valley view rooms are quiet and extremely comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

we stayed here on the 6th of November, the hotel was lovely but the room was dirty and dusty, cob webs on the roof, bathroom had tooth paste down the cabinet and the mirror was dirty and in the hotel info book there was coffee stains all over it, didnt have a cup of tea due to the kettle been dirty inside and out!!

The bar was lovely and so was the food but as for the room it was just not clean!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marinalee89
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us . I am so sorry that you experienced some problems with the cleanliness of your room , I would like to assure you that this is most certainly not our normal standard , and all of the points you raised have been rectified.
I'm so pleased you enjoyed our Sphinx Lounge Bar , and the food , and once again, sincere apologies for certain aspects of the room not being up to our normal standard.
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

A generally good hotel, with a smart reception area, restaurant and lounge bar. My room was inoffensive, but it was very noisy, being on top of a function room. Reception said all the rooms on the 'standard side' were the same, but they were helpful. The food was enjoyable, with a really excellent steak, and friendly service. The village of Whickham isn't as twee as it sounds, but has some charm and lots of local shops.

Stayed November 2013
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us .I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and I'm sorry that you experienced some noise during the evening - we had several functions in the hotel at the time , and the Standard rooms are the closest to our function suites. As we were full last weekend, unfortunately it was not possible to move your room . Our Delux rooms are all on the opposite side of the hotel, and completely away from function rooms and restaurants , and had one been available, we would have been more than happy to move you Thank you for your kind comments about our food and friendly service, and I will make sure your comments are passed on to everyone concerned .
Staffordshire
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Checked in after booking a Deluxe room which I'd seen on booking.com rang up confirmed they can match £60 per night for 2 nights. Stayed here many times as I live in the midlands travel up to Newcastle with work. Returning from maternity booked this hotel arrived to a lovely room with working area. Checked out not checking my bill properly went to work travelled home only to find they charged me & £240 + £24.00 breakfast. Rang up to say they been a mistake only to he told I'd booked a suite and they had told me when booking it was £240 plus breakfast for 2 nights. I have to pay this myself and claim it back never would I have agreed to this. They said its all written down and they've seen it but can't send it to me.no emails were sent to confirm as I gave my card details to secure it. They've basically said I'd booked it and it's my error. But when checking on booking.com today the room I stayed in is a deluxe room yet they say it was a suite .life's hard enough without hotels ripping people off at every given opportunity. Take note don't stay here as they don't deserve our hard earned cash.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Gemlian
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
I have contacted Trip Advisor today regarding your review, especially the comments made regarding ' A reputation can be built up over years and destroyed in 24 hours ' and your threat to post a negative review if we did not refund you £120.00 .
You actually stayed with us on 3 occasions in 2010 , - not what we would consider to be 'many times.
The entire content of your review is incorrect and defamatory in the extreme . The member of staff who took your booking is a Senior Manager - she explained the various room types we have available, and you chose to have the Junior Suite, as you had to work in your room. The cost of the room was fully explained at the time of booking .
On departure, our Head Receptionist asked you to check your bill , to make sure you were happy with it - at no time did you mention that it was incorrect, you were also asked to check the amount when you completed your card payment .
You made your reservation directly with the hotel , not with Bookings.com - you would have been more than welcome to book through Bookings.com had you wished to .
The review you have posted is contradictory to telephone calls you have made, and e mails you have sent to us since your stay - which we have on record .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a dingy hotel on a noisy, busy road, there is parking but you have to get up to feed the meter, the bedding is poor quality, had to hold the lead while the kettle boiled, no lift so my elderly mother struggled up 2 flights of steep stairs. There is excellent wifi. This is overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Suki45, Director of Sales at Best Western Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review . I must admit I am surprised at some of your comments - we are in the centre of a relatively small village - it certainly doesn't have the M1 going through it .The hotel has been completely refurbished recently - so I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that it was 'dingy'. We do have our own parking spaces immediately outside of the hotel , which are free of charge, all day .Parking is also available in the large public car park just opposite the hotel , it is free from 5.30 pm - 9.00 am - thereafter, it is £1.00 per day . You do not have to 'get up' to feed the meter at all, when you arrive you can pre- pay for the next day if you plan on leaving your car there .
The bedding is supplied to us by a national laundry, who supply most of the hotels in the North East - including 3, 4 and 5 star properties . The beds are all brand new .
If you had problems with your kettle, had you phoned reception, we would have replaced it immediately for you .
I'm not sure why your Mother 'struggled' up 2 flights of stairs - we do have a lift , and again, had you mentioned your mother mobility problems, we would have been more than happy to allocate you a room right next to the lift .
I am not sure how much you paid for your room, so can't comment on your remark re the hotel being 'overpriced'.
I am pleased you were satisfied with the wi fi .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle upon Tyne
Beamish Park Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Marley Hill
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Me...
#15 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Best Western Ryokan Hotel
Best Western Ryokan Hotel
#42 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#21 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Best Western New Kent Hotel
Best Western New Kent Hotel
#50 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Village Hotel Newcastle
Village Hotel Newcastle
#29 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Best Western Gibside Hotel? Share your experiences!