“I have stayed in much better Malmaisons. Just OK”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The problem with the Newcastle Mal is not the rooms; it is its public areas and service values.
As a resident of a hotel entertaining clients, I would expect to be able to get a drink in the hotel bar around midnight without been told things like “ sorry we can’t do that cocktail we have put all of the ice away” or “ we have not got that liqueur”, granted things were sorted out eventually, but I really don’t think this is in line with Malmaisons marketing to the adult & business markets to be made to feel that it is too late to have a drink and I really should be tucked up in bed.
Breakfast service was equally uncoordinated and slow, and whilst on a weekend this would not cause me a problem, when I am away on business and working to a schedule it is more of an issue.
All of the public areas of the hotel seem a bit tired and unloved, and could maybe do with a refurb, so whilst I didn’t hate the Newcastle Mal, it certainly could learn a thing or two from the Liverpool and Oxford Mals about presentation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have nice views of the Tyne
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed here in Oct 2011 with my wife and sons (4 and 6) for 2 nights.

We had a room which had 2 double beds, a nice view down the river (I don't think paying for one with a river view would have given a better view) but I had to phone up to book this - why don't they have an option for kids on the website?
The room was clean and spacious enough, there was no noise from other guests in the hotel, but a little late night noise from one of the restaurants close by but nothing too bad although we were on the 6th floor. I wouldn't want to be lower!

There is no parking, just a multi storey car park right across the road which is mostly reserved for local businesses (Malmaison's spaces are on the roof) You can get parking tickets from the hotel for £10 so depending on how long you leave your car there this can work out cheaper.

Location is OK - it is a wee bit of a walk into the city centre, and this seems to be a predominantly business area where the only local restaurants are part of chains. I prefer independent restaurants, but the two we visited were good.

My only complaint was about the breakfast - when I booked I was told it would be £10 each for breakfast but when I got there it was £14.95. Apparently the £10 rate is only if you book breakfast when you book the room. This was never explained to me. In addition, there was no discount for kids - nearly £60 for breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids is extortion but there is no obvious alternative elsewhere

If I were going to Newcastle again with the kids, I wouldn't stay here but if without kids, I would definitely consider it.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor room and pre-book breakfast when booking the room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed for one day/night on an offer of room and evening meal for two for 100. The hotel as stated is dark and its the corridors and carpets out here that look tired and worn. The room was well furnished and clean and good value except for the fact there was no water in the room for guests to drink. We went for our evening meal and were greeted well until we advised the staff we had the meal in with the room and were handed a second (lesser) menu. The hotels location is excellent and couldn't be better. Overall the stay was fine but getting a cheap deal off the net appeared as though it annoyed the staff and we weren't the tipping kind, but this just meant we wouldn't spend the time and money there that we have in numerous other hotels in cities across the UK.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We had a really good stay at this hotel on Friday 21st for a family birthday get together. We dined at Six at The Baltic and stayed at this very convenient hotel. Great views of the bridges and a lovely clean and tidy room and thought we saw the Quayside and Newcastle at its best. Would recommend and use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bridges/Baltic.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

over priced, dark and quite dirty hotel......£255 for room that was not worh it after a day of shopping wanted to chill and watch a film on telly for a rest befour geting ready for night out, no film channels, only hotel iv ever stopped in that does not have any film channels. Room was dark and not that clean all purple and black dusty tops and shabby. Would never stay here again on checking bill they charged us for choc out of mini bar never had and breakfast (so check your bills). Staff quite rude and could not even smile. Dont sty there.

Room Tip: Stay at hilton much better value nd clean good service
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed 2 nights and had high expectations for this hotel which were not met.
+ve great location with a fabulous view from the bar and rooms at the front. Large room with comfortable bed.

-ve poor sound proofing. We had a side room + could hear noise outside, so can only imagine what the rooms at the front are like. Breakfast not worth the £14. We had to wait 20mins the first day for tea + coffee then only got it because we asked again for it. Day 2 got the tea in about 10min but had to ask again for coffee. You get to choose one of the options on the hot menu ( my husband asked for omlette and the waffle with maple syrup+ that wasn't allowed). I had a crispy (hard) roll + sausage.

Some of the furniture is looking tired and one of the lifts sounds like its on its last legs.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

The reception was cold and they just didn't want us there. I arrived with my nanny and 18 month old son an hour before I was meant to present at a medical conference. Only to find that the hotel disintegration allow check in till 3pm (we arrived at 2). They offered no solution as to where my nanny and son could wait or have lunch - the attached cafe is clearly unchild friendly as there were only high stools - no high chairs. They offered no solution on where I could get ready for my presentation - I ended up dragging bothy son and nanny to the adult only spa changing room! Never once did the rather snooty 12year old reception staff ask if housekeeping was done with our room.
We had to rush to the Hilton where the conference was - they clearly saw how worried I was that I wasn't entirely appropriately dressed for my presentation and hadn't fed or planned what my nanny and son were to do during my presentation. And they welcomed me with warm open arms. My son was very quickly sorted out with food and drinks and my nanny offered a great high tea. They gave me a free room to use for 20 minutes to get ready. Thus was a hotel we weren't even staying at!! Fabulous. Better than malmaison newcastle by a mile. I'd like to point out that we have stayed at malmaison Glasgow and Edinburgh and was exceptionally happy with them.
We then arrived back to malmaison at 730 pm, our bags were still in the staff room not in our room and they still had not sorted our keys. The room looked on the surface as modern high class but they only gave us 2 towels nothing for my son.
Breakfast was lovely if you had an hour to have it - but we don't with an 18 month old so had to leave before our toast even arrived.

1  Thank Mumwithtoddler