“Perfect pre Christmas break”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 29 December 2011

On route home for Christmas we decided to spend one night here at the last minute. After finding a great deal on their website I rang to book and it was promptly dealt with. At check-in I requested help with our numerous Xmas gifts that we needed to take out of the car into the room and a girl came with a trolley and duly obliged. Friendly and chatty, she refused to take a Xmas tip for her help and said it was her job and she was more than happy to do so!
As part of our room rate we enjoyed a delicious three course meal in the restaurant but were so full we couldn't manage dessert. The waiter offered to have it prepped in the kitchen and suggested we call down anytime to have it delivered to our room. Now that's service!
The steak frites with garlic butter was incredible.
We filled up on a tasty breakfast in the morning before continuing with our journey.
Our room was clean, with a very comfortable bed and all the mod cons. Even though it was deemed "small" it was more than adaquete for two people, luggage and enough gifts to fill Santa's grotto. We parked in the car park across the road from the hotel, which they gave us a discount card for.

Room Tip: Although our room was facing the car park and not the lovely Tyne bridge, we didn't suffer from...

Reviewed 24 December 2011

The hotel is a bit out of the way, with the city centre a taxi ride away, you can of course walk but you have to be fit,
the hotel over looks the iconic bridges over the Tyne with restaurants and bars on every corner,
I found the hotel parking was a bit strange, its behind the hotel across the street on top floor of a multi story car park ; so its not under cover, bit of a bind in the rain and quite a hike to the hotel reception,
I found the hotel to be gloomy dark and confusing, my wife is partially sighted and I could see she was struggling with the layout.
to be honest the staff were the only saving grace very attentive and helpful there are better hotels in the area but the iconic views save this hotel from being no more than average.

Room Tip: south facing rooms have the view over the river
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank carbostar
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Really lovely hotel, looks great from the outside & very modern, clean inside. The dark colours of purple and black make it a bit gloomy looking for me. The check in process was quick and easy.The hotel looks out onto the millenium bridge & looked very nice lit up at night. Ideally placed for heading into the centre, about a 15 min walk although a bus runs every 10 mins between the quayside and town centre. The room we booked was a superior double & it was huge. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very stylish & clean.Would recommend and use again.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karened01
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I went to Malmaison for a night away with my fiance and to get a bit of Christmas shopping done.

We got a bit lost to start with but found the hotel eventually and parked in a multi-story car park across the road which had spaces reserved for Malmaison guests (£4 for overnight stay which was very reasonable). Check in was fine and the hotel staff were polite and helpful.

The room was gorgeous, we had upgraded to a superior room with view of the Millenium Bridge and we weren't disappointed! The room was spacious with a kingsize bed, sofa and 2 tvs. The bathroom was well fitted if a little small and dark but the shower was great!

We got a really good deal on the room where we only paid £35 for the night if we spent £75 in the hotel on food and drink which wasn't hard as it is fairly expensive. We ate in the brasserie where we both had steak which was beautiful. The total for the meal for 2 steaks, a couple of side dishes, 2 cocktails and a glass of wine was £85 which I did think was a bit expensive but it was lovely and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere. We then went into the bar for cocktails but although the cocktails were very good and it was a lovely setting the bar was empty and felt a bit flat.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Malmaison and would definitely go back, hopefully for longer next time!

1  Thank jay3004
Reviewed 17 December 2011

A very comfortable hotel, offering good facilities, a great menu and polite, local staff. We were looked after very well. Very conveniently located and quite a few nice restaurants nearby too. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Fantastic view of the millennium bridge
2  Thank andymacf
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We chose the Malmaison Newcastle, last minute, for a 2 night stay. This was because of its reputation - we wanted something a bit groovy - and based on stays at other Malmaisons. Started ok, though our original river view room only had a river view from the dressing table. When I had booked (about 4 hours previously), I had stated that this was a requirement - we wanted a view. This was dealt with quickly and efficiently and we changed rooms. We went out for dinner with friends and got back about midnight. Neither of us slept. The bed was like rock. Neither myself or my husband are light sleepers, I can sleep anywhere... apart from the Newcastle Malmaison that is. I was also bothered by the noise of the TV from the next room, which was on all night. I only mention that as it seems the walls must be quite thin.
My husband asked to switch room the next morning. After being given the brush off by one receptionist, another very helpful lady showed him several other rooms, all of which (unsurprisingly) had the same type of bed. So we left. The receptionist did 'warn' us that usually we would be charged for the second night we had booked. As she had been so helpful I bit my tongue. £135 for one night with little/no sleep, cold/warm breakfast (£30 !!!) plus £10 extra for car parking ... which no one mentioned at the time of booking. Total £175. I'd like to have seen them try to charge me more...
Room dusty (noticed when I picked up the phone to call reception), bathroom bits, e.g. cotton wool box, bit bashed up, obviously been there for a while. We really expected more for £135 not including anything. Nice, helpful staff though (with one exception).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Only got one night here on tour in the UK. Was in a nice location and very interesting design. Nice rooms and a comfortable sleep. Would love to have a longer stay next time as I do really enjoy Newcastle.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business