“Excellent location, dark corridors”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed here with my husband, to celebrate my 50th birthday. This was a birthday surprise! Check in quick and efficient, up to room 622, with a view of the Gateshead Millenium bridge. Room spotless, bathroom had rainfall shower cubicle and the deepest bath I have ever found in a hotel bathroom! Yummy toiletries in the bathroom.

Some reviewers have said their bed was very hard. Ours was perfect!

We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel but we overheard some visitors complaining that, unless they had pasta as part of an DBB package, anything else was extra.

Went to the bar, which overlooked the bridge. Lovely large plush sofas, but the price of the drinks was eye-watering. Double gin and tonic and a bottle of coke = £11. Make it last ..... but you do get some complimentary peanuts ;)

Back to the corridors .... carpets and walls purple. Obviously bought a job lot of paint! Life annoucements in French, so unless you keep an eye on the display you are in danger of stepping out at the wrong 'etage'

Breakfast ..... average I thought. Cooked breakfast available but has to be ordered. Poor selection of cereals. Service slow, which looked like a lack of staff rather than them being on a go-slow. Table for two quite small when a teapot and toast is added!

Husband wouldn't tell me how much it cost, but I suspect it wasn't cheap, so I can't comment on value for money.

Would I go back ....... yes!

Room Tip: Room 622, overlooks Millennium Bridge
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I just love this hotel , especially if you stay in one of the suites that has the view of the bridge. Unfortunately the food is not very good, we have had a couple of meals at the restaurant and although they serve a very good breakfast the evening food is below average, especially consider they have a small menu, also the wine list is very expensive . I will still use the hotel but I will dine at the nearby restaurant .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This is the first time I have felt the need to write a review before actually leaving the place I was reviewing and it is not short ....At the moment I am sitting on one of the twin double beds in room 418 in the Malmaison in Newcastle , booked originally for two nights (Wednesday and thursday 10th 11th October ) the Friday being added later ... This detail is important.
We booked an executive twin - 2 double beds (2 adults and 2 children) originally we where going to stay the 2 nights - see the Baltic ,seven stories, the Laing ... Usual visitor stuff. We decided that we should stay an extra night to make the most of our time in newcastle so I booked a Friday package via the main reservations desk , upon arrival I wanted to be sure that both our bookings had been linked so we would not have to change rooms.
We checked in around 3 - The concierge took my name and produced the paperwork, I asked about our booking to confirm the extra day only to be met with a sarcastic remark , "your booked in on a Friday package and its not even Friday" so i explained ... We were booked Wednesday and Thursday then added the Friday so the friday package was actually for Friday .... I imagine had he took the time to look at the dates on the booking rather than being smart with us then things may have gone better. So when you a book an executive twin at the Mal and even when you make it clear at the time of booking that its for 2 adults and 2 children when we checked in we were informed that the children's breakfast was not included in the price and that's fine ... However I feel that charging £12.00 (adult prices) per child per day is a bit excessive , I appreciate that this hotel may not be used to accommodating children but i think a bit of common sense could be applied.
Now to the room ... Lovely big space , two good sized beds decent view, great shower. I can safely say I have never slept in a more uncomfortable bed - i am by no means slim but by no means big and yet both my partner and I were rolling into the middle - both of us have really sore backs , its quite possibly the worst bed I have been in , so much so my partner is going to sleep on the floor tonight ... We asked about the possibility of a zed bed for my partner to sleep on but the only had beds for children . No mention of change of room or mattress.
We have been here three nights and had 2 great meals in newcastle , the Friday package in the hotel included a meal for two .. So at 6:30 we headed to the restaurant. We were presented with a set menu which we expected but what was not expected was .. Prawn cocktail ... £3 supplement ... Lamb £8 supplement .... Steak £10 supplement. I cant say the service was that great , in fact it was a bit unfriendly and very inattentive The kids ate off the bar menu and enjoyed their fish very much. Our meal was average at best , but this is the straw that broke the camels back ... As the kids ate off the bar menu and we had two bottles of wine with our dinner there was a bill to the room when we left , the lady who was front of house printed our bill and we signed for it , we left the restaurant and got in the lift ,only to have the waitress who throughout the evening paid little attention us , stop us in the lift to make sure we had signed for our dinner. I would have thought that the first thing you would check would be the computerised billing system or god forbid you spoke the lady whom was clearly the restaurant manager before you chased the guests to the lift ?
As a family,we have had a lovely break , I feel that family in the Mal is not well received , we may not be the usual clientele but I believe that we are the demographic . This is something that they might want to consider when charging £12 for,a kids breakfast and having no alternate kids meals. Newcastle has a great deal to offer and a whole heap of stuff to do . we really like it here but we won't stay in this hotel again and that's a shame because it has the potential to be great and the location is second to none ...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wittycow
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I booked the 7th floor lounge for an event, and then had dinner with my fellow 7 guests. The manager greeted us personally, the sommelier and the chef were absolutely excellent---food and wines great, and very reasonably priced. Service could not have been better. Rooms had wonderful views, were spotless and quiet and darkened by thick curtains, so a fine night's sleep could be had. The Big Mal breakfast was excellent too, and staff so upbeat and accommodating. I don't often say this, but I could not fault a single thing.

Room Tip: Worth requesting a view over the Millenium Bridge--it's spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Had a confirmed booking at the Hilton but upon arrival was told they had overbooked and instead was sent by cab to Malmaison. Lovely, unusual and sumptious decor (if a little dark?) in the communal areas and the room was very spacious and clean. Beds not too comfy but as I didn't get there until after midnight (thanks, Hilton) following a horrendous journey from London, that didn't matter much ! Reception very courteous and efficient. Breakfast yummy and you've GOT to try their home-made granola ! Would I stay there again ? Most definitely !

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the river. I stayed in 401 which was very spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I booked a suite for my husband and I on our wedding anniversary.
We checked in, were asked to pay for the room upfront at check-in, unusual but we did it.
Went to the room. It was dull, drab, tatty, grubby and cold. The bed was like a brick and the bedding and soft furnishings were not of the quality I expect from somewhere charging £250+ per night. The bathroom certainly wasn't the 'rockstar' or 'battleship' style described in the website. The phones were out of order because of a power cut, so we returned to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available. The receptionist was polite enough, she said the only rooms available were of a lower standard. We checked out and went to The Hilton instead. We were informed 'on this occasion' that Malmaison would refund us. On this occasion? I don't see how they could do anything else considering they'd asked us to pay up front without seeing the room!
The place is dark, but that's ok...as it's going for the boutique style, however it would seem on checking that the dark masks the dust!
Should we want something special for future anniversaries, it won't be here!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stayed here recently for a friend's wedding, and I have to say the location was perfect as the reception was just over the other side of the Millennium Bridge. The decor is sumptuous, if a little dark, and our room was a good size, with a fabulous sized bed but no view.

The requested travel cot was provided with a sheet and towel for the little one, and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

My only negative comment would be the staffing levels at breakfast - they seemed surprised that everyone squeaked into breakfast at the last possible moment the morning after a wedding that they were well aware was happening.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family