“A very enjoyable stay”

Malmaison Newcastle
Durham
“A very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed over at the Malmaison as a little treat for myself and my wife.
The room was a really nice size with all the ameneties you'd expect and want for a short stay.
I like the hotel as its situated right on the quayside and very close to the bars and restaurants nad some rooms have an excellent view of the river etc.

Even though we are only from Durham it was a quick get away and very enjoyable.

The Breakfast the next morning was pretty good, not the choice i had which was a sausage & egg muffin. It was a bit dry and clack so would chose something else if we stayed again.

The staff were all very helpful, friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Tyne if you can..
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Spacious room with nice view and some very nice complimentary bathroom goodies. Breakfast was fabulous, only gripe was that the guy checking in before me paid a third of what I did for my room which took the shine off a bit! But overall would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Nice room but lost my room service order and gave a feeble excuse! At least they knocked it off my bill. Seemed to be a lot of people complaining in breakfast as well! Shame as hotel is nice, room clean and well laid out.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Oxford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed here for two nights in October to attend a family golden wedding. The room (we had requested a Tyne view) was very good indeed -spacious, comfortable and with a glorious view directly onto the Milennium Bridge. The toiletries in the large bathroom were very good as was the shower. The room had a good minibar and safe flat screen television and excellent chairs and a very comfortable bed. Slippers and bathrobes would have been helpful. Drinks at the bar were good and breakfast was good indeed -the quality of food was high and service much better than earlier reviews suggested. The negatives relate to the decoration of the hotel itself - a weird purple and red which makes it dysfunctionally dark in corridors , in the efficient lift and, above all, in the lobby. The service at reception was variable : good and efficient check-in and out but a slightly off-hand reaction to a requestion to call a taxi. Also, although most things were very clean, the curtains in the room looked as though they would benefit from a clean or replacement. This hotel has the potential to be very good indeed; the management will need to keep paying attention to detail to deliver that potential.But we would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed here with my husband, to celebrate my 50th birthday. This was a birthday surprise! Check in quick and efficient, up to room 622, with a view of the Gateshead Millenium bridge. Room spotless, bathroom had rainfall shower cubicle and the deepest bath I have ever found in a hotel bathroom! Yummy toiletries in the bathroom.

Some reviewers have said their bed was very hard. Ours was perfect!

We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel but we overheard some visitors complaining that, unless they had pasta as part of an DBB package, anything else was extra.

Went to the bar, which overlooked the bridge. Lovely large plush sofas, but the price of the drinks was eye-watering. Double gin and tonic and a bottle of coke = £11. Make it last ..... but you do get some complimentary peanuts ;)

Back to the corridors .... carpets and walls purple. Obviously bought a job lot of paint! Life annoucements in French, so unless you keep an eye on the display you are in danger of stepping out at the wrong 'etage'

Breakfast ..... average I thought. Cooked breakfast available but has to be ordered. Poor selection of cereals. Service slow, which looked like a lack of staff rather than them being on a go-slow. Table for two quite small when a teapot and toast is added!

Husband wouldn't tell me how much it cost, but I suspect it wasn't cheap, so I can't comment on value for money.

Would I go back ....... yes!

Room Tip: Room 622, overlooks Millennium Bridge
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I just love this hotel , especially if you stay in one of the suites that has the view of the bridge. Unfortunately the food is not very good, we have had a couple of meals at the restaurant and although they serve a very good breakfast the evening food is below average, especially consider they have a small menu, also the wine list is very expensive . I will still use the hotel but I will dine at the nearby restaurant .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

This is the first time I have felt the need to write a review before actually leaving the place I was reviewing and it is not short ....At the moment I am sitting on one of the twin double beds in room 418 in the Malmaison in Newcastle , booked originally for two nights (Wednesday and thursday 10th 11th October ) the Friday being added later ... This detail is important.
We booked an executive twin - 2 double beds (2 adults and 2 children) originally we where going to stay the 2 nights - see the Baltic ,seven stories, the Laing ... Usual visitor stuff. We decided that we should stay an extra night to make the most of our time in newcastle so I booked a Friday package via the main reservations desk , upon arrival I wanted to be sure that both our bookings had been linked so we would not have to change rooms.
We checked in around 3 - The concierge took my name and produced the paperwork, I asked about our booking to confirm the extra day only to be met with a sarcastic remark , "your booked in on a Friday package and its not even Friday" so i explained ... We were booked Wednesday and Thursday then added the Friday so the friday package was actually for Friday .... I imagine had he took the time to look at the dates on the booking rather than being smart with us then things may have gone better. So when you a book an executive twin at the Mal and even when you make it clear at the time of booking that its for 2 adults and 2 children when we checked in we were informed that the children's breakfast was not included in the price and that's fine ... However I feel that charging £12.00 (adult prices) per child per day is a bit excessive , I appreciate that this hotel may not be used to accommodating children but i think a bit of common sense could be applied.
Now to the room ... Lovely big space , two good sized beds decent view, great shower. I can safely say I have never slept in a more uncomfortable bed - i am by no means slim but by no means big and yet both my partner and I were rolling into the middle - both of us have really sore backs , its quite possibly the worst bed I have been in , so much so my partner is going to sleep on the floor tonight ... We asked about the possibility of a zed bed for my partner to sleep on but the only had beds for children . No mention of change of room or mattress.
We have been here three nights and had 2 great meals in newcastle , the Friday package in the hotel included a meal for two .. So at 6:30 we headed to the restaurant. We were presented with a set menu which we expected but what was not expected was .. Prawn cocktail ... £3 supplement ... Lamb £8 supplement .... Steak £10 supplement. I cant say the service was that great , in fact it was a bit unfriendly and very inattentive The kids ate off the bar menu and enjoyed their fish very much. Our meal was average at best , but this is the straw that broke the camels back ... As the kids ate off the bar menu and we had two bottles of wine with our dinner there was a bill to the room when we left , the lady who was front of house printed our bill and we signed for it , we left the restaurant and got in the lift ,only to have the waitress who throughout the evening paid little attention us , stop us in the lift to make sure we had signed for our dinner. I would have thought that the first thing you would check would be the computerised billing system or god forbid you spoke the lady whom was clearly the restaurant manager before you chased the guests to the lift ?
As a family,we have had a lovely break , I feel that family in the Mal is not well received , we may not be the usual clientele but I believe that we are the demographic . This is something that they might want to consider when charging £12 for,a kids breakfast and having no alternate kids meals. Newcastle has a great deal to offer and a whole heap of stuff to do . we really like it here but we won't stay in this hotel again and that's a shame because it has the potential to be great and the location is second to none ...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family