“Enjoyed Our Stay”

Malmaison Newcastle
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed Our Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

My partner and I have stayed here on business twice now, and have enjoyed our stay. I think we just stayed in standard rooms, but they are very spacious. Bathrooms are a little tight but that was no major issue.

Rooms were clean, breakfast was nice, the room had everything you would need although I couldn't see the TV from the bed on either of our stays, partly because the rooms are so large and the TV's are so small!

When I am back in Newcastle and looking for a budget stay which has all the luxury of a boutique hotel without the high boutique price, I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Front facing is nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my wife's birthday, she has always wanted to stay at the Malmaison so I organised it as a special treat for her birthday weekend, we live locally but I wanted to treat her and have a night out with friends inNewcastle without the worry of getting home in taxi we could have a romantic stroll down the quayside and walk across millennium bridge.
I decided to book a suite as an extra surprise but I wish I hadn't bothered, our room door (704) was right next to a function room. We checked in early afternoon and my wife and I wanted to relax and watch 6 nations rugby which we love, turned on the tv and no BBC1 I contacted reception, they said they would sort it out, basically to cut a long story short they didn't and never really chased it up. Not a good start but hey let's give it a chance, so we couldn't watch tv so we looked at the view to which point we noticed our curtains had holes all over them sort of like cigarette burns, shower half fixed to ceiling, terrible decay of paintwork on windows and to read one of the previous reviews a total clean out of room, we had dust everywhere, the carpet need hoovering it blatantly hadn't been done and web like dust in the corners of the ceiling.
So no TV we decided to go out for a drink and come back and relax before going out, upon our return a function was ongoing on, the function room door was tied open, guests and children were standing outside our room door, laughing, screaming.
When I complained about this I was told the door was opened as a few guests were hot, erm ever heard of Air Con??
As a saving grace I would of given this review 2 stars but the duty manager took the time out to have long chat with me about the issues I had.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed overnight for a belated Valentines on Saturday the 16th of Feb, we had the package which included a 4 course meal and breakfast the next day. Both the evening meal and breakfast in the morning were delicious, and the service was brilliant too! The room was lovely and over looked the Quayside. All off the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. It was such a treat and we both really enjoyed ourselves. With a bottle of Prosecco with the meal and the above it came to £400, so not cheap but worth it! You get what you pay for here!

The room was immaculate, however I have left the rating "Average" for cleanliness as the glasses in the bathroom were sticky and dusty.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica J
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed over night in a superior room for a family occasion on a b & b basis. Check in was extremely efficient and the room clean and roomy and after previous issues with the booking we received a greeting card from the manageress upon arrival. But that was were the excellent service ceased until check out! We attempted to get a seat within the bar area but had to stand so after one drink left to drink elsewhere not ideal in the snow... During breakfast we had to listen to staff discussing the new appointment of hotel management and their downfalls and implemented changes not ideal for a Sunday breakfast!! Unlikely to return...

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank missymlincolnshire
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

My night here was very mixed, the food was expensive and not brilliant. My sisters chicken was raw and had to be returned to kitchen, blood pouring out of chicken not good!
The whole hotel could do with a good spring clean! Dust on every surface and floors messy.
Slept well, bed comfortable and staff fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to room with a view!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

i have stay in this hotel 7 times in the last 4 months and is a top classsss,on business in Newcastle i allways stay at the Malmaison.The food is excellent,service very good and a room with a view of the river and the tyne bridge is beautiful ,the staff very frindly and happy to see me evry time,i recommend this hotel

Room Tip: higher floor on the river side
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the mal newcastle on numerous occasions..however after our last visit we felt a little disappointed but decided to give it ago again. We arrived beginning of feb for my hubby's birthday! Checking was quick and friendly.

The room a superior room with bridge view was very nice and luckily we must have had a more recently decorated one. The only problem with the room was after a few hours wondering around town we want back to our room..I filled the bath and there was no cold water at all...hubby had the same problem with the shower...on our way out they advised that they would look into it but would not be able to move us due to the hotel being full.
On our return the reception advised us the the problem was fixed and it was. They dealt with it very well. We also had no issues with our bed.

The malbar is a fantastic place, although a little pricey for a large glass of decent wine £12.50. The views and the atmosphere here ate always good.

Overall I thought our stay here was nice and comfortable and will probably return...although I do feel the hotel du vin up the road is a little nicer.

• Stayed February 2013