“Restaurant going downhill - very disappointed”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 27 February 2013

The Malmaison chain is my favourite in the UK and I've stayed at the Newcastle location many times (my previous review is very glowing). So I was really disappointed upon my recent visit to suffer from terrible issues in the restaurant.
Firstly, at dinner my well done steak came out so burnt that it was broken into three pieces - and it was lukewarm. My pat of garlic butter was in a tiny pan but not melted so I had to get off my chair and find someone who asked if I wanted it melted. Erm, how else do you put a sauce on streak?
My friend was served raw brocolli - made worse when she called over another waiter to complain, who pointed out as it was purple sprouting it should change colour when cooked - so why on earth didn't anyone notice.
At breakfast the next day I arrived 15 minutes before serving closed but the buffet wasn't completely stocked so the usual bircher musli I normally love wasn't there. I was put in a corner, ordered coffee and was forgotten about. After a long wait I again went looking for a waiter and asked for a hot food order to be taken and for the elusive coffee to turn up.
Coffee was brought with the plunger down on the pot and it was lukewarm so clearly it wasn't fresh.
I found egg shell in my eggs benedict, spat them out and left - hungry and disappointed.
At check out I was asked if everything was OK with my stay. I explained my issues and the guy who checked me out said he was the reception manager and would pass on my comments. He also asked for my email address (even though I'd filled it in at check in) and said he'd email me that day so I had his contact details. The point of this was he offered to arrange an upgrade or something to make amends if I returned.
I am still waiting to hear from him five days later.
Come on Malmaison - why the standard slip?!
The rest of the staff would do well to learn from the bar team. Despite the silly rule you can order food off the night menu in your room but not in the bar, our waitress offered to check if we could have some chips sent over. Her boss still said no but she tried and gave us nuts and olives instead.
I was part of a large group associated with a big band performing at the arena. Next time we'll thinking about going elsewhere sadly.
Feel very let down overall by a chain I expected more from.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shruggy
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Newcastle

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here from the 15-17 Feb and as two females we felt a little odd as the place was filled with couples, being Valentines I suppose, what should we have expected! Regardless, Id say this is a very romantic hotel at any time.
Room was clean and spacious and had all the utitities that we expected. The Soaps and lotions in the bathroom smelt amazing.
We didnt eat at the hotel as we were out most of the time, but heard the food is great.
The security were friendly, and did their job by asking us to show them our keys when we arrived in very worse for wear the first night. The second night they remembered us!
I used the hotels sauna and relaxation room which was lovely, the treatments were all booked out.
As far as the location goes, I disagree with most of the reviews here, its not central and I felt I spent the whole weekend walking!!! Its a good 15 minute walk to the centre! Although there are bars and restaurants closer by.
Would stay here again if I return to Newcastle.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Did I mention the location? You can't beat it. Right next to the Gateshead bridge. 10/15 min walk into the city along the river.
Wonderfully quirky decor, great bar, rooms were warm, comforting and stylish.

Look out for a special deal, they have a few floating around.

The only negative - the gym is a bit cramped, but it's still ok.

Room Tip: Try and get a room high up facing the river - magical views
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked a room with a view of the Millenium Bridge - we could almost reach out & touch it, never mind enjoy the lighting! The best thing about Malmaison is the thought that clearly goes into staff training and comfort. It's all very pleasant and welcoming.

The room was great - spacious, huge and comfortable bed, lots of space. Good bathroom with decent separate shower & deep, long bath. The wardrobe is a bit odd - teeny & contains a fridge (filling half the shelf space) & an ironing board (reducing all the hanging space, not just a section). I know the natives are fameous for their distain of coats, but visitors need the odd hook or hanging space! The room was very quiet (and we did have neighbours) - you know how most hotels have a distant noise of a lift or a clatter down a corridor? There was no disturbance and the very thick curtains kept out light & noise.

The service in the bar was very sharp, despite it being busy. Staff kept track of customers waiting & their tabs & ran a table service as well as the bar, both including hot beverages, however late. I was impressed to be offered fresh lime juice for my lime & soda. Atmosphere chilled, we are rather older than the average age but did not feel at all out of place.

My only criticism is the breakfast service - it's a bit random. Lovely staff, but there doesn't seem to be a system & there is a long wait for tea & coffee, despite it being offered & ordered on greeting. We weren't the only ones to comment on check out & we did appear to be listened to with concern so I am confident they will fix this, don't let it put you off (hey, check on booking?!). They lose the 5 spot "excellent" they would have got for service....

Room Tip: The view of the bridge is lovely & worth the extra!
Reviewed 25 February 2013

the hotel was nice from the outside, and the inside decor was nice. it took a while to get checked in, and i found it to be very dark ( not sure if this was part of the "ambiance") but getting ready to go out was difficult as i could barely see what i was doing. Also the beds were really really firm. It was a nice hotel but i wouldn't stay there again for the price.

Room Tip: ask for one with a big window!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

me and my partners simon stayed one night at this hotel. totally amazing loved every minute of it. we decided to have a night in get room service the whole works and couldnt complain food was good mini bar was well stocked.
room had an amazing view it was a great way to celebrate our ten anniversary
we got the room for £79 which for the standard of hotel i think this was really resonable especially as it was friday 15th feb which was valentines weekend
want to stay here again
and view was amazing over looking millenium bridge

Room Tip: get room with millenium bridge view pay slighly more but worth it
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and am pleased that it maintains its standards for location - I always book a room with a view of the swing bridge, or more correctly The Gateshead Millenium Bridge which is a wonderful light show at night - quality and friendliness. Dinner and breakfast are both tasty with a good choice of dishes available and the restaurant has been improved by the cream coloured seats with red piping giving it a bit of a lift colourwise. The bar continues to be as frenetic as ever but service is swift and friendly - as it is throughout the hotel. I stayed in room 621 which has a double aspect over the Tyne, both to the front over the bridge and also downstream for about a half mile. Also the bathroom had a window allowing natural light which I appreciated. Good vfm in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the Tyne because the view of the bridge, joggers, buskers etc. is just so enjoyab...