Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Well worth visiting, reception and bar staff are very friendly and the rooms are lovely. Good location close to the Millennium and Tyne bridges. Great location for shopping and the sights. Great for couples.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RednWhite
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Nothing actually wrong with this hotel, its clean, spacious and functional but... nothing to recommend it and quite irritating in all sorts of ways.

I suppose they are trying to be different from the other boring chains (Hilton, HI, Novotel, etc) but they don't pull it off. Its different without being better.

Lighting is too dark, signage is minimal, lifts are very confusing (and in french) so finding your way round is actually a challenge (try finding the stairs!). Despite being a small hotel I've found myself in the wrong part several times.

Evening meal is average - although they delivered the wrong starter and apologized a lot I didn't have time for the right thing. Vegetarian choice is all but absent - its French, lots of steak, lots of red meat, if you don't eat meat then don't stay here.

Free wifi is a definite plus but finding the bed & breakfast package I had booked was actually continental breakfast (anything cooked was extra) - felt like they pulled a fast one. (Although the pastries were good and I enjoyed the continental.)

On the whole I'd probably have been better off at the Premier Inn down the road, cheaper and lit better.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I booked the £99 deal - room, dinner (prix fixe menu) and bottle of Mal wine. The deal is good value. I have always wanted to stay at a Malmaison since I first heard of the chain in Birmingham years ago and was not disappointed. Our son is at Northumbria Uni and his flat is nearby. The hotel is quite dark inside but stylish. We were greeted at reception by Lindsay most helpful and friendly which is important in a hotel. Our room was very nice and spotless although the bed was a little hard for us and the lighting was either too bright or too dark!!

The restaurant is quite sophisticated in a bistro setting and we had a very comfortable booth style table and had a good night with our son. Food was tasty we had chicken and a pudding and paid extra for our son who had a Mal burger - he enjoyed it and cheesecake for his pudding. Service was good but is also added onto the bill.

All in all a lovely value for money break and we will stay again. Car parking is £4 opposite.

Room Tip: Look for offers and choose the room you want from that
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Well I have passed this Hotel so many times over the years and always fancied staying there, as I have read and heard so many good reports. So eventually the wife and I decided to stay. Booked a normal room but were 'lucky' to upgraded to suite. Unfortunately from the moment I stepped through the doors from the Quayside I was disappointed, very dark and unwelcoming. Reminded me of a 1970's tacky nightclub, half expected to see Huggy Bear serving behind the bar. The whole place is in need of a lick of paint and new carpets.
I thought it had to get better in the room, but sadly I found it very shabby and outdated. Loose tiles in the bathroom, worn carpet and generally pretty poor.
We ate in the restaurant, where the staff were very good. The food was at best average, although I have eaten there since and it has improved, but still way below what I would expect from a hotel of it's alledged standing.
I can't see myself rushing back to stay in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Emma D, General Manager at Malmaison Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the hotel and décor when you stayed with us in September did not meet your expectations. I will be sharing your review with my maintenance and housekeeping team.

I am pleased to hear that you felt the staff were very good and that recently you have returned to dine in the Brasserie and the experience had improved.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards
Emma Doré

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked a double room with a millennium bridge view in advance, through the hotel website, to avoid the Valentines rush. After this straightforward booking process, we received an email explaining we could potentially upgrade to a superior for £14 if these rooms were not already booked by other guests by the time we checked in. Unfortunately on arrival they weren't available but we were still happy with our original booking.

We were given a corner room in which one window offered a fantastic view of the millennium bridge, while the other over looked the Tyne bridge. The room was very clean and an excellent size, with a king size bed and dressing table area. The only criticism would be the bathroom. The door was opposite the toilet and very close, meaning it only opened half way and the shower screen was positioned adjacent to the sink meaning it wouldn't move very much. I had to get into the bath to turn the taps on and off.

Neither of us bother with hot breakfasts so we took advantage of the continental room service, which came in a basket. Excellent choice of pastries, cereal and yoghurts, and included a large bowl of fruit.

Overall, excellent location and facilities. Would definitely recommend :)

Room Tip: Book in advance where possible and definitely pay the extra money for a bridge view room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a superior room at £169 on a Friday night (valentines).

The room was on the corner of the building and had 2 lovely big windows - one overlooking a car park and the other an office block (we booked very late).

Two 42 inch LCD Tvs, big sofa, couple of chairs, super king size bed and a nicely appointed albeit small bathroom.

Would recommend but a Tad pricey for NE england

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was my second visit to the Malmaison, which is an excellent centre from which to explore Newcastle, especially the Sage Centre or the Baltic Art Gallery (both on the other side of the Tyne river).

The hotel has an unusual colour scheme within the public areas, with a great deal of dark purple colouring, coupled with low lighting levels delivered from 'designer lamps', fortunately this does not extend into the rooms!

Our room (302) directly overlooks the river, providing very good views of the millennium bridge and the Sage and Baltic.

One issue we had with the room was that the huge window permits a cold draft to enter the room, which was defeated by the excellent window drapes, however the room is directly above the front entrance, so can suffer from some noise intrusion.

Did not experience the restaurant for dinner (chose to visit the La Tasca tapas bar (immediately next door). However the breakfast experience was excellent!

A very good plus point, the hotel has it's own very convenient Starbuck's coffee bar, sadly this closes at 19:00, which is perhaps early?

So, well with a visit!

Room Tip: Try for a river view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple