“Sunday night in Newcastle”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I booked on a dinner bed and breakfast deal, which for £135 was excellent value for money. I had a corner room on the second floor which was very large. The bathroom was small, but lovely and immaculately clean. Dinner was delicious. Breakfast was a feast - don't miss it.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,567)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great location, lovely friendly check-in. Probs occurred with room 3 long hairs found around bath, shampoo & shower gel that were half used and obviously so! Bar service was atrocious lacklustre staff no friendly welcome. Service slow and couldn't be bothered to clear glasses & wipe table from previous customers. Disappointing as have stayed in a number of different Malmaisons but this first time stay at the Newcastle branch was not up to the same standard

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for work and was completely blown away by how fantastic the whole experience was. At reception the staff were nice and friendly. My room was fantastic nice big comfortable lovely view of the millennium bridge. The card in my room welcoming me personally with the offer of a free drink in the hotel bar was a lovely welcoming touch after my long travel.
I enjoyed room service which I must say was cooked to perfection and came promptly. I genuinely enjoyed my stay so much took the time to fill in the comments card before leaving. However I didn't think my stay could have got any better until I went down to breakfast which was exquisite, I had the waffles for breakfast a treat I wouldn't normally have and I must say they were beautiful.
I arrived at my meeting that day well rested and very happy, all thanks to your wonderful hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 27th April on the Sunday night stopover deal and chose to upgrade our room to a junior suit. When we arrived in our room it was well presented and very clean well worth the upgrade. We also ate in the hotel and could not fault the service or the quality of the food. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we also got a glass of fizz as a gift from the hotel as it was the first night of our honeymoon. We had a couple of cocktails in the bar after our food it was a lovely atmosphere and we're happy to make anything we asked for. Would definitely stop here again and with the Deal it's silly not to upgrade!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a dark, badly laid out, poor value for money hotel. Breakfast was poor, room lacked the vroom factor. Bar and dining room were extremely noisy. I would not recommend or stay in this hotel again, especially on a Saturday evening

The views of the river was the only plus side of the stay. The evening meal was extremely good but ruined by the rowdiness of many of the diners

John and Christine

Room Tip: Despite a allocated a room on the South side, 6 floor we were kept awake by guests shouting and bang...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John F
Reviewed 27 April 2014

For a little birthday treat on a sunny spring evening, cocktails at the Malmaison bar seemed like a good idea... Wrong. Unfortunately, the bar is no longer a groovy oasis of calm 'down the Quayside' - last night half the bar was fenced off for a hen party - nothing wrong with that, but the general atmosphere, noise and loud crappy MOR rock music meant that the place felt and sounded just like any other noisy bar on a Saturday. Over £10 for each cocktail would be worth it, if the atmosphere and feel of the place had been right - sadly that wasn't the case. Shame, because the decor is still great, and the staff were also nice.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

stayed for one night only, but really enjoyed the business trip! Excellent location close to quay and city. huge room (was staying single), well equipped, with 2x tvs, sofa, living and sleeping area, coffee making facilities, ironing facilities..high standard en-suite. cannot remember what else..excellent bed and sleep quality, cleanlinesses and overall very good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business