“Don't really know what to make of this place”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison for a Friday night on the May bank holiday weekend.
We booked on the bed and bubbles promotional rate, which had breakfast included and a glass of champagne with breakfast. When we checked in the receptionist was friendly, but was very keen to know if we wanted to make a reservation at the brasserie that was attached to the hotel and asking if we wanted a newspaper in the morning, aside from that I don't think she gave us much information. It wasn't until later that I realised that I had no idea what time breakfast was or where it was served and there was no obvious hotel information in the room. We had a nice double corner room on the second floor, it was very large, decorated to a nice standard and clean. After checking in we went to meet family members in the hotel bar, we decided to ask if we could redeem our free glass of champagne then rather than wait until breakfast the next morning, which they said was fine. The house champagne was included or you could upgrade to verve cliquot for an extra £1 per glass, also the bar staff advised us that there were canapés included with the champagne, which we said sounded great. We were in the bar for about 45 minutes and the canapés were just brought over as we were about to leave and go and have dinner, so we told the staff not to bother.
We asked reception to order a taxi to take us out in the evening and after about 20 minutes of waiting it didn't arrive, so we just got in another one that was outside. Don't actually know whether that was the hotel or the taxi company.
The location of the hotel was great, right on the quayside next to the millennium Gateshead bridge.
In the room there were menus for room service, when we got home from our night out we decided to get some room service, as there was a part of the menu that it advertised serving through the night until 6am. We ordered two chicken kormas, a few minutes after placing the order the phone rang, but there was no one on the other end. We stayed up for about an hour waiting for the room service, but it never arrived.
We had our breakfast the next morning, which I enjoyed very much. The breakfast muffins with sausage and bacon were lovely.
When going to check out, the receptionist informed me that there was a £4 supplement per person as we had cooked breakfast rather than just the continental. I didn't mind paying the extra for the breakfast as it was nice, but we were never told that it was just the continental breakfast that was included. Also we were charged £1.50 for the paper that we ordered, which again is fine, but both my boyfriend and I were sure that the receptionist said when we checked in that it was complimentary. Also when we checked out we were asked if we had anything from the minibar, but the minibar in our room was completely empty, so we couldn't have had anything even if we wanted to.
After checking out there was coffee and water in the reception, I asked one of the members of staff if I could have a glass to which she said, no this is for the football team not for guests (Cardiff city football team were staying there at the same time as us).
Like I say, I really don't know what to make of this place, the location was great, I slept very comfortably in the room, and the package that we were on had good value for money, but there was definitely a couple of points that let the place down and the service can greatly be improved upon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,575)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Firstly the key card did not work, I told cleaner whom let us in our room, and immediately after getting in there was a knock on our door with a replacement card. This was good but shouldn't have happened. Toilet had paper in when we arrived, bathroom was for a disabled person, neither me nor my girlfriend are disabled. Our worst experience was the fact we were refused drinks at the bar. This occurred after buying 2 bloody Mary's at approx 7.50 each. I then went to buy a second drink after having two sups and was refused. The bar man stating I was too drunk. I then spoke with his manager who refused too. I then took it up with the duty manager who seemed to sort it out. A further manager above these came over and said the bar man could refuse other wise he would be fined. Eventually after waiting over an hour we were allowed our drink, but unfortunately it had spoiled what was a good night and our anniversary. I will be taking my complaint further. Watch this space

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank 1,222,678
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I booked on a dinner bed and breakfast deal, which for £135 was excellent value for money. I had a corner room on the second floor which was very large. The bathroom was small, but lovely and immaculately clean. Dinner was delicious. Breakfast was a feast - don't miss it.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great location, lovely friendly check-in. Probs occurred with room 3 long hairs found around bath, shampoo & shower gel that were half used and obviously so! Bar service was atrocious lacklustre staff no friendly welcome. Service slow and couldn't be bothered to clear glasses & wipe table from previous customers. Disappointing as have stayed in a number of different Malmaisons but this first time stay at the Newcastle branch was not up to the same standard

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for work and was completely blown away by how fantastic the whole experience was. At reception the staff were nice and friendly. My room was fantastic nice big comfortable lovely view of the millennium bridge. The card in my room welcoming me personally with the offer of a free drink in the hotel bar was a lovely welcoming touch after my long travel.
I enjoyed room service which I must say was cooked to perfection and came promptly. I genuinely enjoyed my stay so much took the time to fill in the comments card before leaving. However I didn't think my stay could have got any better until I went down to breakfast which was exquisite, I had the waffles for breakfast a treat I wouldn't normally have and I must say they were beautiful.
I arrived at my meeting that day well rested and very happy, all thanks to your wonderful hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 27th April on the Sunday night stopover deal and chose to upgrade our room to a junior suit. When we arrived in our room it was well presented and very clean well worth the upgrade. We also ate in the hotel and could not fault the service or the quality of the food. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we also got a glass of fizz as a gift from the hotel as it was the first night of our honeymoon. We had a couple of cocktails in the bar after our food it was a lovely atmosphere and we're happy to make anything we asked for. Would definitely stop here again and with the Deal it's silly not to upgrade!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a dark, badly laid out, poor value for money hotel. Breakfast was poor, room lacked the vroom factor. Bar and dining room were extremely noisy. I would not recommend or stay in this hotel again, especially on a Saturday evening

The views of the river was the only plus side of the stay. The evening meal was extremely good but ruined by the rowdiness of many of the diners

John and Christine

Room Tip: Despite a allocated a room on the South side, 6 floor we were kept awake by guests shouting and bang...