“Such a lovely place!”

Clifton House Hotel
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed for 2 nights last weekend. Such a lovely place! Full of character and charm. The host and staff were delightful, friendly and offered lots of information on Newcastle and the surrounding area. The property is situated on a very quiet street. I approached it from Central Station and the walk was less than 20 minutes. Buses also run from the city centre to close to the property. There was ample car parking spaces and the hotel would make a great location for people on motoring holidays.

I stayed in Room 9 (single room, non ensuite) which was decorated very tastefully, and had lots of character. The room failities included a T.V. and wash hand basin. The shared bathroom/toilet was situated immediately beside my room and was freely available each time I required to use it. I never heard a noice once in my room. No disturbance of any kind.

Breakfast was great. The large room it was served in was elegant and full of character. Gentle music was playing. A buffet of fresh fruit, cereals, orange juice and yogurt was available and a freshly prepared full English breakfast along with freshly brewed coffee was provided. All was excellent.

I was surprised by just how good the hotel is and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: The non ensuite room 9 is right beide the shared bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 July 2012

My friend and I wanted to get a weekend break away and decided on Newcastle.

We were looking for some nightlife but understood that the hotel was more for the family orientated stay so respected their wishes. The staff were very polite and accommodating and pointed out 'hot spots' for us to go and enjoy food, drinks and dancing.

We really enjoyed the peace and quiet of the area and it was easy to get in and out of town.

Breakfast was also very yummy!

Really nice decor throughout and our twin room was very spacious. It was cleaned and tidied every day to a good standard.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 days in room 11 - a spacious double ensuite - although on the top floor. Included was a (full english) breakfast. There is a small bar which we did not use.The decor and furnishings were very pleasant and generally very clean and tidy. The staff very polite and helpful. Located just outside of the city centre its a short bus, car or taxi drive away. Our one complaint was we were wakened very early each morning by the bright sunshine, which could have been avoided by fitting blinds or linings to the curtains. However should we really complain about the sunshine?? Overall we can't really fault and represented good value for money and would use again next time we visit Newcastle.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty climbing stairs be sure to avoid the top floor(s).
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

As I cycled the 2 miles from Newcastle centre up to Clifton House Hotel, I started to become a little apprehensive. The area seemed quite run down - not exactly rough but just not looked after. But Clifton House is like an oasis in a desert, a lovely stately old building. Caterina was so warm and friendly and immediately upgraded me to a very pretty en suite room, made even cosier by well placed lamps which were on as I entered the room. Even though it was June (but a cold evening), the coal fire was lit in the cosy sitting/dining room. Again, in the morning, a coal fire and lamps on every table made the dining room cosy on a rainy day.
I stay in B+Bs a lot. Some are run down, and some are so posh I can't relax. Clifton House was perfect. I would go so far as to say it's the best I've ever stayed in - and fantastic value for money as well. Just waiting for another excuse to go to Newcastle so I can go back there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kormachameleon
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My husband and an eldery friend have been coming to this Hotel for the last 13 years, 10 of those years under the present owners Catarina and John, we come every June for a Convention We have become really good friends with Catarina and John we are always made very welcome when we arrive and nothing is too much trouble for them. Even when we havn't been too well at different times Catarina has always been on hand to help in any way she can which is such a comfort.
We have seen over the years how they have steadily upgraded the hotel to a high standard,and we have always found the staff polite and friendly.
We also like the fact that the cooked breakfast is freshly cooked to order and you can have any combinatoin you like
It is also situated in a quiet safe area
We would recommend this Hotel to others,it must be good or we wouldn't keep coming back every year!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

A very quiet hotel which offers a good filling breakfast. I was upgraded from a single to a double at no extra charge. It's out of the city centre, but not too far. The owner was very helpful and pointed me to a very good Indian restaurant in walking distance. I will come again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ruralbliss
Reviewed 21 May 2012

All what you expect from Guest house and more. Lovely room, spacious and clean. Breakfast excellent and very generous.
Location is 5 min away from City Centre and similar to the airport which was great for me.
John is very friendly and helps a lot if you need direction or an early wake-up reminder.

Highly recommended