“A great evening”
Review of The Broad Chare

The Broad Chare
Reserve with OpenTable
The Broad Chare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“A great evening”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This place is near to the Quayside, it is lively and welcoming. As well as the dishes to be seen on their menu there are always many more on their daily board. We opted for a selection of bar snacks as a starter, all tasty and then we chose from the board. The meals are hearty and very generous. Service is very good. It is the second time we have eaten here and we will return.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Failed to meet our expectations.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I am surprised that The Broad Char achieves such consistently stunning reviews.
We called in for an evening meal, having read the reviews & were rather disappointed.
It is a lovely venue, full of character & our party of five had high expectations.
Ordered drinks from the bar & agreed with their suggestion to pay for the drinks with our meal.
The staff were polite but reserved, they didn't have the warm, welcoming manner that is usual in this city.
All our food was OK, not exceptional & we thought some of the prices a little steep.
My choice was the dish of the day "mince beef & dumplings". Thought the chefs might have ideas to liven up this canteen staple - they didn't. With the addition of a 10% service charge this simple meal cost £13.75! The service charge was also added to the drinks we had at the bar.

• Visited May 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Food, welcoming staff, great location”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Found this gastro pub, that was once a dock side warehouse, located on the quayside, Newcastle. Serves food in an upstairs dining room , the menu is straightforward but contains items to suit all pallets. There are daily specials written up on blackboards dotted around the room to offer food to tempt the most discerning. The food is some of the best I have experienced, I can recommend the fish and the duck dish as being first class and the quality of the cooking was better than many 4 star/5 star restaurants in capitals all over the world that I have dined in over the last 20 years. Staff are friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Staying for a night in Newcastle, then make this the place you go to eat, you wont be disappointed, but make sure you book before you go to avoid disappointment.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Comfortable with a great atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a great dining concept - pub-like but a bit special with informed yet informal service. For starters we chose the bar bits including pork skin and deep fried fish cheeks - great for sharing. The mains are very good value and Tuesday was oxtail day and it was excellent. Unbeatable value and first class grub.

Chester
“Excellent, highly recommended with a great pub atmosphere”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I dined at the Broad Chare on the 09.05.2014 1800hrs. I decided to book an early slot prior to taking in a concert at the Gateshead Sage, which the Broad Chare is ideally suited being just over the Millennium bridge on the Newcastle side of the Quayside. Where do I start? Well the service was very good, attentive but not pushy which I really like. The menu was compact which I also like. Some would criticise but for me huge menus bring to many complications with them & lots of pre-prepared elements. I started with Scotch eggs which were superb followed by the Calves Liver & devilled sauce which also included mashed potatoes & spring greens so there were no hidden extras required. This to was amazing the Liver being just perfect not to mention the spring greens plus decent sized portions. Finally for Sweet I indulged in the Hazelnut vanilla sundae - yum! Drinks - Local beer Wylam Breweries - Writers Block & wine, Cuvee 21 [Red] Both were really nice. The beer was exceptional & well kept. If only restaurants could make decent coffee! The only element of the meal I would criticise would be my Flat White coffee - Flat in every aspect :0(
The premises itself is great just as described on its web page. Rustic, Cosy, Scrubbed down, Earthy feeling, I loved it! Even at 1800hrs it was very busy, lots of chat, noisy & atmospheric. All in all a great place.
Why 4 stars? My pet hate are restaurants that include a service charge [discretionary - no not really]. It really winds me up! I want to make my own decision as to whether I should Tip & not have it made for me! As it was, If it it had not been already added I would have left more than the 10% already which had been added to the bill. All in all a really superb Gastro Pub on the Quayside.

• Visited May 2014