“Fantastic day out. Can't wait to go back.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Life Science Centre

Life Science Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For a great day out in Newcastle upon Tyne, look no further than the Life Science Centre with exhibitions, events, theatre shows and the biggest planetarium in the North of England! We’re an award-winning Science Centre full of exciting exhibitions, activities and events for all ages. Our programme changes regularly so there’s always a new reason to visit. And remember - everything is included in the price of admission.Life is an educational charity; we do not receive public funding. All money raised from ticket prices helps us achieve our charitable objectives - to get people of all ages switched on to science and to raise standards in science education. We couldn't do this without your support, so THANK YOU.
manchester
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out. Can't wait to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2015

A lot of people have commented on the cost of entry to this attraction but I thought it was very much worth the cost, particularly when you look into where the money actually goes and how it's used.
We visited the video games exhibition and I honestly believe that I could have left my children, aged 7 and 9, and my brother, aged 40, in there for the remainder of the summer holiday without them getting bored.
The planetarium was amazing. They could have left me in there all day.
The food was excellent; I particularly liked all of the information about digestion on the walls of the cafe.
Goodness knows where they find their staff- they were all just lovely.
Highly recommended.

Consett, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So much to do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

I live 20 minutes away from here but I had never visited as I always choose to visit the free museums which often dispoint me.
Today I decided to take my 7yr son and my 3yr old daughter. I didn't know how it was going to go with going on my own and usually the age gap of the kids can cause friction.
It was excellent we spent about 2hrs playing with all of the interactive tasks. Both children were entertained by different tasks which were close enough to watch both of them and help where needed.
The staff were very friendly and chatted and advised us without being intrusive.
The science lab was fantastic!
The science theatre was great too.
We decided to do the planetarium another day as we loved it all so much we bought a family pass and had been here from 11-4.30.
What can I say about a 7yr old with as many arcade games as he can play without having to put his money into them?! (He asked if we could live there)

A very happy visitor who will be back on Sunday

1 Thank Kpiggott
Antonia L, Digital Marketing Manager at Life Science Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2015
Hi Kpiggott

Thanks so much for posting your lovely feedback! It's great to hear you all enjoyed your visit and have decided to get yourselves Annual Passes. They're definitely the way to go if you're planning multiple visits. I'll pass your comments on to all the staff here - they'll be very pleased.

Sadly we don't offer residential passes, but if that changes we'll let you know ;-) Your son isn't the first to want to move in to Game On 2.0!

Thanks again

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Expensive for what there is.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

We took our 3 young children aged 7,5 and 18 months.
Cost 31.50 and I thought that was expensive but wanting to entertain and hopefully educate the kids paid and entered with high expectations.
There was a few exhibits which did encourage interaction with kids but they soon got bored sweeping sand from fake bones and sticking magnets to a wall!
Our son is a gamer so we made our way to the game on 2.0 exhibition which to be fair was good, even for adults remembering consoles from our childhood.
While the boys played with the computer games I took the girls to the planiterium which was showing 'little bear' we arrived promptly and got seated and shortly afterwards a quietly spoken young girl spoke ( I'm assuming it was to announce the start but she was hard to hear )
Planiterium was good, although very short.

We then made our way to the top floor which probably was the highlight of our trip, kids enjoyed playing with the soft play shapes and in the perfectly sized kitchen/supermarket.

We decided not to eat in cafe as there wasn't enough choice for our fussy eaters.

Need to review entry fees and update some of the exhibitions in entrance.

Hi Leanne

Thanks for leaving your feedback. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed Game On 2.0, the planetarium and the Young Explorers' Zone! It seems like your visit was very positive overall :)

Regarding our entry fees, Life is an educational charity and we don't receive any public funding or subsidies, so our entrance fees are essential for us to continue operating. We feel our ticket prices are fair in comparison to other family days out, for example a cinema trip, especially as our research - and indeed other Trip Advisor reviews - show that many families spend the whole day with us.

You'll be pleased to know what we're currently in the process of planning updates to the exhibition you mention nearest the entrance. This should be ready to open around Spring 2016, and will be all about the brain and the mind. We completed a similar renovation in Spring 2015 - the new Experiment Zone - which has been a huge hit with visitors, so we have high hopes for the new brain gallery too.

I hope you'll give us another chance, perhaps to see the new brain exhibition when it's in place next year.

Thanks

Newcastle
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fun day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2015

I enjoyed the computer exhibition, it was like taking a trip down memory lane!! Lots of different consoles and games to play on. Can't beat the original Space invaders and Pong!! It kept my husband and nieces busy for hours!! Lots of other activities to do such as The planetarium, 4D motion ride and fun experiments. Many people say the entry fee is expensive, but if you can stay for hours and have fun like we did. then it is well worth the money!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“can I have my money back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2015

I paid a hellish amount of money for a annual membership x2 honestly wish I didn't no where near as much as I expected we where done within 1/2 hour the morin ride was off the game exhibition was mmmmmm ok the motion ride off we got theese tickets as we spend a lot of time in the city and where looking for some where to go from time to time honestly just go to the discovery museum its free and better any who can we get our money back ???

Visited June 2015
Hi Kingbee93

I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel your recent visit offered value for money. It's very rare for visitors to buy an Annual Pass having never visited - in fact we offer a 'try before you buy' option for this reason.

I'd really like to find out more about your visit and get your issue resolved for you. Please drop us an email at info@life.org.uk and we'll discuss it further.

I look forward to hearing from you via email.

Thanks