“Medieval magic”

and up
Gory Walking Tour of Newcastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Now reopened to the public after a £1.67M restoration... Explore the site of the Castle that gave the city its name and discover its medieval gatehouse, the Black Gate. Uncover the changing face of the Castle through the ages: from royal fortress and border stronghold to grim dungeon and teeming slum. New exhibits allow visitors to experience what life would have been like for inhabitants in these two astonishingly preserved medieval buildings.
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I felt a little out of breath winding my way round all those staircases, but well worth the effort. You need a head for heights, but the views of the Tyne and Newcastle are fabulous from the top. It could do with a little bit more interpretation as I felt quite disorientated at one point, and I'm sure I retraced my steps more than once. In saying that, the chap at the front entrance was very helpful. Personally I think tickets should be available at both the Black Gate and the Keep. I didn't have that much time and felt a bit cross. having to go to the Black Gate to buy a ticket to enter the Keep. What a very strange set up.

All reviews
"black gate"
in 93 reviews
"great views from the top"
in 17 reviews
"entrance fee"
"lots of history"
"great place to visit"

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The Black Gate Museum & the Castle Keep have some interesting artifacts on display as well as a small shop selling sweets and souveniers. Although the climb to the top of the Keep involves negotiating more than 100 stone steps the view over the river & the town is worth the effort.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This is an authentic castle, probably the one after which the city is named. I only saw it from the outside, without taking the tour, but even there you have informative posters and a beautiful garden to see!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Very interesting castle and associated buildings restored to the best condition with out complete renovation the roof is accessible giving commanding views of the Tyne,
there are, as you might expect steep staircases to negotiation whilst each nock and cranny reveal something of interest.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This was an unexpected gem. Wherever we travel we always try to fit in a tour of a local castle. I'd never heard of Newcastle Castle but I'm so glad we visited!

The keep is still in incredible condition. If you are like me & enjoy being able to walk around castle staircases & walk ways this is one of the best. The walkways are well lit & less spooky than other castles with lots of nooks to explore- we would definitely return with our children. We spent 2 hours wandering around & reading the interesting history of the grounds. The prisoner holding cells were really interesting. Would definitely visit again.