“Fantastic meal & service”
Review of The White Swan Inn

The White Swan Inn
Ranked #206 of 1,305 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Had never been to this pub before so thought we`d give it try - so glad we did! The sight of the wonderful hanging baskets when we arrived in the car park was wonderful.
Booked a table for 4pm on a Sunday(reservations have to be made) for my parents,father in a wheelchair,my husband & 3 yr old daughter.
Front of house were very polite,friendly & helpful. Showed us to our table & helped to get my father`s wheelchair in a comfortable position. The service was very prompt,but you weren`t hassled if you said you weren`t ready to order.
Fantastic choice on the menu,even on the child`s menu,food arrived hot & was beautiful. Would recommend the roast beef dinner!
The waiting staff were excellent,couldn`t do enough to help. We all enjoyed the experience so much we`ve just booked for Christmas Day!!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

we arrived (four of us - my parents, my brother and myself to celebrate my brothers birthday) on a glorious sunny night and were met with a fantastic array of hanging baskets in the beer garden - inside was just as nice with subdued lighting and wildlife paintings, the place was spotless, the service excellent with staff falling over themselves to be helpful, the choice of meals was very good and reasonably priced, for starters we had oriental fishcakes with sweet chili sauce which literally melted in the mouth with an explosion of taste but not too hot. for my main i had the moroccan chicken which again was very flavoursome not too spicy and came with chips and rice, and for pudding i had tiramasu which was light but full of flavour. my dad had hunters chicken the chicken was tender and wrapped in bacon and mozzarella with a tasty barbecue sauce but it was his banana split he enjoyed the most with 3 flavours of icecream, my mam had beef stroganoff - the sauce was really creamy and full of taste with the beef just melting in the mouth. my brother had the venison burger which he really enjoyed and for pudding he had the baileys cheesecake, which he said didn't have enough of a baileys taste but was a refreshing end to the meal - we had a thoroughly magical night especially when on leaving walked through the beer garden to hear running water and see flashing purple fairy light displays in the trees - a big thank you to everyone and we are hoping for a repeat visit soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

A party of eight of us went. The menu was excellent with plenty choices and very reasonably priced.When the meal came my salmon was beautiful and a large portion. Nothing looked as though it had come out of a packet!
The service was excellent with one particular young man who couldn't do enough to help us. All the staff were very friendly. .

The beer garden is gorgeous and we will all be going back for the Christmas menu!

Would definitey recommend a visit.

Thanks White Swan

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I called to book at table, saying it was for my 50th birthday with my family. A tuesday at 7pm. When we arrived there was no reserved table. We ordered a very simple kids macaroni cheese, 2 scampi, lamb shank, garlic and chilli prawns with salad and a side order of bread to share. Not difficult and hardly an adventure in culinary excellence. They still got it wrong. I don't know how. When it did arrive it was the most bland meal I can describe. My poor brother got a "salad" with his prawns and a piece of "rustic bread" that should have been used as an alternative to brick. My daughter got the wrong meal. There were only 6 on the children's menu! Would Macaroni cheese be a difficult thing to present?
I complained, I'm sorry, I was actually really upset, I'd read good reviews as a solid family restaurant and I wasn't expecting Michelin starred but when I asked why the order was delivered incorrectly and the bread couldn't have been consumed by Jaws I was told "that was how it was warmed in the oven". When I asked how it got on the plate in that state I was given a "sorry". DON'T APOLOGISE, GET IT RIGHT. A truly upsetting experience. I wish I could say otherwise but I was close to tears as I left. They're resting on their laurels. Don't believe what the other reviews say.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had heard good reports about the food so decided to try it. From pulling into the car park we were very impressed. The beer garden looked beautiful with lots of gorgeous hanging baskets in full bloom. We ate inside which was also tastefully decorated. The staff were very polite and pleasant. The Sunday lunch was very nice, piping hot and fresh. We would definitely make this a place to visit regularly for Sunday lunch.

1  Thank Brenda W