“Warm friendly off beat.”
Review of Cafe 1901

Cafe 1901
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Attached to Jesmond Methodist Church
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Warm friendly off beat.”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I visited this café to reconnoitre it as a future meeting place for a group event in January. I had trolled the internet looking for an interesting, off beat, eclectic venue. This was to be the first place to visit, well it was the first and also became the only place. What a great, bizarre, novel homely coffee shop. The waiter was brilliant, as was the patroness. We booked our group party in without hesitation after sampling the food and coffee. Can't wait to go back, I certainly will report back to see if dealing with a large party on a Saturday lunch time is as good an experience. Do you know I really feel we are in for a treat!

• Visited November 2013

• Polish first
Brigsteer, United Kingdom
“great atmosphere”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Don't let the fact that this cafe is housed in a church hall put you off. Inside you will find a quirky cafe,good coffee ,friendly service and a nice atmosphere.
Personally I only had coffee but the breakfasts,snacks and cakes that were being served up certainly looked good. The cafe has a good supply of newspapers and mags.
In all civilized,friendly and independent.

• Visited November 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Their coffee is not as good as they think”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have visited Café 1901 regularly since its opening. The atmosphere of the place is lovely and the staff have always been nice to me. It is so nice to see a genuinely independent café on Acorn Road and I love the choice of food and drink. However, today and on previous occasions I have found their coffee to be very bitter. I always drink Americanos with cream. I had one today and it tasted so disappointingly acrid and it's hardly cheap, so I decided to set aside my Englishness and go and tell them. I presumed that the barista had used too hot water to make it or perhaps that the cream was sour, both easy mistakes to make. The lady manageress was very kind and took it back and said she would make another. The gentleman making the drinks then brought another one over and offered me double cream instead, which I prefer anyway. But this drink was just as harsh and sharp as lemons so I took it back again. This time of course, they were less understanding. I wasn't doing it to complain, I was doing it so they could learn from their mistakes. I like the place so much, I wouldn't want them to lose business because of small mistakes. The barista told me there was nothing wrong with my drink, that he had tasted the one I originally brought back and said it was fine. We just had to agree to disagree, but I won't be having their coffee again. My girlfriend loves their teas though, so I might just stick to them instead.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BenNDiana
“A Hidden Jem in Jesmond.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

As a bit of coffee elitist I find it heart warming to find a location in Newcastle with such good coffee. The cafe itself is quirky and very cosmopolitan. I had soup, but the icing on the cake was their pastrys which were obviously made fresh by someone who knows what they're doing.

• Visited September 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely decoration”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This venue is so unique. I love all the mix-matching furniture, vintage artefacts and cool wall art. They have a great selection of interesting drinks. I love to take friends here as it always blows them away. It's tucked away through an old church entrance, you wouldn't really know what was there and then it all open up and wow. A great first impression. A must for vintage lovers :)

• Visited September 2013