“A great find!”

Description: Attached to Jesmond Methodist Church
Sunderland
“A great find!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Went here with my son for a quick lunch - he'd been before but it was my first visit. I loved the decor, ambience and great service. Soup of the day was delicious - parsnip and rosemary, served with soft, chunky brown bread and Lurpak! It isn't the cheapest cafe, I agree, but not astronomical - £15 for soup, panini and Tyrell's crisps, hot choc with "all the trimmings" and a big pot of tea; more atmosphere and much nicer than a department store charging similar prices….

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sue1562

• Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Move over the Butterfly Cabinet...”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

....well not quite, but this is the first cafe I've come across in Newcastle and surrounding areas that could be up there with the Butterfly Cabinet in Heaton (a firm favourite of mine for years).

I love the decor, right up my street. The only thing I'd say about it is it is very cramped and difficult to move about, no room really for wheelchairs or pushchairs.

I had a cheese and tomato croissant £3.50 if I remember correctly and hot chocolate which I don't remember the exact price, but I think the prices are in line with other higher end cafés (obviously not a greasy spoon). My food and drink were tasty, only wish there had been a bit more of it! I must be greedy though because I find many restaurants and cafés now serve fairly small portions in my eyes.

My personal only real downer about this place was I really wish there had been some music, it was lacking atmosphere and seemed a bit stiff. There were no younger crowds in, perhaps it was just timing, as it was a Tuesday lunchtime but I was surprised as this cafe was right on trend and thought it would have a steady flow of students and young professionals.

Either way I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Jesmond to try it out again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Astronomical prices, dry cake and burnt coffee. Good luck if you have a pram too.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have been coming to cafe 1901 ever since its opening week, and have since seen it deteriorate which is a shame as it has a lot of potential. The staff are smilier than they used to be but I always seem to come out regretting having gone in.

The first thing I noticed on my last trip is that they have altered the tables so that if you have a pram, there are only 2 or 3 tables you can actually access. And the staff push past you while you're trying to squeeze through (patiently) to get one of those seats.

The second thing I noticed on my last trip was that a coffee and cake will set you back £6.30. When I expressed shock at the price, the smiley lady serving me thrust the receipt into my hand, awaiting payment. Feeling robbed, I squeezed into my seat again and awaited my snack. When it arrived the cake was very dry and the coffee (Mocha) tasted of cinder toffee with a burned taste and the chocolate powder had formed lumps in the milk. Don't get me wrong, if the food and coffee are good enough I'm happy to pay over the odds but I honestly (and it pains me to say this) will just go to Starbucks next time. A weekend treat shouldn't leave you feeling like you've been robbed and with a literal bad taste in your mouth. You've lost me as a customer, sorry.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank trisarahtops84
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Warm friendly off beat.”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I visited this café to reconnoitre it as a future meeting place for a group event in January. I had trolled the internet looking for an interesting, off beat, eclectic venue. This was to be the first place to visit, well it was the first and also became the only place. What a great, bizarre, novel homely coffee shop. The waiter was brilliant, as was the patroness. We booked our group party in without hesitation after sampling the food and coffee. Can't wait to go back, I certainly will report back to see if dealing with a large party on a Saturday lunch time is as good an experience. Do you know I really feel we are in for a treat!

• Visited November 2013
Brigsteer, United Kingdom
“great atmosphere”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Don't let the fact that this cafe is housed in a church hall put you off. Inside you will find a quirky cafe,good coffee ,friendly service and a nice atmosphere.
Personally I only had coffee but the breakfasts,snacks and cakes that were being served up certainly looked good. The cafe has a good supply of newspapers and mags.
In all civilized,friendly and independent.

• Visited November 2013