“Last visit, sadly”

Cafe 1901
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Attached to Jesmond Methodist Church
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a really lovely place with very nice, albeit rather expensive, food and drink. If I were rating it on that alone it would be much higher. Where it falls down seriously is on the service. There always seems to be a problem with what we order and what we actually get!!!! Most of the staff are very pleasant but we came out feeling that we had been awkward customers when actually they had got our order wrong! Sadly I won't be returning which is a shame because it's a lovely, quirky place.

1  Thank RamblerNewcastle
There are newer reviews for Cafe 1901

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This cafe has a lovely atmosphere and is beautifully decorated but the pricing is far from student friendly. I order a pot of tea for two and was charged £6 which is my opinion is extortionately overpriced for a pot of tea which contained no more than 3 cups. I certainly won't be returning.

2  Thank MSheps
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked for a group of up to 20 to come mid January at lunch time. I was very impressed with the friendliness and lovely food when I booked and was wondering if in the middle of a busy Saturday they would be as accommodating. I needn't have worried all was wonderful. They had moved a large table from the back of the café to central stage, they had worried there wouldn't have been enough space for everyone to sit comfortably, and kept a small table free at the end 'just in case' it wasn't needed as we were very happy on our big table, everyone could talk to each other and admire the different dishes we each chose. As it was still morning (technically) quite a few of us had the brunch-excellent. Panini's and sandwiches were also sampled. Various different cups of teas, coffees and hot chocolates appeared with a smiling waitress who wasn't put off by our confused bantering' Oh I think that is mine, oh no it's not' etc. Their cakes and scones were great and I bought a bottle of their Ginger wine-the best I have ever had. Brilliant. one friend said 'Thank you for introducing me to a hidden gem, I often come to Jesmond and never knew this was here'. She and the rest of us will be back!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Went here with my son for a quick lunch - he'd been before but it was my first visit. I loved the decor, ambience and great service. Soup of the day was delicious - parsnip and rosemary, served with soft, chunky brown bread and Lurpak! It isn't the cheapest cafe, I agree, but not astronomical - £15 for soup, panini and Tyrell's crisps, hot choc with "all the trimmings" and a big pot of tea; more atmosphere and much nicer than a department store charging similar prices….

1  Thank Sue1562
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

....well not quite, but this is the first cafe I've come across in Newcastle and surrounding areas that could be up there with the Butterfly Cabinet in Heaton (a firm favourite of mine for years).

I love the decor, right up my street. The only thing I'd say about it is it is very cramped and difficult to move about, no room really for wheelchairs or pushchairs.

I had a cheese and tomato croissant £3.50 if I remember correctly and hot chocolate which I don't remember the exact price, but I think the prices are in line with other higher end cafés (obviously not a greasy spoon). My food and drink were tasty, only wish there had been a bit more of it! I must be greedy though because I find many restaurants and cafés now serve fairly small portions in my eyes.

My personal only real downer about this place was I really wish there had been some music, it was lacking atmosphere and seemed a bit stiff. There were no younger crowds in, perhaps it was just timing, as it was a Tuesday lunchtime but I was surprised as this cafe was right on trend and thought it would have a steady flow of students and young professionals.

Either way I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Jesmond to try it out again.