“Won't ever go on a busy night again”
Review of Dabbawal

Dabbawal
Cuisines: Indian, Street Food
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: DABBAWAL - UK STREET FOOD PIONEERS All home-cooked, nutritious dishes that feed the body, and comfort the soul. Genuine Mumbai Street Food bringing complete satisfaction to those who want their food freshly prepared, and utterly authentic. True to the metropolitan roots of Mumbai’s dabbawalas, we opened our first restaurant in Newcastle’s city centre, upon the cobbles of High Bridge. Along with authentic dishes, the retro styling of High Bridge creates a cosy cocoon of traditional Mumbai chic.
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I usually rave about dabbawal to everyone.. But since my last visit I must admit I've avoided it like the plague.

Went on a Saturday night, the place was rammed and the staff looked completely lost amidst the chaos, but also didn't look the concerned either.

We were politely shown to our table and within the space of about 5 minutes we were asked about 8 times what we'd like to drink and if we were ready to order. This really annoyed me as I hadn't had time to read the whole menu yet. We ordered drinks which took a very long time to arrive and once we decided to order no one would come anywhere near our table and so we couldn't get anyone's attention.

Eventually by the time we had nearly finished our drinks our orders were taken, and we had to remind them that we had also been waiting for water.

The food was slow (presumable because of the amount of people) but there was no complaints about its taste.

My main problem is that we felt almost ignored all night, the tables around us were cleared and seen to more than we were, one waiter was so clumsy he kept sticking his bum into my friend and nearly on top of our table every time he served the tables around us. Which also brings me onto the problem of the tables are far too close together. It was a little awkward when the girl sat on the table beside us was crying and it was so close that you had to physically turn to avoid the situation.

Because the waiters didn't have a clue who should be where we were asked the same question several times and when given a dessert menu, our waiter disappeared and then no one came to get our dessert order.

Dessert was also a waste of money and I recommend no one ever bothers with dessert there.

To top it all off, it was also a hassle to get the bill and for the waiter to even turn up with the bill once we had asked for it.

Unless you go on a Monday or Tuesday night when it's quiet, I wouldn't bother.

2  Thank rouxlover

Reviewed 11 December 2013

By far one of the best Indian type food meals we've tasted. Went with wife and a couple of friends and had a thoroughly pleasant experience. General ambience very good and service reasonably quick. This our first visit but we will certainly be back - sooner rather than later!

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Love the idea of having tapas size portions to be able to sample a variety of dishes. I dropped into the Highbridge restaurant, lured by the aroma. Watching the chef in the kitchen was quite impressive and the recommended Bhel Puri very tasty as were salmon and chicken tandoori dishes. On the down side, the chap behind the bar didn't seem able to manage his staff without growling at them. A minor point perhaps, but was noteable.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The flavours are always fresh and unusual and the food nicely presented. Service is friendly and efficient. Good, happy but busy atmosphere and central to everything in Newcastle...thanks again

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Been to Dabbawal in newcastle a few times now and keep going back
Simply the best Indian food I've had in a uk restaurant!

The service is always good and they even do great cocktails !

I would recommend the Dabbawal grill for starter and Railway lamb curry simply delicious!