“Tremendous food!!”

Dabbawal
Cuisines: Indian, Street Food
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: DABBAWAL - UK STREET FOOD PIONEERS All home-cooked, nutritious dishes that feed the body, and comfort the soul. Genuine Mumbai Street Food bringing complete satisfaction to those who want their food freshly prepared, and utterly authentic. True to the metropolitan roots of Mumbai’s dabbawalas, we opened our first restaurant in Newcastle’s city centre, upon the cobbles of High Bridge. Along with authentic dishes, the retro styling of High Bridge creates a cosy cocoon of traditional Mumbai chic.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Staying at the Indigo Hotel, where staff recommended Dabbawal for Tuesday night dinner. This place did not disappoint, perhaps the best Indian meal my wife and I have ever had!! Service was top drawer and it was great value for money. We both went for main meals instead of the tapas option. The sea bass Makalia was outstanding as was the Railway Lamb Curry & Saffron Pulao. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked a table on line. When we arrived they had no record of this however did find us a table straight away. We opted for the chefs surprise which i did find over priced. Nann bread was the best i have ever had but everything else was just average. I asked for only 1 lamb dish as was told we would get chicken and prawn but no dishes had prawns in just 1 chicken main and 1 main lamb dish, starters but no sweet. Service was ok but staff left a lot to be desired. Wont go back or recommend if I am honest but an ok meal/

Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you want the real taste and sense of Indian food then Dabbawal offers a great experience- informal, friendly atmosphere, relaxed food sharing, lots of laughter! The food is thoughtfully put together, creatively presented, prepared from fresh ingredients, and delights the eyes as well as the taste-buds- a great choice for a friends night out!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I' m a complete fan... This restaurant is not only original in it's design, but the menu is inspired .Refreshing to have a difference on the usual Indian meal in UK. Staff all endeavour to please regardless of how busy they are.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Dabbawal is in a great area, near a lot of bars we like, and we'd been eyeballing it for a few weeks before finally stopping in for dinner last Tuesday night. We came quite early, around 6, but when we walked by later around 930 the place was absolutely packed! It's cute and casual, with multiple small dining rooms and brightly colored walls. The atmosphere is fun and relaxed.

I started with a Dabbawal Martini, selected from their decent cocktail menu, but I was disappointed in the drink. It didn't have the touch of sweetness I think it needed. This is a drink made of raspberry puree, raspberry vodka, and raspberry liqueur - unsurprisingly perhaps, it was pretty one-note. Maybe I should've ordered more wisely!

The food menu has a large section of Indian tapas and share plates, which is a fun change from the usual curry house menus. We started with sweet potato chaat (chaat being, I think, a term for any savory street food snack) - which was roasted sweet potato drizzled with chutney and yogurt (£4.25). I liked it, though my boyfriend was ambivalent. It was simple, but very tasty. Perhaps too liberal with the yogurt but nice to have a vegetable, and it was flavorful and well-cooked. Then we split the Big Eat size of the Punjabi Chilli Chicken Tikka (all Tandoor dishes are available in small plate and large plate size) for £8.50, the South Indian Lamb Pepper Fry for £9.50, vegetable rice (the pulao of the day) and garlic naan. The Chicken Tikka was really nice, strong flavor and very juicy! I've had enough dried out tandoori chicken, so this really pleasantly surprised me. The South Indian Lamb was very good as well, though tasting more like something you'd expect to see in a nice curry house. But the meat was tender and the sauce went well with the rice. The garlic naan was amazing somehow - probably because you could see the buttery garlic spread over the toasty top of each piece!

We both really enjoyed our meal and would definitely return - though I'd stick with wine or beer, to be safe! Some of the food is quite creative, and the food that isn't especially novel is prepared very well and is a good value. And worth noting, they make special note that they cook with lean meat and do not cook with ghee. Indeed, the food does taste lighter than the usual Indian food. All food is certified halal, and there are nice vegetarian options - particularly amongst the share plates. I'm sure we'll be back soon!