“Disgusting Shameful Service”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disgusting Shameful Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

My partner has already commented on this lamentable place , But since the hostility seemed to be aimed at me i feel i am justified in this review.
The treatment handed out seems to have been precipitated by me having the audacity to order a vindaloo ???? Now as indian food is a favourite of mine and maybe my taste buds are jaded, but i actually enjoy eating "hot" food... which in this establishment seemed to aggrieve this waiter or whatever he was, sooo much that my partner and i were subjected to astonishingly bad manners , despite neither of us being lager fuelled louts (we are both in our late 40's and professionals!!) .
The look of incredulity on his face when i ordered the V word was astonishing , the tuts and head shaking ... i was now condemned as "not worthy" and was from then on subjected to the worst service experience in 30 yrs of eating out.
Now if i had been eating in Lasan or another high class / cutting edge Asian restaurant i could understand (to a degree ) some reaction , but believe me this place isnt Lasan or anywhere near it.
We were then subjected to various dishes thrown on the table unceremoniously and this obnoxious individual standing over us , i may as well have burgled his house for the treatment i received. No extra drinks were offered , no coffee , no desserts, no thank yous NOTHING .
As for the food it was ok to mediocre and about £2 for a naan bread that was no more than 9in was poor value, but the best food in the world couldnt make amends for this particular unsavoury individual.
I have been in restaurants when staff have been unacceptably abused and its completely disgraceful..... i never thought i would be on the end of such treatment myself.

THALI hang your head in shame

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank STEVEnALI
managerthali, Owner at Thali, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Please read my response to your partners review!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Terrible service, food not bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I'm so angry having just eaten at this restaurant. We were treated like second class citizens from the moment we walked through the door. As you will see from my other reviews I am not an unreasonable person, but the service we received from one waiter in this restaurant was appauling and I have had to sit and write this review to stop my head exploding with anger!! We were shown to our seats and given menu's. The waiter then came across and took our drinks order, we ordered a pint and half of lager, this was delivered and banged down on our table. After a few minutes we ordered food and the waiter couldnt have made it more obvious to us that we were far inferior to him and how dare we order a vindaloo!!! The look on his face was a picture as he sniffed and shook his head. No matter, maybe he had a bad day. Starters came, I'm not going to mention the food because on the whole it was good. A different waiter placed them on the table, no problem. I finished mine and my other half was still half way through his when the the waiter in question (wish I had got his name!) took it upon himself to stand at the side of the table and wait until he'd finished eating, no pressure there then! The mains arrived in good time and were tasty, on first sight portions were a bit small, but the my food was very nice, as I say this isn't a review about the food but the poor service. The emply plates were cleared and within 2 minutes two hot towels were banged down on the table. OK we thought so we dont want dessert or coffee obviously!! We requested the bill which again was banged down with a couple of After Eights. On paying I did mention that it would have been nice to have been offered dessert and coffee "oh do you want coffee" I was asked, no I replied, it doesn't matter. We paid the bill and left never to return. As I have said the food was OK, but the service........ oh my....appauling and needless to say no tip was left. I would just like to say I was a paying guest not a piece of dirt on the waiters shoe. Never again!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Alibobs_11
managerthali, Owner at Thali, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
I am sad to this review as we always strive to give the best possible service as is evident by the number of positive reviews we have received to date. I would like to apologies for my waiters below the par performance, however I would like to kindly inform you that when you dined in my restaurant on Friday we were busy, we had one chef absent in the kitchen which put pressure on us watering staff to help out in the kitchen as much as we could and we are in the middle of our fasting month, so maybe that was to blame for his erratic behaviour? Even though they all sound like excuses that is the genuine case.

Anyway as I said before we pride ourselves on honest food and the service to match, I am sorry we made you feel like a second class citizens and dirt on my waiters shoe. Being established for over 17 years in one of the most competitive areas in Newcastle reflects our hard work and ethics to make dining in my restaurant, unique and one to remember. After reading all the positive reviews we have received over the past few months I can only put your experience in Thali down to a bad day in the office.

I hope you appreciate the time I have taken to respond to your review as I don't have the chance to thank everyone or get to respond to the reviews I receive, therefore I would like to thank everyone for there kind words and continued support. I will take your points on board and hopefully if we get given the chance, prove to you that Thali is up there amongst the finest Indian restaurants in Newcastle city centre.

All all other reviewers, we are going for a refurbishment so please do visit us after 2-3 weeks or phone the restaurant to find out the latest!

Thanks

Jabir
Owner
Batley, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have visited this restaurant twice now and the food and service have been excellent both times. The prawns in the king prawn dished are the biggest, and tastiest I have ever eaten in an Indian restaurant. We will definitely be dining at Thali again next time we are in Newcastle.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Thali--a haven from the bustle outside and great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We went to Thali last Saturday for dinner--we'd been before but only on a couple of rainy, quiet nights. Instead we stepped inside its quiet surroundings from the bustle of Newcastle city centre on a Saturday night... what a peaceful place!
The food was very good indeed. I am always amazed at the quality and variety of the vegetarian offerings... boyfriend and I shared popadums and dips and I had dahi bonghan as a main course with a freshly baked roti, whereas he had chicken dhansak with rice... and we shared a fragrant pot of dahl! The service is attentive and kind and the food good all around... and reasonably priced for being a city centre joint! Well done to the chef and the staff for offering us a quiet corner in a busy city!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Decent food at an excellent price, super friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

My first impression of the food; the taste is not as mind blowing as in London, but at a very fair price they presented us with a really diverse Indian meal (actually Pakistani). It's not spicy though! The service was attentive but unobtrusive. Only After the meal did we get to talking with the staff, and they turned out to be Super friendly, sharing very openly and were also very genuinely interested in our activities. That personal touch made it a really nice way to spend an evening.