“Nice lunch, excellent service ”
Review of Cafe 21 at Fenwick

Cafe 21 at Fenwick
Ranked #132 of 1,315 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Stylish, sassy, sociable, Cafe 21 at Fenwick is a department store diner with a difference. Full meals to wicked treats. The place to gossip, do business, relax. You deserve some me time.
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Went with my dad and brother for lunch. Service was efficient and polite. I had Spanish ham and tomato bread (very tasty and so much ham I couldn't finish it); my dad and brother had chicks paninis which they said were lovely. One portion of fries did for the three of us. Was slightly more pricey than a cafe but then I think it's more a bistro then a cafe so therefore good value. I come regularly for lunch when I'm in Newcastle and I'd definitely come again

1  Thank LaurenM1981

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I was in Fenwick's buying some birthday cards for my Mother and popped into Cafe 21. I sampled baked haddock, chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. Excellently cooked, no batter on the fish, which I suspect was cooked en papillote as the fish was succulent, light and fresh. For dessert I indulged in a very nice chocolate mouse with sour cherries. As it was Newcastle Restaurant week this set me back the grand total of £10 which is excellent value when you consider Fenwick's charged me £12 for 3 birthday cards!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've been going to Cafe 21 in Fenwick for years but lately the standards are definitely slipping. The afternoon tea is absolutley standard stuff and you just know that Terry Laybourne could jazz it up a bit without upsetting any traditionalists. Cardinal sin is making the sandwiches and keeping them in the fridge so they are cold when served. The cakes were predictable and, quite frankly, borderline stale with the scones being the best thing on the plate as they were at least fresh. Most superior places offer a good choice of teas which again was lacking in Cafe 21. If you're listening Terry have a look at sketch in London which might give you a few ideas! Only joking - you've got plenty of ideas so let's move out of the teatime comfort zone and get the kettle boiling.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Have tried many afternoon teas in Newcastle, and cafe 21 is by far the best. Their sandwiches were nicely seasoned, not like some others who would give you egg-mayo sandwich quite plainly. The scones were delicious and great texture. The top layer also amazed me. Great macaron, not too sweet, just right. All the other deserts were also delicate, beautiful, and with great taste. They don't take reservations, so just go. Try this averagely-priced great afternoon tea!

2  Thank Can W
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Use cafe 21 on a regular basis as it's reliable,presents good food and very friendly staff. Maître D always on the ball. Main Menu never changes but lunchtime menus different each day. Seabass and caponata amazing. Recommend the americano coffee rather than the regular filter. Scones always fab. In summary very good, a little pricey but expect to be back!