“Cheap place to crash out no frills but did the job!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Park Gate Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Park Gate Hotel
“Cheap place to crash out no frills but did the job!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Read awful reviews and to be honest the location isn't great and the decor is nothing to shout about but the guy on reception was a true gent really lovely helpful and hardworking. Friendly place and for £45 it was clean a small room with a bed and a tv did the job for going to watch kings of Leon at st James so ideal for stag/hen/gigs

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stopped here on saturday. We needed a cheap hotel as we were only stopping in newcastle for one night and I am just pleased it wasn't for going out round town or anything because the atmosphere is not good! Firstly we paid £55 which is a total rip off! We asked for a on suite so we didn't have to share bathroom but we did anyways! The room was empty, no bin! No tea/coffee equipments. The shower was straight infront of the bed with no privacy at all! There was also a used toothbrush under the bed so it makes me think it doesn't get cleaned. In the shared toilet there wasn't even any soap to wash your hands with same with the room! Absolute dreadful. The area is quite rough. Its not ideal for a holiday vacation. Sorry but this hotel shouldn't even be called an hotel! Would definitely not recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Radcliffe, Gr Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend a stay at The West Park Hotel, look somewhere else!
Myself and partner booked a stay with 5 others and for £45-£55 a room we were all thoroughly disappointed. Firstly the 'hotel' should not called a hotel more of a hostel! Shared toilets on each floor and not all rooms have showers which for the price is a complete joke!
You also have to pay £5 for a key deposit.
Upon booking over the phone my friend was told there was a bar - we asked about this when we arrived to be told 'no bar but there's an off licence next door'.
I think it's also worth pointing out that no breakfast is included and there are no tea/coffee making facilities!
The location of the hotel is not ideal - a taxi driver told us it was a bit of a s##t hole area. Taxi prices to and from the hotel varied from £3.50 to £15.00 - obviously the taxi drivers can spot the tourists so be cautious.
We had a good time in Newcastle but if we came back we would definitely book elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wolverhampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We came to the hotel for my friends 21st to go on a night out up Newcastle and my girlfriend had booked us here as we were on a budget. Little did we know that paying the price of £45 a night we could of been somewhere much better. We came into the hotel to be greeted by someone who looked like an ex heroin head or maybe still was one. We were given our room which was number 7 and had 2 double beds, a shower in the corner that didn't work and curtains littered in fag burns with "lol" designed from it. Aswell as this there was no heating and the room was so cold we could we our own breath. The area around the hotel was an absolute dive and the only reason why we stayed there was because we'd travelled too far to go back. I suggest if your ever brave enough to stay at this hotel you need to be intoxicated 24/7 because when we woke up in the room we felt nothing but disgusted. So beware

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Adam05073
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend wanted to stay in this hotel for somewhere to rest our heads after a night out. We thought we got a good deal for £20 a night, however id rather pay to not ever have to go back. First impressions on arrival were awful, the free car park is none existent and is actually a council pay and display car park over the road, I didn't want to get out of my car because it didn't feel safe and basically felt like a ghetto. After actually getting out the car, a 'local' in a hoodie started hurling abuse and my friend and I. When we eventually dragged ourselves into the hotel, the man on reception was genuinely lovely and welcoming. The room was a shed, it's only elements were a bed and a sink and there were also signs of damp. You could have a fag out the window in your rooms and you could also bring people back for £20 a head. If you're two young girls like myself and my friend I would definitely not recommend this hotel, however if there was a free car park and there were more of us I would have stayed here as you get what you pay for. Basically, safety in numbers and if you do unfortunately pick to stay here don't drive. Due to how unsafe myself my my friend felt, we chose to drive the 4 hour journey home rather than staying here. Despite this, the night life in Newcastle was amazing and you will definitely enjoy your night out.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tori1996
South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Defo recommend this hotel. Visited in November and going back for more in march!!! Staff were friendly and helpful- even made us a coffee on our return from a great night out! Gentleman on reception duty called us a taxi am gave us loads of club advice! Well worth the money if your looking for a fun place to stay

• Stayed November 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

well dont belive any of these reviews you read because belive me its a million times worse pure hole cant really put into words how bad it was the took £10 off us for deposit on room keys when we handed the room keys back next morning we were told sorry have no money in building if you can wait 30 minutes the boss will be here load of rubbish never came yet

Room Tip: dont stay here!!!!!