“Really good!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I took my brother and his girlfriend - fussy eaters from Edinburgh, to Pasqualino's for dinner and had a fantastic time, the menu was interesting, not too long and complicated but had something for everyone and the food was extremely good - and served by friendly, helpful staff. I went back for lunch with my 2 year old daughter a few days later and their kids menu is good too – fish cakes and proper pasta – no chicken nuggets!

All in all I would say it is definitely worth a visit, reasonably priced, good food and pleasant staff. There aren't that many good restaurants in Newcastle and this is definitely one of them.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Went for a pre-show evening meal.

Restaurant very cold and some diners complained and some heating (I think from over the door to the street) did take the chill off but still not particularly comfortable.

I ordered two large glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon at £5 each which was a bit steep and I wasn't convinced that there really was 175mls in them. The waitress bought some white by mistake! Another diner had received white instead of red!

The two course set meals were £15.50. Whilst the quality of the food was fine, the quantities were disappointing. My wife had chicken terrine which was large enough but with one small piece of overdone toast. The waiter realised that this was inadequate and brought another basket of brown and white bread (4 small slices) to replace the one we had already devoured with the oil and balsamic vinegar provided (no butter). (The menu suggested that bread was charged at £1.75 a bowl but no charges appeared on the bill.) The terrine was delicious, looking very chunky but surprisingly smooth.

I had the trout which was 3 or 4 thin slices with some small potatoes. Tasty but disappointingly small.

For mains, my wife had the pork chop on a bed of mash which was a decent size and I had the hake which was also adequate but not generous. (On a bed of spinach.) We ordered some chips as a side dish and again a disappointingly small bowl appeared (£3).

A bowl of vegetables would not have gone amiss!

Other diners nearby were complaining about various aspects of their food and drink but not sure what about although the waiter did say that the chef was the same as at Secco (I think that was the one he mentioned) and apologised for any failings.

Americanos were fine (£2) but no decaff which I find very odd for such an outlet.

The booking is done through the theatre box office and a deposit taken of £5 per person. The voucher for this has to be obtained from the box office before the meal.They tried to get me to book for 5.30 but I said this was too early for a 7.30 performance. We agreed on 6.00 and this was perfectly adequate finishing the meal and coffee at about 7.10.

Were it not for the discount for Friends of the Theatre Royal, this would have been a very expensive meal and it is unlikely we will return. There are plenty of food places near the Theatre offering far better value.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

we went to pasqualinos for my wifes birthday, we decided to taste what this restaurant had to offer. the arranchini was too cheesy due to too much parmesan, duck leg did not taste like duck!! believe it or not, i am one hundered percent sure that it was not fresh! i eat duck alot and i know that this duck was frozen on many occasions and used again!! for dessert my wife had truffels and madeleines and beignets , i understand that they are homemade but for a fine dining restaurant to serve rubbish like that it is unnecessary as our 9 year old daughter can make better fairy cakes! anyways overall this was a dissapointing meal and would not recommend it to anyone. specially with the staff not wearing proper uniforms and looking rather shabby.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

This galley sized eaterie is a new addition to the re-vamped Theatre Royal in Newcastle. I always try to start on a positive: the staff are very warm and welcoming.
I took my 83 yr old Mum who has mobility problems to eat in this place prior to seeing An Inspector Calls. Not a word of a lie the only food from a choice of 3 “arty *arty” mains was an “Artisan basket of bread.” Which when it arrived meant stale fingers of white and brown bread, oil no butter. We ordered a side of chips in goose fat of which there were 8 chips. I had a herb crust on a cabbage leaf (I’m allergic to mushrooms not their fault). My daughter had a circle of lamb, I’ve seen bigger scones.
As for the price do yourself a favour and treat 2 guests to front stall tickets at the theatre instead. 2 out of 3 of us arrived straight from work very hungry and thought
eating there would be ideal. 3 out of 3 of us left truly famished.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Dined here before going to see RSC at Theatre Royal.
Pre Booked online
Warm welcome friendly efficient staff - Interesting Menu - Good food - Quite small portions.
As the restaurant is part of the theatre you can walk straight through