“Great, wouldn't stay anywhere else in Newcastle”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I'm thankful to tripadvisor for helping me discover places like this. I was encouraged by the positive reviews and booked two stays of 6 and 5 nights having never seen the place, its been opened since I moved away. I wasn't disappointed, the staff are just as helpful and proffesional as other reviewers have said, the room and hotel public areas chic, modern and clean, breakfast was fab and even the parking OK. I'm about to return for my 5 night stay and looking forward to it. I understand this is the only Sandman in the UK, if they can keep up this standard I'm sure there will be more. I won't be staying anywhere else when in Newcastle!

Room Tip: The larger rooms are at the back of the hotel but are probably quieter too.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed by reception staff who allocated us parking, directly opposite the hotel (£8 per night) Tea and coffee are available in reception lounge as well as papers in the morning. We were offered assistance with our bags, always welcome when you have arms full of clothes on hangers too.
The room itself was well presented, tastefully decorated and comfortable. The shower had two settings, rainfall or shower head and kept a consistent temp with power behind it. There was a fridge with no pointless mini bar (who ever uses that?), a microwave, tv hairdryer, iron and a sensible sized kettle. Toiletries were good quality, plenty of towels and pillows. The venue is a 5 min walk from central Newcastle. The metro (St James) is dirctly opoosite the hotel making it easy to reach venues around the north east via metro.
Chinatown is next to the hotel with the old Newcastle City walls to the rear. St James football stadium (no-one in North East calls it Sports Direct!) is just across the road. In the evening the lounge has a relaxed but modern feel with a great bar next door (The Shark bar) with reasonably priced drinks. Nothing was too much for staff who were very approachable. When they knew we had to dress a wedding vanue, they allowed us to check in early which was very helpful given that they were full that day.
Check out at noon is a great idea as it gives a little more lie in time or simply the opportunity to look at the immediate area and shop. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Apply online for best rates and plan your evening to have a drink in the bar next door or in the lou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I accept that its a sign of advancing years that we find cities seem to have changed beyond recognition, if we haven't visited for some time. But Newcastle takes the biscuit! (and in a positive way, I'm glad to say)

I have to admit that its almost twenty years since I last stayed in Newcastle hotels, and it wasn't an experience to write home about. So when I find out that a business meeting has been booked for me in a Newcastle hotel, I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary (particularly with the business budget that I'm used to).

So against that backdrop, I find myself at the Sandman Signature Hotel. Not a chain of hotels that I'd heard of before, but with a slightly quirky name that left me with the impression of something oriental (whereas its heritage is Canadian).

So let me cut to the chase ....
- Great, friendly staff throughout.
- Amazing room
- Great bed (almost covered with pillows and bolsters), affording an unusually good night's sleep!
- Excellent breakfast (don't skip their Canadian cooked breakfast, I did but regretted it)

The only issue to warn you of it parking. Your in a city centre, so its always going to be a bit tricky. I opted for the local council covered parking, but the online payment process would test the patience of a saint)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I'll start with the positives: this place has amazing staff. They were all incredibly friendly and helpful, and they are the hotel's biggest asset. I really liked my room for the most part, and loved the hotel's restaurant/bar - the serving staff there were just as wonderful and the food was delicious.

So, the negatives. When I checked in, the room had a... slightly unpleasant odour. Without getting too graphic, it smelt as if someone had recently used the bathroom. I have a ridiculously sensitive sense of smell, so I figured it was just that. After all, I was checking in at around 8pm and there's no way the room hadn't been serviced or had been used recently at that time of night. I just turned on the air con for a few minutes to fix it.

I went down to the bar and spent three hours with my colleague eating and drinking. When I went back to my room at midnight and used the toilet for the first time, I realised there were (and I apologise in advance) splatters of fecal matter in the bowl. Either housekeeping hadn't cleaned the toilet properly, or someone had used the bathroom after it had been cleaned. Either way, ew. I thought about asking to change room but figured it was too late. Besides, the rest of the room was nice and clean, so I just put it down to a (rather unpleasant) oversight.

In addition to this little issue, neither bedside light worked and the safe was irritatingly rubbish. When I arrived it was locked already and staff had to come up to fix it (which took 25 minutes and two calls to reception, although they did apologise for that); when I went to unlock it before bed, it again refused to open and I had to call up reception for a second time to rescue my laptop.

I had a really good night's sleep, though, and that's what really matters at the end of the day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here with 18 other girls for a hen party - so you're probably now thinking it can't be that classy, but you'd be so wrong. This hotel has the wow factor as you walk in, probably the best hotel entrance/reception/lobby I've ever walked in, the decor is wonderful. The bar is really nice and well priced and as it was packed full of people watching the football the staff opened the VIP area for us. The staff throughout the hotel were really friendly. The room itself was for three people, the view was nothing to write home about but nice big windows. There were two TVs which was a bit bizarre as it was one big room, with a massive double bed, a sofa at the end of the bed (which was the third bed), and a breakfast bar and kitchen. The bathroom was just a shower, but was very clean (as was everything) and the shower was huge with an overhead and side head. The one person in our group who knew Newcastle did not agree it was walking distance to the centre and we had to get a taxi to the Quayside, so I've taken away one star for location but this would not put me off staying again, Newcastle isn't that big anyway!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank YorkshireChlo
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Recently was in Newcastle for business and meetings. I stayed here for 10 nights, and my room was great. Stayed in a king suite with LR and kitchen. Some colleagues came in later and stayed in the regular king rooms. Understand that these were very small. So, if you can upgrade - do it! I was fortunately upgraded upon arrival. The hotel is still under construction - floors 9 and 10 are still under construction. I was on floor 8, and just twice when I got back to my room before 5pm, you could hear some of the construction going on. But, at 5pm, it stopped and they did not begin until 9am in the morning. Floor 9 is to be completed by the end of June 2012 (this month). The restaurant was great and the breakfast was perfect each day. Only ate dinner here one time as there are many fabulous places within walking distance.
Only downside was their "gym." This is located on floor 1, and is in what appears to be a regular king room. There were two treadmills positioned right next to each other, a bike and a few weight. Fortunately, each time I used the gym, I was in their by myself. The TV is one the wall, so if you are on the treadmill (which I used), you faced the door, and had to listen to the TV. No worries, just plugged into my ipod! Most other days, the weather was perfect, so I just ran down to the Queyside and back. Way more enjoyable that being closed up in a small room!
Will also mention that Holly, manager of the restaurant, was very helpful and greeted us everyday, making sure we were having a good time; did we need anything, etc. Kudos to having Holly on board there as she is a great ambassador for your hotel!

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Excellent rooms and exceptional service. Clean modern and reasonably priced. Well set up for business traveller and highly recommended.

Downside is ability to get a taxi at peak times and parking but this is really a minor item

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business