“Can't fault it”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Recently stayed on a business trip. Excellent location being just five minutes from city centre. Although I have stayed in bigger rooms the room itself was well appointed with modern fittings. Excellent bed and bedding. One big plus is the free in-room wifi which very few hotels offer. Room service took around 15 minutes with a selective menu from the sports bar. Food was reasonably priced and of a high standard. Can't fault the hotel. Would highly recommend it and yes I will be staying again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Grahame,

Thanks for your fantastic review of the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle, it’s always great to know our guests leave happy with the intention of returning again in the future. We are delighted that you picked up on our free Wi-Fi, immediate proximity to the city centre and competitive room service offering. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Casts its self as luxurious , I don't think it is, it's better than a travel lodge but no better than any where else,BUT the staff do take comments seriously , unlike any other place I have stayed at, they try to help but seem hampered by process and management. The heaters in the rooms appear to be from a salvage yard. The parking is an issue as there not any, you have to use a council car park and then pay £8 for the pleasure, also the breakfast was so poor we left it and went elsewhere, bar staff friendly and reception staff excellent

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the blinds close fully, so you can have a lie in
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear jandch17,

I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy aspects of your recent stay with us however, heartened with the excellent rating which you attributed to our service. A member of senior management is always on duty 24 hours a day should guests have any concerns. Our excellent town centre location precludes our ability to have sufficient car parking for all 170 bedrooms, we do have a large volume of private bays within the St. James’ Metro station car park. I was disappointed to learn that you left breakfast without availing of same. I have examined in detail the duty management reports during the date range which I believe you may have stayed with us and unfortunately, cannot find any log of such instances. Thank you for your lovely words regarding the bar and reception staff I will be sure to pass on your compliments.

Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

This was my first time at the Sandman and I had wanted to stay for a while. The building is so impressive from the exterior and there is a bit of history behind it. The building used to Newcastle Breweries and was the original home if Newcastle Brown Ale.
The service at reception was very good we were checked in quickly and shown to our room. The rooms are very spacious and clean although they aren't finished to the high standard I had expected.
We took breakfast in the Shark Club downstairs which was very expensive. We had the facilities in our room so in future stays we would make our own.
Overall it is a beautiful hotel and we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Mr. Wilkinson

Many thanks for your lovely words regarding our hotel following your recent stay at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. Our breakfast charged at £11.95 per adult, when purchased in advance from our reception team, includes an array of pastries and breads, juice station, cereals coupled with full English breakfast and delicious Canadian pancakes with maple syrup. We are proud of our history particular our Scottish and Newcastle connections. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

When booking via phone i first talked to a member of staff that gave me one rate, said I would call back tomorrow and got accused lying when I called back with that first rate, I said I was going to look something up (time of call yesterday, as she didn't believe my rate and said " Anyone could say that" little did she realise that i had her on speaker phone and was very rude when talking to other staff, maybe she should of used the mute button, room was clean, quiet, bed was comfy, but overall staff maybe need to be trained to a higher standard, 3 stars, once again do not expect high standards as average but very good location to town and the football stadium.

Room Tip: get the studio flat, has a mini kitchen and living room if its a long stay it will come in handy and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Pldogs,

Thank you for feedback following your time with us at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. I was disappointed to learn of the reservation experience which you detailed. Perhaps you could call me directly at the hotel so that I can understand in more detail the points which you expressed in your review. I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Smith - General Manager

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Great location directly opposite St James Park and only five minutes walk to Eldon Square. A modern hotel with quirky decor. I was working in the City for a few days and staying here alone, so the fact that immediately I was made to feel welcome by the team was important to me. The room allocated was very nice, it wasn't a massive space but as I was solo I didn't mind, the bathroom was also a good size and I had a view over the stadium. I made my way downstairs after being in the room for about an hour and the reception team asked me if I was happy with everything so far. I had discovered a couple of little housekeeping issues with the room and as I was asked I decided to mention them to the receptionist, more so for feedback, I wasn't expecting any action to be taken. The receptionist apologised immediately, asked for my room number and offered to move me to another room, I said it wasn't necessary but she insisted emphasising their committment to ensuring guests were completely happy with everything. I was moved to one of the corporate studios, it had a little kitchen area, king size bed, 2 seater sofa and 2 TV's, I couldn't have been happier. As i was dining in the Shark bar that evening I was also offered a complimentary meal. This was by far over and above my expectations and Joe and team on reception could not have been more helpful. Just a note about The Shark bar, it is a very busy sports bar and quite male orientated. During my stay champions league football was on and it was impossible to get a table on those nights. If i was to make one suggestion it would be that this is mentioned at check in, just to make guests aware. Overall all the Geordie welcome and service was fantastic and I have already booked to return next month. Thank you for making my stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sonja,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with ourselves. We are always pleased when guests extend us an opportunity to rectify an issue which they might experience whilst in the hotel. Your commentary is a testament to the team’s ability to turn a small negative into a memorable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in March, we really appreciate your continued business.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

This Hotel has no pick up or drop off point (not sure why the muppets at city hall allowed it) therefore Taxis park on the main road blocking the traffic. As a result you regularly hear horns from your bedroom as cars try to get past. This situation is not very good and disturbs sleep with horns and lights flashing through the night. My room was pretty good though perhaps a little small. Shark club is nice a bit of like a Canadian version of Hooters except you have to eat breakfast there in the morning too!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Amanda N
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Amanda N,

We are very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay with ourselves at hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience which we may have caused you directly.

The hotel has a designated drop off and collection point with direct access to our main lobby and reception area which is chiefly used by all guests and taxi firms. Unfortunately, we are precluded in our ability to stop a small element of vehicles that elect to park outside the main entrance of the property. Our guest service porter regular advice parked and stationary vehicles of the aforementioned area to avoid situations as you detail.

I am pleased to learn that you found our Shark Club nice and our bedrooms pretty good. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed in the family room for a Saturday night break with our 2 boys (9 and 6). The room was fantastic, having the kitchen facility and the rooms partitioned. The boys loved the bunk beds and the fact that there were 3 TVs! The service provided and the friendliness of the staff was superb throughout the stay. Nothing was a problem and everyone had lovely welcoming smiles. We didn't use the restaurant at night, but the hotel's really central and easy walking distance to lots of different places and very close to China town. The buffet breakfast was second to none and there wasn't much that the boys didn't try. We'd love to come for a stay by ourselves, but would also highly recommend it to any families looking for a city hotel. Fantastic break.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Paul S, General Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Clare,

We are delighted that your family had a great time with us at the Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. Our family rooms with bunk beds, kitchen and separate bedroom for mum and dad are extremely popular. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay particularly our breakfast offering. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Paul Smith - General Manager