“Newish, but could do with some work”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
“Newish, but could do with some work”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

A very nicely laid out hotel, with great staff and I have stayed there more than 20 times over the last year. It is a recent build and, as a result, one would expect everything to be well thought out. It does seem however, that there has been little thought as to the placement of the aircon units, which are very noisy and, in all rooms I have occupied, are bang next to the bed. These can make for a disrupted sleep! Another little gripe is that the fittings are perhaps not of the highest quality, since some handles seem to be loose etc. Finally, the bar is great, but very noisy, so does not lend itself to working...not always complaining about that!

Notwithstanding my little gripes, the staff are so very polite and helpful that this more than makes up for any problemsss

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Mark P,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your previous stays, great to see you keep returning and its such feedback from loyal guests like yourself that ensure we can make a difference in the service that we provide.

I take into consideration your comments relating to the A/C we are in the process of having any unit issues rectified upon notification of a problem arising portable heaters are also available upon request from the Guest Services Team in the meantime for these issues being rectified.

I am sorry to learn that you feel the fittings are not to the highest quality please I apologise this has not been up to your standard.

Lovely to hear how you feel the staff are polite and helpful.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

As I walked up to the hotel I was already impressed by the location as its close to the shops resturants and clubs. When we arrived the staff were ok but looked like they didnt want to serve us as they were in the middle of a convo. The room was amazing and the view was great but there were afew wrappers from the person in the room before us. I would definatly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Carebearclare,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, I am shocked to learn of your welcome experience from the team this is certainly not something of the norm I shall look into this further. Please accept my apologies should this have made you feel uncomfortable or disheartened in anyway as this is certainly not what we pride ourselves upon.

Great to hear how you were impressed by the location, room and view I will pick up your comment regarding the wrappers on the floor with The Executive Housekeeper.

Thanks again,
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Lovely hotel, good location and very pleasant staff. Stayed here in march 2013 as I was going to see olly murs at the metro radio arena, was within walking distance and very close to all Newcastle main attractions. Rooms were lovely and very clean. Staff were lovely and helpful

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank J L
Dear J L,

Many thanks for leaving such a great review of your recent stay at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle.

So nice to read such great feedback – we hope you enjoyed Olly Murs!!
Hope to see you back again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Only stayed for one night but if I could of stayed longer I would of , friendly reception with a pleasant manner nice tidy rooms,well located to town centre and Newcastle football club overall a very good stay at a very nice hotel

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Kevf1972,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle.

Great to hear how you would have liked to have stayed longer ….. well we certainly wouldn’t have minded either!!
Sounds like you had a great time I am very glad to hear it thanks you again for your lovely feedback.

Hope to see you back soon!
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

As avid Newcastle United fans we pass the hotel every time we go to St. James' Park and it looks pretty good from the outside but for the moment we arrived for an overnight stay things just kept niggling. First there is no parking bay outside so you have to stop the car in mid- traffic to the frustration of commuters. The lobby is modern and quirky but our "king" room was very small having the obge sideways to get in one side of the bed. The air conditioning was so loud I had to turn it off at the wall to get some sleep, the shelf under the sink in the bathroom fell away, the tap came off in my hand and the shower in the morning was at best tepid. Breakfast is served in the bar next door which has that boozy smell and feel. We had to ask for cutlery and glasses and wait for a number of the elements of the buffet breakfast to be refreshed. The only saving grace is the location and perhaps the cleanliness of the rooms. 1 night was more than enough.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Passepartout1530
Dear Passepartout1530,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We view all feedback be it complimentary or critical as crucial to enhancing our commitment to customer service and hospitality.

At the rear of the hotel there is a designated drop off and pick up point designed for all arrivals or departures to come to and check in, then reception team can direct and assist with an overnight parking space located only across the street from the front entrance.

I am sorry to hear how things kept niggling from the moment you arrived I can assure you that is certainly not what we wish for you to experience please accept my sincere apologies for the items you mention above I shall investigate further into these maintenance issues and rectify where necessary.

I only hope that you will come back and have a more pleasurable experience.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Went to Newcastle on a work overnighter at short notice. Swung a "Junior Suite" at late notice just within budget.

Reception was speedy and friendly. The decor in the communal areas is really modern and swish.

My room was the real highlight though - a separate living and kitchen area, big bedroom with comfy double bed and an ultra-modern bathroom. This would be an ideal place to base yourself if working away for a long period as I often do. The sofa is actually comfortable unlike most others in hotels that I have tried and the modern kitchen equipped for you to be able to actually cook a decent meal for yourself.

The bed area was super comfy and I was really impressed by the whole set up. Staff were excellent throughout.

I ordered room service to eat - the chicken burger was sublime!

My only downer was the bar - it's a sort of "Hooters" style place with barmaids flaunting it all over the place, screens everywhere and subdued lighting almost like a club. Fine for a stag-do or night out in a big group, but not really ideal for a quiet drink and a bite to eat. I can see why this is popular opposite St James' Park but not to my personal taste.

That said, I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travellers and weekends away.

Room Tip: Junior suites have sofa area and kitchen.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hushmore
Dear Hushmore,

‘Great Review’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle, Its great to read of how an unplanned overnight stay turned into a gem of a find for you!
And what a fantastic way to spend your first stay with us in a Junior Suite it really is like a Home from Home experience, the beds are certainly super comfy!!

It’s great to hear how impressed you were from the décor to the team they are certainly very appreciative of your kind comments.

The Shark Club Gastro Bar is one of a kind in Newcastle bringing Canadian table service into the North East this style very much reflects our Canadian roots whilst incorporating our location in proximity to St James Park Football Club. Although not to everyone’s taste it’s great to hear that you ordered room service from Shark Club and describe it as sublime! I shall pass this comment onto the chef.

We hope to see you back in the future!

Many thanks,
Mombasa
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The Sandman is in a fantastic location - within walking distance to everything I needed. Its a shame the parking is 'complicated' across the road - £8 a day in the hotel spaces or feeding a meter £1.30 an hour in the council spaces .. but I suppose thats the problem with city centre locations. The staff were very friendly and helpful so I will forgive the fact that there were no toilet rolls when we arrived in our rather small but very clean, comfortable room. It was nice to see a modern 'slit' drainage system working to perfection in the shower rather than making the whole floor wet! And best of all not a peep from any stag/hen revellers (except the Saturday night sirens reminding you whats going on in Newcastle elsewhere) I suppose its something to do with the higher prices, but I like to think its also the good management of the hotel! Very enjoyable 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Choose higher rooms on a Saturday night
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tropicalb
Dear Tropicalb,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay, glad you found our location fantastic and found the time to explore our amazing city! I am sorry to hear that you found the car parking complicated and had a small issue of no toilet roll upon arrival I trust this would have been dealt with immediately upon notification to the front desk. I am thrilled to hear that you found the team very friendly and helpful its ‘Geordie Hospitality’ that can really make a good impression.

Many thanks for your feedback we really appreciate it!