“Something different”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Houston, Texas
“Something different”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Booked one night through a special offer website so not too expensive. An excellent experience over all. Reception was friendly and efficient and we managed to get one of the parking spaces across the road. Our room was very nice and the air conditioning was a welcome bonus in the warm weather. The apartment style with a separate bedroom, living room and kitchen area is unusual in this country but a nice change. If you were looking to economise, the limited kitchen facilities would allow some basic self catering. The giant walk in shower with rain shower was very luxurious. Breakfast is an all you want buffet and very tasty. The one small problem was with the room safe. There were no instructions and the safe was locked when we arrived. The customer service manager came and unlocked it and gave me some instructions but as soon as she left I managed to lock myself out of it again straight away! I have used hotel room safes dozens of times so I think it's fair to say that these ones are not user friendly. I talked with the customer service manager about it the next morning and she acknowledged that this was a bit of an issue but that she is working on getting some proper instructions posted in the rooms. In the short term if you want to use the safe I would recommend checking it out as soon as you arrive and make sure you are familiar with how to operate it before you are in a hurry. All in all, the safe thing was a very small issue in what was a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Houston
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Very nice staff – helpful with dinner reservations, taxies, suggestions. Was a bit hard to get to by car with construction and lack of signs. Room has a fridge, microwave and tea kettle. Small as is typical. Bathroom was a typical European style (i.e., SMALL) with an open shower that (which also seems to be typical of European bathrooms) sprays water all over.

Room Tip: Book in advance for great deals.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I asked the staff at the hotel, before arriving, to fix any problems with standing water in a walk in shower I had read about . They did .It was fine and they are fixing all in the hotel . We had a junior suite which had luxuries our home did not have . Cleaning service brilliant . I had a problem and needed to get to an internett cafe . But was given free use of one of receptions computers to sort things out . Friendly staff who I felt were naturally friendly . Great location for the centre of town without the noise. Great location for shops , restaurants and buses . Stylishly decorated throughout .

Room Tip: We had a junior suite but for exactly the same price you can upgrade
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Karlovac, Croatia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Well, in the first two day it was excellent - more or less, but then started the problems - the first one was the coffee machine. We were a youth group learning about other cultures, etc. So, every morning there were 15-20 people more than usually at the coffee machine. Next morning - the coffee machine is broken! Only a sign that it doesn't work so we don't use it. We tried to use it after all - and it worked! Then there were like 15 people in one room - of course, we are young, we all know each other so we wanted to spend some time in the evening. For 35 guests we were too loud (?) How? There is no possible way because there are at most 15 rooms per floor. The hotel manager decided to kick us out of the hotel, but not everybody, just the ones who were in the problematic rooms, eve thought there were 15 more people in it. So, what happened - we sang, danced, and suddenly one of the receptionists appeared one our door. Everyone went silent and there were no noises after. In the morning, the manager said that the receptionist went three times into the room and reminded us to be silent. We said that that was not the truth and the manager replied with a strong voice, yelling at his customers, putting some strong accusations and saying unbelievable words. He threw us out, even thought there were underaged persons there. That was against the law, but he didn't mind to put a minor on the street. A girl with manifestly islamic religion signs on her wanted to say something - he was acting like she wasn't there! Three persons with an another skin color experienced an enormous amount of racism, looking at them like they were not humans, rarely talking with them like they were stupid, etc. But when there were some british drunk guys at 3am in the lobby they smiled with them, talked with them even thought they were more loud than anybody in the previous week. Of course, one guy wasn't wearing his shirt. Running threw the lobby space yelling and singing. SOME THINGS FROM OUR ROOMS JUST VANISHED! They kept accusing us for any bad thing that happened, like some vomit in the front of the hotel which wasn't ours because we were at some other place the whole night, they accused us for some garbage on the street, for improperly behavior, and the looks every time we passed threw the lobby were like they would kill you anytime. Literally. No swimming pool, no restaurant, no anything. Just rooms. With surveillance. Please try to avoid this hotel.
We were afraid for our lives and for the future events.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Matej K
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

This is a stylish city centre hotel. The reception has a boutique hotel feel and the staff (all local which in itself is novel in the hotel industry these days) were all welcoming, genuine, friendly and helpful. I stayed in a junior suite for a short break to Newcastle. It really does have everything you need - including 3 tellys! A spot light for the desk might have been useful and an adaptor to plug in the two-pin standard lamp in the lounge area.

Having the kitchen was great as I was effectively able to self cater. I did feel guilty about having to leave washing up for someone else (no w/up liquid) but maybe that's the point of it being an hotel.

There is a small gym with the usual equipment. Shame there was no pool. The hotel is ideally situated to walk into Newcastle's centre and of course for football stadium. I drove to this hotel and was relieved at how easy it was to find and having had some anxiety about the first-come-first-served to actually get a parking bay. Mind you, I didn't dare leave it just in case!

I think this is a real find and would both happily stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel looks fantastic but having had a couple of days there last week, I would not recommend the service. I left feedback on their website and got a message saying they were investigating and would get back to me. They haven't,

I told them that on checking in I wasn't given info re breakfast or offered any help with my numerous bags. The next day I returned at 16.45 and breakfast plates were still in the room. The fridge didn't work and the sink hadn't been cleaned. The next day breakfast wasnt delivered. eventually someone came to the room saying my phone was on private and they were out of bagels. my new order arrived ten minutes later, without the tea from the original order. all this delay meant a very rushed breakfast.On checkout I wasn't asked how my stay was or if I ended help re my onward journey. The focus was only on settling my incidentals bill.

On the up side, the food was good and the Reservations Manager was very helpful re printing some documents I needed.

This hotel is fine if you want somewhere comfy to crash, their bar seems to attract a young clientele. If you need service that caters for you as an individual, the Premier Inn where I stayed the next night, would be a better bet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SharonD1964
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear SharonD1964,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay, we received email feedback through our central offices, which I have personally responded to please accept my apologies if this did not reach you.

If you wish to discuss this in more detail with myself please feel free to contact myself directly at the hotel where I would be more than happy to discuss further.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay! A group of us came from Glasgow to go to the races, for ladies day, we arrived early, around 11 o'clock and all of our rooms were ready for us, so we were all very impressed. From the moment we entered the hotel we were stunned by the decor. Our room was great, looked onto the football stadium, and the entrance to china town. Room itself was a good size and ideal for the night, bed was really comfy ( best sleep ive had in a while) and the air con great with the weather we have been having. Only criticism was that you could hear some noise from the main road and the room next to us getting a shower in the morning but you expect some noise when in a hotel. Overall great stay and not a rumble of a complaint from anyone in our group about the hotel and all loved the shower/wet room although some of the older men were confused because there was no door to the shower. Will deffo come back next time i am in town with it being very close to the city centre and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Newcastle.

Thanx for a great experience,

A very happy Scottish woman.

• Stayed July 2013