“I pulled the short straw - average at best”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 28 November 2013

this was booked as a weekend away with the missus, as we had no kids. We decided to basically have a weekend of luxury and the Sandeman looked ideal, I would usually go for the Hilton but the location topped all other hotels and the website showed promise.

The location was perfect as we were going to the football on the Saturday but would spend the rest of the time, making the most of not having the kids and being in glorious Newcastle.

I also booked a Suite, thinking it was a proper treat for the missus.

On arrival I was greeted by what appeared to be most of the kitchen staff outside, in their 'whites' smoking. clearly still on shift. firstly, I am a smoker, but secondly...customers don't want to see the chef(s) smoking and spitting(outside the fire exit of the kitchen), especially in what is supposed to be a top of the range hotel, the best in Newcastle.

so we checks in. The staff are massively friendly and helpful, just like all Jordies. Loved the decor of recp. We are promptly served and given a key to our Suite.

First impressions of the suite were that it was small, very small. There was a random wall dividing each room, that made the 'living area' like sitting in the front row of the cinema, assuming you wanted to sit and either look at the wall or watch the TV (please see pictures).

the next thing I noticed was that the room had not been finished...it appeared as if Bob and Mick decorators had literally wheeled their trolley out of the suite as I was on my way up in the lift.

There was no sealant around the shower head, there was plaster all over the window frame and the window sill, the ceiling appeared not to be skimmed or finished, the pillar between the windows had been skimmed but not finished. the Lock on the door to the bathroom was definitely put on by a blindman because (please look at the picture) it latched into nothing but a hole, therefore locked nothing. the glass doors were disgusting, definitely never cleaned by room service. Looked like blood up the doors. the head board was erm...sticky with sticky hand prints...clearly enjoyed by the last tennents.

There was grime all around the basin of the show, which was pretty nasty TBH.
Don't get me wrong I am no prude but the money that was spent on a suite in a 5 star hotel as a treat for me and the missus-I expect to at least can room better than Delboys.

there was a room next door that was being cleaned so I was nosey and peeked in, it turns out the ceilings are pretty similar (not complete) however, the room layout was alot better, no random walls. I did not have a chance to snag the paintwork mind you.

I spoke to reception about the above who said they would check and come back to me, so we went about our business.

That night we went back to the room and sat pondering food for 20 minutes (room service). Eventually decided on some food and called down, to be told that what we were ordering was on the old menu....!!!! they would send a new menu up. 25 minutes later it arrived....it was different....we spent another 15 minutes pondering what to eat when eventually made our mind up and placed an order...pizza ...as the exotic menu that had previously was no more. so 2hrs after we decided to eat in the room, we had food....I was tired.

another small thing is the wifi, during our time there, on the first day, I used the details provided on the card to try and connect to the wifi. Im not one to bother people and im far from daft so I tried everything, restarting phone, different combinations etc...eventually I called down to be told...oh the details you are using (printed on the card) are wrong...............

and another small thing. A sign that says...save water, use your towels again.
I tried to shower in the morning and the water was ice cold. I called down just to use the phone really...and was told..leave it running for 10-15 minutes and you should notice it getting warmer, if not you can use another rooms shower. cheers.

the following morning I had a note through the door advising that the room had been inspected and they agreed the suite was not up to standard at all. (I'm glad I weren't going mad). the note also said they would offer free breakfast for both mornings and deduct £90 from the bill (£90 is a snip compared to the suite price this paticuler weekend (Chelsea FC were in town).

One other thing I forgot to mention, to get into bed you had to navigate the large aircon unit on the floor...between the bed and the wall...almost like it was placed there because it quite literally was the only floorspace left in that part of the room and bob and mick said "we forgot the aircon"
As I advised to the reception, with thanks, I had not ordered breakfast for a reason as we had plans to meet friends and be out, therefore would be wasted.

in short, I am sincerely disappointed with this hotel and would ensure that should you decide to book in here that you not be as keen as eager as I was

PS: I cannot fault the staff in the hotel 1 bit, and the staff in the bar made it fuzzy enough that I forgot until the end of my train journey home

Room Tip: dont unpack..going by the bar\the reception Im sure they have finished rooms....just check first. or...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for a friends 40th birthday recently whilst visiting Newcastle, arrived earlier than anticipated was greeted by a very helpful receptionist – she said our room was ready which was great as after a 2 hour drive I didn’t fancy dragging our bags around for another hour. Another plus point she was more than happy to allocate myself and all my friends on same floors as we just arrived when she was doing the room allocation, which was very kind of her. We parked at the drop off point at the back where we were told we were ok for approx. 20 mins to allow to unpack bags and time to check in and then we were directed by the concierge to a car park which was over the road (although round the one way system) where the hotel had allotted spaces at an additional £8.

The reception area, very modern and lovely décor, complimentary drinks machine which was great.

Rooms themselves very nice and modern although not very big especially for the nightly rate and no proper place to hang clothes – just a 4 pegs on the wall which as I do not travel very light was unimpressed by.

We enjoyed a visit to the Sharks Bar in the afternoon and had quite a few drinks there – average prices. Great atmosphere.

In our group total booking 7 rooms and paying £119 each most of which included breakfast with the exception of my friend who for some reason didn’t book it on and paid separately – this was charged at £15.95 per person and didn’t even include a drink which I thought was quite extortionate as the breakfast was pretty mediocre.

All in all and enjoyable stay but I have stayed in nicer hotels in other cities for same or less money and found them better value for money particularly size of the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Very friendly and professional staff. The rooms are small but clean and offer all comfort. I personally found the room not enough soundproof against the noise coming from the street and the hallway. The breakfast buffet is offering a variety of choice. The signal of the free wifi in the room is weak.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Me and my husband stayed for our wedding anniversary and his birthday we are now excited to be going back everything was perfect the room had an amazing view of st james park which is perfect for a newcastle supporter

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel, friendly & helpful staff. Parking is poor - had to park in a city multi-storey, but not too expensive.
Great location if you're visiting St James Park.
I stayed in a suite - not spacious but very well equipped with 3 TVs, small kitchen and a lovely bathroom & shower.
I'd stay again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the sandman on a Friday and Saturday night whilst taking in the match,.greeted warmly on arrival and even though three hours early for check in we're found a room immediately which saved lugging bags around,.room was immaculate and had a great view over st james park,.had lunch and drinks in the adjoining bar even if the food was not fine dining the service and welcome more than made up for it,.cant fault the hotel at all,.only slight niggle was a bit of noise on the Saturday night from returning guests but what do u expect if you stay on a match day,.cant wait to return and will always stay at the sandman when in newcastle

• Stayed: November 2013
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hi Shaun T,

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle. The whole team were very proud to read your review and we cannot wait to have you stay with us again soon.
Kind regards,

Kelly Murray

Front office Manager

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The check in and out we're really quick, with warm and efficient service from staff. My room was comfortable and stylishly decorated, but the room size was compact. A novel touch of class was the free drink machine in reception - really convenient for grabbing a tasty drink before going to your room.

Unfortunately breakfast was a shambles. Located in a bar the buffet wasn't what you'd expect from a hotel positioning itself near the top end of the market. The quality of ingredients was average, and the poached eggs I requested arrived long after I'd eaten my breakfast. Service was slow to the point where the empty orange juice dispenser wasn't refilled. This could have been a much better experience.

No intention to revisit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Adrian A,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to learn of the issues you have mentioned regarding your breakfast experience, however I feel this is not a true reflection of the high service we usually provide to our guests.

I would love for you to come back and give us another chance so we can show you why we are amongst the top 10 hotels in the city, please feel free to e-mail us or check out our website for our great offers.
Kind regards,