“Filthy bedrooms - would not return”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Filthy bedrooms - would not return”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I checked into the hotel after work on New Year's Eve with my boyfriend. Upon check in the staff on reception were absolutely fantastic and extremely polite so I can not complain at all about the service. When we went into our room the room felt small cold and dark. I unpacked my bags and went to the bathroom to shower to find urine all over the loo seat, half used toiletries from pervious guests, hairs in the shower and a dirty floor. I called down to reception to ask if we could move rooms, again the reception team were fantastic and came to our room with a key card for the new room. When we walked into the second room it was even smaller, I was told it was a partially accessible room. Instead of wardrobes there were hooks on the wall and the room lacked comfort. There were stains on the walls, the carpet was a good inch too short for the floor so we could see the concrete floor, the tea and coffee making facilities has old food on the spoon. Not wanting to waste any more time as I was now running late to meet friends I decided to just get on with it. I had a sower which was cold!!!! When I got out the shower I was very upset by this point so called down to reception again. As I complained to the lady on reception I noticed a blob of dried food on the phone and at this point I knew I had to check out. I advised the lady that I would be in reception in 15 minutes to check out. When we did check out we were refunded out full room payment of £185. The rooms are I impressive and filthy but the service was great. I would not recommend this hotel to any friends and colleagues as I think there are much nicer hotels in newcastle!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ILoveFood917
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hi ILoveFood917,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is through genuine feedback like this that helps us succeed in our mission to deliver an outstanding service to our guests, I am very sorry to learn of the issues you have raised however I do feel that every attempt to rectify your issue had been made while you were in our hotel and I can only apologise again that our resolution was still not to your satisfaction.

I am sorry to learn that you would not stay with us again as I do feel that you did not receive a true reflection of the service we provide to the majority of our guests. I would be very grateful for you to give us another try and would like assist you personally on your next stay should you choose to stay with us again. Please e-mail me directly and let me know the date of any future bookings you wish to make.

gsm_newcastle@sandmanhotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We recently stayed in the Sandman Signature as we were staying in Newcastle to see Family.

We had a Junior Suite, which was very small, but it was fine.

A couple of small criticisms include the fact that in this small space there were 3 TV's (complete overkill considering the size of the room - which was very small) and extremely limited lighting (there was 1 light in the main bedroom, which was the bedside lamp, and then a lamp with a US plug in the small area by the small sofa - ).

Good points: Very good location; Quiet room; good freeview channels; good bathroom and mini kitchen area.

We'd go back.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is small...beware.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barrie M
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Hi Barrie M,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Kendal
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Staying here two nights for New Year and Birthday celebrations at this lovely hotel. I have stayed here four times now and cannot fault it. The rooms and decor are nice and the staff so helpful and friendly. Only had breakfast and drinks in the Shark Bar but the food looked good. Would definitely recommend this Hotel to friends and family.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi LisaS_7,

Thank you for your great review regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle. I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations and can’t wait to see you for a 5th visit!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed here with friends recently and I must say the hotel is really lovely. Great location, lovely staff, not too impressed by the bar to be honest, no where to sit for a quiet catch up drink with friends but other than that couldn't fault it...... Breakfasts expensive to be fair but I would definitely stay there again.. xx

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Essexdeb1
Hi Essexdeb1,

Thank you for giving us your ‘lovely’ feedback about your recent stay with us. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here on business, good hotel that is in a great location for the city centre. Avoid the hotel bar, waitresses are quite rude and I felt pressured into leaving a tip for poor service. Think her name was Jennifer.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Halls1978
Hi Halls1978,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that you felt the service in the bar was not as you expected, please don’t let this put you off any future stays with us as we would all love to see you stay with us again. I will be raising your issue with our food and beverage manager to avoid any future issues of a similar manner.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Beautiful hotel, caring staff and clean rooms. Bang in the city centre, 5 minutes walk from the night life yet not noisy at all! Eldon Sqaure is around 10 minutes walk. Shark Gastro Bar underneath-superb!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi natashaaaaaaaat,

Thank you very much for your amazingly positive review regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle. Please come back and see us again soon!

Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing really wrong with this hotel. The staff are very well trained and helpful and the central location is fine. But...I couldn't help but feel there was a bit too much style going on rather than concentrating on the longer term success of the hotel. That said it is across the road from St James's (Newcastle United's ground) so assured of a regular clientele.
We had a king suite. The room was fine but... the fittings looked good but weren't. The heating/air con was in the bedroom approx 10" from the bed so the bedroom was either boiling or cold and the seating area the opposite. A redeeming feature, however, was that the windows opened so you could get some fresh air.
Breakfast was the usual corporate buffet style - though they ran out of eggs and plates.
All that said, it is quite reasonably priced.
Fine if you're not as fussy as me!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the balcony option as the view isn't worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul F
Hi Paul F,

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. All feedback is very important to us and we certainly take it seriously, we will discuss your comments in our team meetings and use this to better the service we provide at our hotel.

Thanks again,