“Top Rate”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed with work whilst running an event at st. James park, location is great, reception staff were very welcoming and organised, rooms were also good, not to big but very stylish, dinner in the shark bar was also quality, good food and cold beer served with a smile. Overall a great experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Liam R, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hi Neil H,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel. We are simply delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again very soon.

Front office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed for two nights on business. Room was small but had everything I needed. Biggest issue was the lack of sleep due to the noise. First night disturbed in the early hours by drunk revellers in the hotel corridor, second night by the noise of the traffic outside, which I appreciate the hotel can do little about.
All the ladies on reception were lovely, friendly and helpful. Did not eat so cannot comment on the food.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Liam R, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hi redharvey64_10,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the noise issues you had, I know a lot of guests may feel like they don’t want to make a fuss by calling reception regarding an issue during their stay , however we really do appreciate all feedback from our guests here. I am sure if you had let us know of the noise from other guests during your stay then our night team would have certainly investigated that for you. I do hope this does not put you off any future stays with us.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great location for the city centre and china town. Rooms quite small but very nicely furnished. But we did go for the cheapest standard room so if space is an issue they do have larger rooms. Comfortable bed and very powerful shower everything you need even things like a microwave which not sure why you would need a microwave. Staff very good and friendly.
I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Gillandmikesmith,

Thank you for your great feedback, we couldn't put it better ourselves! Why not check out our website for our great offers for your next stay?

Reviewed 10 February 2014

there was eight of us stayed here on a Saturday and sunday night for my sisters hen party, and we were totally impressed with this hotel from the minute we stepped through the doors! The staff are brilliant, they are so friendly and cannot do enough to help you....the rooms were class for us, were extremely clean and temperature of rooms were perfect....location is totally perfect right across the road from st james park metro stop, and within walking distance of everything...next time im back in Newcastle il be staying here! Thanks to all the staff at the Sandman for making our trip so enjoyable :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi MissSheenak,

You’re very welcome :) Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel. We are all so happy to learn you and your girls enjoyed your weekend and we would love to have you all back again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

10 minutes walk slightly uphill from the train station, I was met with a polite chatty receptionist who promptly checked me in. Room is a little compact but is nicely decorated, has flat screen TV, comfy bed so I slept well. Heater in my room was situated opposite the end of my bed, so I could warm my feet at night ! Room has a safe and microwave, bathroom is good sized with no bath. Dinner was tasty, each night there are specials in the Shark Gastro Bar and I was met by a very friendly waitress. On Wednesday night I was promised it would be busy and so it was ! There were no seats available. I can understand that the Shark Bar is not to everyone's liking but it makes a pleasant change from the usual. It certainly didn't bother me. The hotel is opposite St James Park so location was perfect and its an easy walk to the city centre from here. There is free wifi and it worked well.

I didn't have breakfast as I felt the charge was too high (14 GBP) if I remember correctly and there was a bit of road noise in my room. The gym is a bit small only a few pieces of equipment so it could get busy very quickly.

All being said, I would stay here again and agree with other contributors that the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hi SkiKing01,

Thank you very much for your great feedback! We would love to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

shame about the footie result and the car breaking down BUT the hotel and the night out on the 'toon' was great! Reception were super friendly and even helped with the RAC call-out, The Sharkbar was lively and the food was very good. Easy walking distance to city centre with plenty going on there too. Room was fine...it was a twin with me and a pal sharing. Not sure about the need for a full kitchen (!) in the room but I suppose that some would find it useful. Shower/wet room is a great idea but water ended up all over the floor? Parking is £8 and you need to go to the St.James METRO car park as hotel doesn't have one. Beds comfy. No SKY on TV but plenty downstairs in the bar. Free WIFI which is always welcome. Not sure about a gym...didn't see one? All in all a hotel to recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi AndySING73,

Thank you for your feedback, we do have allocated car park spaces situated just across the road from the hotel. There is also a gym on the 11th floor of the hotel, I do hope you get to take full advantage of this during your next stay with us ;)

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The good points: brilliant, friendly staff. When I found my room was opposite a noisy family, they found me another, quieter one within minutes. The location is great, right opposite St James's Park. I slept well. The less good points: the breakfast was mediocre; the rooms are "compact" and a bit too designery for my liking, which meant any noise outside the door was noticeable; the lower floors get a lot of traffic noise. But the biggest (and weirdest) issue I had was that the Shark bar, where you have breakfast, was slightly reminiscent of a lapdancing club. Large posters of the "hottest waitress", and a noticable number of very attractive staff in very short skirts in the evening was not just a bit strange, it was (for me) pretty offensive. I count myself as a red-blooded male, footy fan etc etc, but why would I want this in my hotel? For the wonderful reception staff to have to work alongside this is just a bit embarrassing. No doubt "real men" guests appreciated it, or I'm just missing the irony...

Room Tip: Get as high up as you can, or face traffic noise.