“Really nice , Perfect location , no hot water”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was there back in February , I had previously stayed here before and didn't really have any problems apart from being checked in "5 minutes late" which I had absolutely no problem with yet they offered me a bottle of champagne . I was in no rush , it was a very nice touch . Its just ashame that when I went back , we had no hot water for the whole weekend , I had to phone reception so many times before any action was ever taken , when finally after 2 days a letter was put under our door saying it wouldn't be fixed till we leaved on the Monday due to them needing a part ordered . They offered us an alternative of going across Newcastle to a gym in the mornings and evenings to use there showers. Which wasn't really an option for me. As I checked out I was not offered anything in compensation I was just asked " was everything okay with your stay" , I don't like to say these kind of things but I couldn't resist I said no it wasn't due to the water situation, she then refunded one of my days which was better than nothing. Nice hotel not there fault but certainly spoilt my weekend,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hi Andre r

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay here with us.

Apologies on the fact that you had no hot water during your stay, as I recall this was at the beginning of the year and this has now been resolved with two brand new tanks and this problem has not happened again.

I'm glad that you got a partial refund for the inconvenience, again apologies for the issue that you had and we do hope that you stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend went to stay in this hotel for 2 nights with a buyagift.com voucher. It's got an ideal location, all the reception staff were very friendly and helpful! The room and bathroom were lovely and the whole atmosphere of the place was good. I highly recommend this hotel however the only downsides were that the water in the shower was only ever lukewarm and the room was a little bit to small but otherwise brilliant

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jack B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us!

We are very lucky to have such an amazing team of receptionists here at the Sandman and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments forward!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

One word fantastic but i have to give reasons.
hotel great ,service great,room great and the staff fantastic what more do you need to know.
hotel standard was established exceptional only bad thing was Newcastle where beaten was why stayed at hotel.
Hotel set a great standard in all areas for others to follow

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank didds1963

Hi didds1963

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel! So glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us! Sorry about the score of the football!

Next season you can come back and hopefully we can win next time!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very nice modern hotel, located just next to the football stadium (something to be aware of on Saturdays if Newcastle are playing at home). Nice central location, but no underground car park (one available across the street that is half public/ half available to hotel guests at £8 per day).
Amazing reception area, very classy and modern design. Excellent 24 hours service available, nice bedrooms with tea making facilities but lacking attention to detail in terms of expectations from a 'posh hotel' (shelf tilted in the bathroom so things slide off gradually, very noisy heater, had to wait 5 minutes for hot water to come in the morning to shower, biscuits not replenished next day etc.)
Would recommend, but not if you are a perfectionist.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi MaiaM256

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on your recent stay here at the Sandman hotel.

We have such a central location to the city centre and it is brilliant if you are a football fan! Our reception area is pretty spectacular and always catches peoples eyes!

Our bedroom facilities are handy as well for making a nice cup of tea and we can always replenish as many biscuits as you like! Reception will always be happy to help.

We hope that you can stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at this hotel last night as we were attending a function at St James Park, this was a treat as we live local but as it's nearly his birthday I wanted to book the hotel as a surprise for his birthday. I booked it several weeks ago and requested a room on the higher floors with a view of St James Park. We got just that, the room was lovely although small, very clean and well presented, the gentleman on the desk wished my fiancé happy birthday for when it arrived and was very friendly. To our surprise there was a complimentary bottle of champagne chilling in ice in the room as a birthday wish from the hotel which we were over the moon at. We both would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again - thank you to all at The Sandman Hotel for making our visit an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking St James Park have a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Helen C

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us. I am so glad to hear that your fiancé had a lovely birthday and that we were able to give him a surprise!

We would love to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at sandman signature. The reception team are fantastic, a real asset to the company. Always pleasant and welcoming. Excellent work from a great team. Myself and my friends really enjoyed our stay. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2014
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hi Steviewonderboy

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment on your fantastic stay.

It is so nice to hear such lovely feedback on our staff members, I'm so happy that they made your stay so special! I will pass these lovely comments on. All of our staff members are so passionate about their customers and making sure that they have a brilliant stay!

We would love to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We booked to stay as a large group for a weekend away .

Location is literally across the road from the football ground, 3 min walk from tiger tiger bar area and 5/10 mins to the shops! Perfect!

The booking process was very simple and all rooms were put on the same floor. Check in was quick and simple and the staff were LOVELY. :)

First impressions of the hotel are fab the main reception area is so stylish yet inviting!!!Great free hot drinks machine in the reception!

I had booked a room for 3 adults however there was two of everything ( common problem in hotels I find) but this was quickly rectified.

Room included a microwave, toaster hob with all pans etc that were needed should you want to cook - we didnt-.Main advantage was the fridge freezer as it meant we could store all the drinks :) & Ice machine and ice buckets were available.

Due to it being a room for 3 adults we had a double bed and a sofa bed. I have to agree with others the sofa bed was not very comfy :( i tired the actual beds which were bliss but il be honest and say i struggled to get a good night sleep on the springs! Also due to the sofa bed we had no room to move about and getting to the desk meant climbing over the bed. I know we could have packed the bed away but it was a hassle to get it out again in the early hours when we returned to sleep

The main problem was the lack of privacy with the bathroom. The bathroom door is a frosted glass sliding door which sits right by the head of the bed so if someone is in bed or sitting on the bed they can see/hear when you are in the bathroom which is just not ideal at all. All of the girls mentioned how off putting this was..... Also, the door didnt seal shut -1cm gap between the door and the wall- so you can see straight into the bathroom from the room....

We had drinks in the shark bar and the cocktails although a tad expensive were lovely. again the staff we met all made us feel welcome and helped with enquirers about the best bar to go to later!

we had breakfast in the cafe/bar behind the hotel - i cannot remember the name you simply go out of the hotel via the back door - as it was much cheaper than the hotel.

Didnt manage to use the gym but like the idea of it :)

To conclude I would 100% return to this hotel with a partner or just one other person as the staff and location were fab just wish they would have designed the bathroom door better or replace the door with solid wood? The staff are all an asset to this place!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi LuciePop

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that your group had a brilliant weekend!

Our suite rooms are really handy for groups looking to cook a quick meal before a night out on the town!

Sorry to hear that there weren't enough items in the room for the three adults, but I'm glad to hear that it got rectified quickly.

The frosted sliding door leading to the bathroom is a modern design feature of the hotel, unfortunately this cannot be changed but I will pass your comments onto management.

It's so lovely to hear such fantastic comments about our staff members! We really are lucky to have such hard working passionate staff here at the Sandman. I will be sure to pass your comments on.

We would love to see you here again in the future!