“Not as good as it thinks it is”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here in a junior suite in July.

As a business traveller, I welcomed the upgrade to a suite but found the room somewhat unfinished. I lay in bed and looked at the ceiling and I am sure it hasn't been painted, neither had one of the walls?

The hotel staff were pleasant, good location and comfy bed. Bar is a sports bar, as you would expect next door to st james park. But there is a lot of building work happening around here and it's noisy and dirty outside. Perhaps they could ask some of the workmen from next door around to finish the hotel..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Kelly M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Slater956

Thank you for your review. It is always appreciated to hear that our members of staff had a positive impact on your stay and such responses are greatly valued. We are sorry to hear you had a somewhat disappointing stay. Regarding the ceiling and wall, it is a design feature: to replicate a New York style apartment, but of course, we take on board your feedback in relation to this.

We apologise and understand that the construction work disturbed your experience with us, but regrettably, it was out of our control. Fortunately, the development is coming to an end now.
Again, we apologise about your mixed experience with us, but sincerely hope it does not deter you from choosing at Sandman Signature again.

There are newer reviews for Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here on our first ever visit to Newcastle. Whilst the city was great and exceeded our expectations, the hotel wasn’t quite what we expected. The room was clean but I must admit the walk in shower room and toilet with just a glass partition door was less than adequate. All I can say is that I wouldn’t like to stay here with someone I wasn’t well acquainted with!! The décor too is quite cold with what looks like exposed concrete on the ceilings but I suspect is some clever wallpaper, nevertheless it didn’t help the ambience. Breakfast was adequate but served in the bar area where once again the dreaded concrete décor abounded. The location is good though and the staff friendly but I think if I were to visit again I would do more homework and perhaps stay nearer the waterfront.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CeliaB

Dear CeliaB

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle. I am delighted to hear your first impressions of the City exceeded your expectations, Newcastle really is a great place with lots to see and do. I hope you had time to see some of the local attractions and tried some of our famous Newcastle Brown Ale.

I am disappointed to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations in the standard of accommodation. I understand that the décor and modern bedroom fittings are not to everybody’s taste.

I am glad you felt our staff were friendly and helpful, however I will pass on the feedback to the Restaurant manager regarding the poor breakfast and breakfast service.

Should you wish to discuss any of the above points in more detail please contact myself directly at the hotel.

Debbie - Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for my Hen Weekend. We chose it because we were after a deal but looking for something special which we got. We stayed in one of the Executive King Suites which was lovely however the kitchen was large and wasted space. The bed was comfortable but the light in the wardrobe kept going off every time you moved...annoying! The room was nice and quiet even though it was a busy weekend. Great location and if I could sort the light i'd stay again!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle for your recent hen party. We hope you had a great night out with the girls and managed to let your hair down.

Our executive rooms are designed for self-catering guests. Perhaps the full kitchen area which is equipped with its own washing machine and dish washer is not necessary for a one or two night stay. However the private balcony is a popular feature, it is quite nice to be able to relax on there especially when it is nice weather, I hope you got chance to make use of this.

I am sorry to hear the light bulb in the wardrobe was not working correctly. If you and the girls fancy another night in the toon, please do not hesitate to contact us for the best rates. I promise next time all light bulbs will be in full working order.

Kindest Regards

… and I hope the wedding went well!!!

Debbie - Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

First the good points. Good location practically on the doorstep of St. James Park. Nice clean interior and the rooms are clean and it is great to have a small kitchenette in the suite, with tea an coffee provided. Also pans, crockery and cutlery available. Bathrooms are well fitted out with a walk in shower and you can have either a power shower experience or a rain style shower. Bed comfortable. Now unfortunately the bad points hence the average rating. On the weekend I was there it was definitely a "hen weekend" destination. This involved lots of "blow up" items being paraded around the lobby. Fine, if like me, you were with a partner but it may be a bit too much for families with small children. Also two shampoo's and no condition in bathroom, I know I'm being picky and I didn't phone down as I had luckily taken my own. Likewise with shower gel. I hadn't brought any of that but soap was provided.

My room was a suite and while I understand the need for it being divided in two (due to kitchenette) I did feel they were trying to make a suite out of what was basically a good sized room, meaning it turned into two small rooms.

Parking. Major issue. There is no parking at this hotel. Apparently there are limited spaces in the car park at St. James Metro but we couldn't find these. On match days and at busy periods I think it would be very difficult to park in the area. Plus with current roadworks I'm not sure how you get round the back to drop off bags. Would be a good idea to ring ahead and check how to do that if you have heavy bags.

We didn't stay for the breakfast as it wasn't included in the price so can't comment on the food.

All in all it is a standard hotel and if you are just going for a night out in Newcastle it is a great location. Beware of the noise of other people returning from their night out.

Room Tip: Choose a room on higher floors as the noise from the street will be less intrusive. Maybe ask for o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay. All feedback whether good or bad is essential for us to be able to continuously develop our service.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a great stay overall. As we are a city centre hotel unfortunately we do get a lot of hen, stags and party goers since Newcastle is a great city for nightlife. We try to monitor such noisy and rowdy behaviour and we endeavour to allocate families or couples away from these groups on different floors. I am sorry to hear on this occasion this was not the case and you were disturbed by people coming in from their night out.

The hotel does have private parking spaces located straight across from the front of the hotel, these are limited but are available for all guests even during a football match day and busy weekends. The instructions for car parking are attached on our website, I am sorry you were unable to make use of this.

It sounds like you stayed with us in a junior suite, this is a suite type that comes with a separate lounge area and small kitchenette. We also have other suite categories available. My favourite is the corporate studio which is an open planned suite which I think you may have preferred as it is more spacious. If you are looking to stay in Newcastle at a future date and consider staying with Sandman Signature Hotel once again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly were I will be able to offer this room type at a fantastic bed and breakfast rate since you missed out on the breakfast last time… our buffet breakfast is delicious!

I will pass on your comments regarding the toiletries in the room to our housekeeping department. The bathrooms should all come with the full range of designer shampoo, shower gel and body lotion, I am sorry you missed out on trying all of these on your last stay.

If you would like me to send some of these out to you to use and enjoy at home please contact me and we can arrange that.

Thank you again for your comments.

Debbie – Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights as a a base to explore local area and as a weekend break. Hotel ideal location close to shops, 10 min walk from station, we drove and parked in st james car park not sure how easy this would be if a football weekend
Check in easy and the reception staff very welcoming and chatty, free tea and coffee in a small reception area. Room facing st james clean comfortable good facilities empty fridge which many hotels seem to be removing which we stocked with cold water and valuable if buying goodies to takehome.only difficutly would be if you had heavy luggage as no parking or drop off area.this may be due to ongoing building work next door which looks almost complete.8th floor room good views , not disturbed by any noise and this was a busy weekend with ladies day at newcastle races.definitely would stay again

Room Tip: High floor a must for views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear CattsUnitedKingdom

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback on your recent stay in Newcastle. I hope you had a great time exploring the local area, there is so much to do here I am sure you were kept busy!! The shopping is also fantastic, whatever goodies you bought in the local shops to take home for your friends and family I hope they enjoyed them.

I am pleased to hear you thought our staff were really friendly, we pride ourselves on our Geordie hospitality so I’m glad you experienced this during your stay. I really do hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again. Maybe next time we could arrange an even higher floor so you have better views across the city centre. Next time if you are travelling by car and happen to have lots of heavier luggage we do have a drop off luggage point at the back of the hotel where we could assist you.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Myself and 4 friends stayed here on Saturday night for my hen do. The welcome in reception was the best I've ever received in a hotel, the staff are lovely, polite and can't do enough for you. I think the man who checked us in was called Liam, hats off to him for joining in with our banter!
The rooms are lovely and the view is amazing of Newcastle United's ground! I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it's in a perfect place for the shopping and nightlife in the city centre.

Room Tip: 9th floor room 902 had a lovely view including united ground. Also it's at the end of the corrid...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank pipsqueak_222
Kelly M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Pipsqueak_222

We hope you had a fantastic hen party here in Newcastle, the city is great for nightlife so I am sure you and the girls let your hair down. Thank you for such a lovely review, I am sure Liam was loving joining in with the hen party banter, he is a cheeky chap! The whole reception team feel it is always nice to have a chat and a giggle with our guests, I am pleased to hear you received a warm friendly welcome from Liam and the others.

Our rooms do offer fab views of the city, I am glad you were comfortable and had a nice stay with us during your hen party weekend. Maybe next time you can come with your husband for a romantic weekend away. We offer romance packages with bubbly and chocolates or perhaps just find another excuse to come with the girls for a night on the tiles again.

P.S Congratulations on the wedding, we hope it goes well.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is virtually in St James Park. It is ultra modern and the bouncers (sorry, doormen) are probably there to keep the riff raff away. Inside the reception area is actually quite small and there is no obvious lounge area you now expect from high quality hotels. There are however bars and restaurants with servers dressed in scantily at night. The rooms are quirkily modernistic but fun all the same.

Room Tip: Look out for the one way system if coming by car, you could have a long round trip if you miss the e...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gerad B

Our location to St James Park is second to none, the football fan’s that stay just love how close we are to all the action, the atmosphere on a match day is buzzing I’m sure you would agree.

However as we are on the doorstep of the crowds of football fans coming and going from the stadium we certainly offer our guests the security by having doormen covering our doors. Our lobby is fairly compact however we do also have a small lounge area in the corridor, and we do also offer the complimentary tea, speciality coffees and hot chocolate in the lobby for all guests, this you can’t find anywhere else in Newcastle City Centre Hotels.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay overall and thought our rooms were modern and fun. I hope you will be back soon. Please give us a call or check our website for upcoming special offers and promotions.