“Longs Legs and Apple Bottoms”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Longs Legs and Apple Bottoms”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Modern hotel complete with incongruously life sized stone carved horse in reception lobby. Apart from causing some cognitive dissonance ,whatever other purpose the horse serves it must still be in the interior designers head locked away in the in his/her internal memory file under 'Random Modernist.'

Our room at the back of the hotel came with a bijou kitchen , which is nice if you're planning to stay a few days and not rush. Crockery and cookware are provided , again a thoughtful touch.

If any one in your party has mobility problems parking is an issue with this hotel. You can park briefly at the back to unload( providing the builders haven't taken up all the space) and then you have to navigate your car around to the car park across a busy road from the hotel without swearing. The hotel can give you a concessionary fee for the car park.

Compact is probably the best way to describe the room. If it's one of those nights and you want to show your partner how supple and stretchy you are, i'm sure that it's possible to take one step from the doorway to the bedroom onto the bed.Thereby impressing your partner and setting
yourselves up for a night of infinite possibilities.

The frosted glass sliding door to the bathroom saves space but even if you close the door you can still be seen in more detail than you'd like by absolutely everyone in the bedroom.. No matter how close you are to your partner few of us want our beloved to watch us wipe our apples (bottoms ). My son and daughter were waiting cab back to her house .He needed the toilet desperately, i told him he could use the bathroom. His response ' No chance'.

There wasn't a bath but there is a large walk in shower separated from the toilet by a glass partition. Loved the shower but where ever we stay i always try and note any disability 'unfriendliness' in design. Why not?Who knows the roads we may have to travel tomorrow. As far as i'm concerned disability friendliness should be a standard part of all newbuild hotel design and not a percentage of available floorspace. A shower with a floor that's level with the bathroom floor cannot be deemed disability friendly based on that sole feature

There was a small area next to the kitchen with a sofa where you could watch a wall mounted tv. If you're in a wheel chair you'd struggle to transfer to the sofa because there just isn't enough room. I'm 5ft 4'' so the floor space between the sofa and the wall was okay. The big guys in my family stretched across the sofa. As tv isn't an important feature for us when we're away and we were only there for a couple of days it wasn't a problem .However, i imagine if you were there for longer the sofa situation might be a slight irritation.

Apparently you can go next door to the cafe-bar for a meal. I walked in and walked straight out out. Maybe it was the shockingly loud music and dark decor or the low lights and the umpteen tv screens. Whatever it was, the waitress in the vertiginous heels, tight top and the short bandana that i assume was a skirt told me all i need to know (quite frankly the skirt was so short her 'wearing ' it seemed a pointless pretence), the chef's expertise was a low priority on the hotel's design brief.

All in all, the Sandman is okay for a short stay. It would be great for you if you're a football fan who has travelled up for match at St James' Park.However,as there are lots of student apartments being built very close the hotel, if you looking for somewhere peaceful to stay when the football massive are at St James' for a match and it's term time then the Sandman wouldn't be the right location for you.

Room Tip: When it comes to choosing a quiet room at this hotel you'll be between a rock and hard place. Ne...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pleasurangel
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Pleasurangel,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we would love to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Liam Redshaw
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great warm welcome from reception staff, really friendly and helpful, nothing was a problem for them, they were so kind as to arrange soya milk in room for a cup of tea, plus for my breakfast in the morning, ensuring that nothing was cooked in butter to adhere to my allergies.
Room was immaculately clean, bright and spacious,lovely living area with its own private balcony.
The bed was super comfortable, we had a great nights sleep.
overall I am delighted with my stay, I would definitely stay here again
L, From Aberdeen

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Laura 8683,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It’s so lovely to hear that you had such a great experience during your stay with us. We appreciate it greatly to hear that our members of staff contributed so positively during your time here at Sandman Signature – we. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Recently had a 2 night stay at The Sandman Signature Hotel in Newcastle. Bit different from the usual large chains. Nice front of desk, with a very helpful receptionist. Boutique looking room, fresh clean and great view of the city from my window. Newcastle's football ground across the road so great for visiting football fans, and 5 mins away from the shops so great for the wives too! Was quoted a good price for my stay but breakfast was not included . Always my bug bear with hotels, breakfast far to expensive! However overall I enjoyed my stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Higher up and facing out to front - great views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lorraine D,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Very glad to hear that the members of staff made such a positive impact for during your stay. It’s also always great to receive feedback regarding the hotel design and to acknowledge that the rooms met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was really excited to have booked the Sandman, as I have walked past it many times and looked cool trendy place to be. On closer view of the room you could see that the room was in need of some updating. I went to have a shower and the water didn't drain away probably and ended up flooding the bathroom floor. The duty manager Debbie was great and upgraded us to one of the Executive rooms with a bath. The room was spacious, but again looked like it was in need of some updating. I also found when getting ready for night out there was a lack of sockets in the room to plug hairdryer in near to a mirror, but we did find out in an obscure hard to reach place.

On a brighter note we found the staff very helpful and the location of the hotel is perfect.

Just hopefully the hotel will touch up minor issues and hopefully get it back to being a great hotel.

Dear Stephanie M,

It is disappointing to hear that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. I understand that the design of the wet rooms may not be as appropriate for some, but we have actively taken such comments on board to ensure that the facilities are looked into regularly so to maintain to a high standard.

We are happy to hear that our staff were efficient and accommodating to your needs. This is valued greatly. I hope such issues would not deter you from returning to us in the future.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Second time I have stayed here. First time was for football reasons so it was literally just a place to stay but this time I was with my other half so would be spending longer than 5 minutes in the hotel.

We were a bit early to check in but the extremely polite and helpful receptionist said that if we didn't mind having a room without a wardrobe we could check in. WIth is just being a 2 night stay, this wasn't really an issue as we only needed a couple of hangers. The rooms are on the small side but smart enough with a view overlooking the mid table football teams ground.

It would probably be a 4 star hotel if it kept things to a high standard but the shower wasn't working properly (again with a short stay we just managed with it) and the bizarre layout of the TV channels which made it a pain to find a channel. All minor details but detail should be paid attention too when they market themselves as a bit higher end.

Ate in the Shark Bar incidentally and the food was cold (not sure if the bar and hotel are linked).

Room Tip: Higher up the better i'd assume.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
It is great to hear that you received helpful service during your time with us and such comments really are valued.

We are sorry to hear that the facilities in your room did not live up to your expectations or previous experience. We have actively taken on board such comments and looked into rectifying these issues with regular inspection.

It is always looked into to accommodate our guests as best as possible, and hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend brought me here for my bday. Lovely hotel reception is gorgeous. We stayed on the 10th floor and had a great view. Ordered room service and food was great. Right in the town centre just a walking distance to shops and pubs. Will def stay there again

Stayed July 2014
Kelly M, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear DebsM333

So glad to hear you had such a great birthday experience here at the Sandman Signature! We appreciate that we could contribute to your special day. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Debbie - Guest Service Manager
durham
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We live close to Newcastle so know the area very well. We decided to tie in our anniversary with a nights stay at the Sandman, Big mistake. We arrived at 13.30 having using the parking located to the hotel at St. James Metro station (£8 charge). We booked direct with the hotel @ £84 inc breakfast and a £15 voucher for the bar which i thought was good value. Upon a swift check in we were greeted by friendly staff and drunken fowl mouthed females in reception, i would not have been happy had my children been present. We were located on the 9th floor over looking St James park, kindly a bottle of champagne and chocolates had been placed in out room. The room was smart and tidy but compact, just what we needed. The shower was a bit pointless it was either a rain shower which wasn't powerful enough and you were stood freezing or a handheld shower as the holder on the wall just pointed straight ahead and there was no way to move it. We headed for our night out and realized that the rowdy people in reception were part of a large party all located on the same floor and already making large amounts of noise (7pm). We went to the bar for our free drinks and headed out for the evening. We arrived back at midnight, we tried to obtain a hot chocolate from the free machine in reception but just dirty water came out. At 2 am the noise started- people running up and down the corridor shouting, swearing and slamming doors, there was no consideration for anyone else. This continued until 04.15 when i rang reception to complain. Someone attended straight away and asked the party to be quiet. The noise continued until 04.30 and then the stadium started with their loud speakers at 07.50. Listening to all the racket in between the police cars, ambulances and fire engines during the night was one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had and the overall experience ruined our anniversary. Breakfast in the bar the next day was edible but nothing more. Staff were friendly upon check out but very surprised that i had not enjoyed my stay, they said they apologized for the noise from other revelers during the night and therefore didn't charge me for the car parking. I would never stay at this hotel again or recommend it, this is in no way any reflection on the staff just location and weekend clientele. I previously stopped in the Staybridge Suites just a little out of town and would recommend this for a little more money if you want a quiet nights sleep and nice breakfast.

Dear Macracs,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I’m sorry to see the issues you faced during your stay and can assure you that this not the normal level of service we aim to provide as I am sure you can see from the majority of feedback we received from other guests. It is fantastic to know you took advantage of our very appealing promotion which has great value with breakfast for two, a complimentary late check out of 2pm and a £15 voucher to spend on anything you choose in our Shark Club Gastro bar! I can see you also had your parking for free, meaning this really was a great deal for a stay in the city centre of Newcastle! I am sorry to learn of the noise that effected you coming from some of our other guests, though I am glad help was at hand and the night Management team assisted immediately in rectifying this noise issue. Staying at our hotel the night before a football match at the world famous St. James’ park really does give you a feel of locality as you can sometimes hear the build-up of the game through the stadiums massive tannoy systems which really does add to the buzz and energy of the city.
Thanks again for your review and I do hope we see you again soon.

Kind regards,