“Pleasant stay at The Sandman Signature”

Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. The hotel/reception staff are so lovely and welcoming. The room was a good size and very clean. The room was a bit rough around the edges and you could see it needed touched up with paint in some places. Breakfast was good and nice to eat in the restaurant area. One of my big complaints would be the free wifi was really unreliable. Hotel is in a very handy location for Eldon Square and shopping. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Kelly M, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear Landau83,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay with us and we would love to see you again soon!

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I thought the hotel looked really exclusive. The staff there were very nice & helpful especially the George Clarke lookalike. I would definitely stay here again. I did find the hotel quite expensive though but overall it was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cathy B,

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on Friday 8th August as part of a birthday gift my sister had bought me. I was looking forward to a chilled day & then meeting friends for drinks & food later in the evening. The male receptionist was welcoming & helpful. The room was small but furnished to a good quality. One of the bedroom lights was noisy and I would have preferred a bath as well as a shower but they are my only criticisms of the facilities. Room service was prompt, both for a late lunch then desserts & hot chocolates later that evening. Evening meal & breakfast in Shark Club was lovely (I've written a separate review). I had a great night's sleep. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for business travellers, partygoers or those coming to watch football at St James. As it has no spa or gym facilities, it's not really a chill out hotel, so if you're looking for a luxury relaxation trip or a couples break then I'd say go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie S,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

OK, firstly, the good points – the hotel has brilliant staff. The provision of a microwave and ironing board/iron was a nice touch. The bed is nice and firm and the shower is really good. We were able to leave our luggage when we checked out.

We stayed for two nights. First impressions of the room were good although all I did was dump the bags before going out for dinner. On our return to the room, we noticed lots of reddish/brownish stains on the carpet (I have tried to convince myself they weren’t blood but not sure it worked!) and the net curtains. By this point we were fairly tired and had unpacked so we didn’t want to switch rooms so we decided to put up with it.

When going to the toilet, we noticed that the glass bathroom door isn’t wide enough and leaves a fairly substantial gap for your roommate to see through! When using the toilet, be careful of the floating shelf which is stupidly positioned right above the toilet, meaning that I hit my head on more than one occasion causing some pretty impressive pain and expletives!

For a newish hotel, the rooms are already showing signs of great wear and tear – this clearly isn’t a hotel that keeps on top of its maintenance.

Parking is expensive and a pain, especially if there are no spaces in the car park opposite.
On our first night, we were awoken at 3 in the morning by a large group of men returning from a night out shouting down the corridor. After about ten minutes it went silent, only for it to happen again at 4am. This time I had to go out and tell them to keep the noise down. Why didn’t the night staff see what state this group were in when they came through reception? Other hotels I have been at escort people like this to their room to ensure they don’t wake any other residents. This happened again on the Saturday night.

Whilst I appreciate that this is a city centre hotel, the noise from the traffic outside was really loud. You could hear all of the traffic sitting at the traffic lights outside and all of the sirens that passed. The hotel needs to invest in better glazing.

One other thing, many hotels like you to re-use your towels in order to ‘save the environment’ whereby you place them on the floor if you would like them replaced, but if they are hung up, it is clear that you are happy to re-use them. We hung our towels up on our first morning, only to come back and find that they had been replaced! This is something the hotel should look at improving as it is an unnecessary waste of energy, time and money.

I would have liked to have mentioned these points when I checked out but the staff were so busy with queues, they didn’t ask how my stay was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor...it might help with the traffic noise
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeordieGirl123

Dear GeordieGirl123,

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner wanted to visit Amsterdam by boat - so decided to book this hotel the night before on the "Summer Offer" they had running. For £74 this included accommodation, £15 voucher for the restaurant, breakfast for two and complimentary late checkout of 2pm - the rate is worth it.

Upon arrival, we was very impressed with the decor and greeting in the reception area. The "Manager in training" was polite, friendly and informative, she even wished us a "happy anniversary" which was a nice touch. We were informed we had been upgraded complimentary to a suite - Bonus!!

Entering the room we was created with a fresh clean smell, and the room was clean tidy and spacious. The little kitchenette was great too, even though we didn't use the facility. We were based on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel above the kitchen fans - these made terrible noise all through our stay and kept me partly awake through the night.

We decided to use our voucher in the restaurant - however upon entering walked straight back out - waitresses showing cleavage, short skirts and low cut tops is Not what you would expect to find in a 4* quality hotel like this - why have a sports/Gastro style bar????

Sleeping at night was comfy, but was kept awake from the fans. Around 10.30pm I rang reception regarding the noise and was informed "restaurant open till midnight, we offer 24hr room service, but they should go off at midnight" they never did! I wish now that I had requested a higher floor as sleeping is a must for me!

At 7.30am, work men outside the hotel started to work - I appreciate it's a week day - but the hotel knew we were here on a special occasion so why was we allocated this room.

Breakfast was "Luke warm" and nothing was really edible. The only hot thing we consumed was the tea/coffee.

All in all, lovely immaculate hotel - but if you want specific requests then make sure you ask otherwise you will be left disappointed.

Will return if in Newcastle again.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear David C,

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent business traveller so I am used to hotels across the country. I booked this apparent 4* hotel as the location was useful and the pics and reviews looked ok. I would not book again.

The first and main issue is the severe lack of parking. Once the reserved spaces are full you are left to fend for yourself. At the end of 6 hours driving this was a huge disappointment and left me carrying heavy bags down to the hotel as there is no drop off area. There are also only steps up to the hotel so anyone with a wheeled suitcase will struggle as I did.

The reception was nice and the staff throughout the hotel were very good at all times. In my standard room I was again disappointed as it was not clean and tatty. There were items left by previous guests, the carpet was fraying, punch holes in the wall and badly fitting sockets. The shower floods the bath room and as I was on the first floor I listened to ambulances most of the night. The restaurant was packed when I arrived which to the single business traveller can be off putting. I ordered room service which was very good. Concrete walls and ceilings just aren't my thing. £11.95 for breakfast is far too much for a breakfast buffet that doesn't match up to premier inn.

The good points - comfy bed and furniture, efficient air con, good food, lovely staff and free wifi.

This is felt like a budget hotel trying to be modern but standards have obviously slipped. Great place for a night out or hen due etc but not for business or for anyone seeking luxury.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Constanttrav

Dear Constanttrav,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I love staying in hotels all around the world , however the Sandman is by far my favourite.

The staff, service, location, bedrooms, public area and food are all faultless. I don't even live too far from the hotel however will always go when I fancy a bit of luxury as I know I will be treat like royalty! I recommend the hotel to family, friends and even clients of mine visiting the Newcastle area.

Right from entering the über modern reception, to check out on departure everything is perfect.

I fail to understand the audacity some people have writing negative reviews about any hotel, never mind this amazing venue.

Thank you for all of my stays Sandman, I look forward to returning in September!!

• Stayed: August 2014