“Excellent value, a couple of teething issues.”

Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was really impressed with Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle and even more impressed with their staff. They were keen (if not a little inexperienced), very helpful, locally knowledgeable and passionate about the city. We were greeted by a particularly great woman checking us in who had a wealth of restaurant recommendations to kick off our weekend.

The location I think was the best we could have stayed at - 3 minutes walk from the station and another 5 to the quayside bars and restaurant. These things were appreciated when we arrived tired and hungry at 9pm and had to run for our train on the way back. Truly unbeatable location.

The hotel is a brand new glass and steel affair from outside and is equally modern and stylish inside but isn't cold or uninviting, instead the use of colours and soft furnishings give a homely feel. It's not tell-tale budget either, little things like having a heated steam free mirror in the bathroom, a decent flat screen, a digital safe in the room, fancy bedside lamps, an immaculate stylish bathroom, down to the quality of the teaspoons on the hospitality tray tell you they haven't scrimped on too many things at all. Oh and did I mention spotlessly clean? Very comfy beds and linen too.

Friday was great however we did have some downsides staying on a Saturday night...

Negatives: There was some horrendously drunk shouting in the corridors at several points on Saturday night which woke us, sadly, low prices = stags and hens and the management may want to manage this in future. After what I assume are introductory prices rise in future this issue may abbate, or maybe we were just unlucky. Our Friday night was noise free.
Another 'biggie' was that the showers literally stopped working in the 45 minutes before checkout, presumably when many sore heads were having an enforced wake up. Literally only enough of a dribble to clean you teeth in. Eventually it returned in time for my partner to shower before we left but this was far from ideal. When we mentioned it at checkout the sympathetic staff member automatically deducted £20 from our bill for the inconvenience without us really expecting it so to their credit they were very professional about it. We asked if it was just the demand of everyone showering at once or something else. A cryptic answer of 'a bit of both' is what we got. Not exactly convincing us it wouldn't be a problem again in future. The hotel is maybe best avoided by families at weekends for the above reasons though and I can see it would make an excellent midweek business stop over so near to the station.

Small points: The wifi was extremely slow / unworkable on an iphone (the ipad managed). The window onto the train station pay and display car park (though empty) could have done with a net curtain in addition to a full curtain so you could allow light in whilst still undressed! The (although very stylish) door to the bathroom is a sliding frosted glass affair that, erm, well doesn't ensure 100% noise or visual privacy when on the porcelain throne. Ok for me and my partner, could be a bit embarassing if staying with friends.

I had slight reservations about the size of the rooms from another reviewers comments but needn't have worried. It's more than ample for a night or two.

We were very pleased to be able to leave our luggage at the hotel on checkout day, before our much later train. However the staff member didn't fill us with confidence of the security of our bags when we handed them over, asked if there was a ticket but informed there wasn't, a bit concerning in such a busy Sunday morning checkout process. However when we did collect them we found our names had been stickered onto the cases.

I realise this review may seem quite negative in parts but these points are relatively minor in the wider context of our stay. Overall I wouldn't have a moments hesitation in staying again and recommending the hotel as a great value budget place to stay for a stylish yet affordable city shopping/partying break.

Room Tip: Choose from slow clunk of cargo trains on one side of the building or street noise on the other. I...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lowri D
There are newer reviews for Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle

997 - 1,003 of 1,046 reviews

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Arrived to stayed at sleeperz the day after it had opened its doors for the 1st time. The staff, and service overall of the hotel was fantastic - anything that we needed or any problems that arose were dealt with very quickly and resolved. I think for only being opened 2 days the staff really worked well to accommodate everyone. The location of the hotel is fab and we were within walking distance of everywhere we needed to go.I will definitely be returning to Newcastle and staying at sleeperz and have recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: Buy the breakfast - sounds almost too good to be true ...but it is!!!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2012

just back from an overnight stay in the sleeperz hotel in Newcastle. This trip was actually a xmas present so we hadn't chosen the hotel but given the choice, I would definitely have chosen have it anyway!
It has a great central location- we parked outside of the city and got the metro to cenral station. The hotel is literally 2 minutes down the street- v.easy to find! Good central location for shopping and eating- we walked into town for shopping in under 10 mins and our evening meal was on the side, near the quayside and it was less than 5 minutes walk. Can't praise highly enough how great a location it was!
Hotel rooms are very clean and in great condition (hotel not long open) as is the bar/lounge area. Staff do take longer than average to check you in/deal with orders etc, but as mentioned by other reviewers, some of them are obviously in-experienced and still finding their feet. However, we were in no rush and it didn't bother us- it certainly wouldn't put me off staying again!
We had some lunch at the bar in the afternoon and the food was lovely! drink prices are reasonable I thought and the breakfast was worth the money- good selection of food.
Staff are very friendly and helpful- they really do seem to want to do the best they can for the customers.
I really cannot fault our stay at this hotel and there was a wide range of people staying here- older couples, families, young couples, clubbers etc.
I had a good sleep and really didnt hear much noise from outside/ inside the hotel- I'm a fairly light sleeper and often dont sleep well in hotels but I did sleep well here.
Would reccommend this hotel to anyone looking for a central location with staff who really try their best!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynspop
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was a last minute booking before getting an early train to London -really convenient as the hotel is minutes away from the station. It is on a busy street traffic wise, but the rooms seem to be adequately soundproofed. Rooms are a good size, with large comfy double bed and good cotton bed linen. Heating can be controlled from the room. The shower is behind a glass screen, virtually in the room with you, but is well thought out and good use of space, and plenty of towels. Wi fi is free, and there is a good flat screen Tv. No wardrobe, just hanging space and a couple of shelves. Staff are eager to please if a little inexperienced, but this is better than the indifference met in some other places. They do 'preauthorise' your credit card, also including £20 for any room service, which is refunded if you don't purchase anything.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bluespecs
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Excellent stay with excellent service. Could not find any fault and believe me. If I could I would. Thanks to all staff for giving a personal service. Much better than your travel lodges etc. Will be back. Also only 3 mins walk from the rail station.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 5 February 2012

our first visit to this brand new hotel and it most definitely will not be the last. Located close to the train station, the hotel is smart and tastefully decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

The prices are very reasonable, there is a small menu that is available all day and the bar is well stocked. The rooms are clean and adequately sized but i felt the bathrooms are a little small. However, this is a new hotel open only 2 weeks and this weekend was the first real tester for them.

Check out is 11am but they have a luggage storage area and are happy for you to still have a drink etc there even after you have checked out.

Loads of easy accesible bars and nightspots within walkin reach.

Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Justval1
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I recently stayed at the new sleeperz hotel in newcastle city centre, i booked direct with site and staff were extremly helpful and friendly. On check in i was met with the same friendlyness i had received while making booking. Hotel is very modern and fresh and my room had amazing view and very spacious. A huge plus for me was the free wi-fi in room and bar and restaurant this was a huge saving as can be very expensive while working away in other chain hotel. Hint to all people looking to book try the breakfast very resonably pricedfor a hot buffet

Room Tip: I has a standard double which had more than enough room for 2 people but i was shown a superior room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business