“Good price, great hotel”

Sleeperz Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Centrally located hotel which appears recently built. On arrival greeted by friendly person at the desk. The hotel has a modern decor. The rooms are well laid, the bed was comfy and shower good. Breakfast had a good variety. The only negative is that the hotel doesn't have parking. Overall impression is of a new hotel which is well run and good value,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Travis M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at Sleeperz for one night as I was working in Newcastle the following day. First impressions are every good and the staff are excellent, Tess on the front desk deserves particular mention. The rooms are clean, modern and have everything that you need. I also like the fact that they offer room service.

My main complaints however are due to the noise. I was first allocated a room on the 5th floor overlooking the station. As soon as I went in I could hear the trains passing over the points and after 5 minutes I decided to switch rooms. This wasnt a problem and they moved me to a room at the front of the hotel on the 3rd floor. Again the room was clean and had everything but the noise this time came from the street. Whilst I appreciate that city centre hotels have a great deal more noise than those in the country, I would have expected a brand new hotel to have far better double glazing than it does.

Despite all this I was able to drop off to sleep but then woke at approx 11.30pm to hear water running in my room. It wasn't just the pipes but appeared to be coming from above the bathroom ceiling and was a substantial leak, albeit not one that I could see. I had to call reception who sent someone to look into this and it turns out that the person in the room above was having a shower. I asked if it would be a problem the following morning and was assured it wouldnt be but once again at 6.15am the water starts again.

Overall I dont think I would stay at Sleeperz again, but if you're a heavy sleeper the staff, location and decor are all excellent.

Room Tip: Choose the front (odd numbers) over the back (even).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CliftonCampers
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed at Sleeperz last night after a gig at the arena. The chap on the front desk checked us in and was extremely pleasant without coming across as fake or annoying - asked what we were there for and knew about the gig and the band (Rammstein) offered us directions to the arena...
Room was clean and fresh - although you would expect that from a brand new hotel. I was a little concerned about the frosted glass door to the bathroom, hubby assured me he couldn't see me on the loo!
The bed was very comfortable and we made use of the extra pillows to sit up and watch a little freeview tv to wind down after the show.
Ideal location only minutes from the station and from quayside and city centre if that's what you are going for.
We were literally just crashing there and had no food or drinks so can't comment on them.
Only downside - proximity to trains - but we knew about that when we booked and to honest they didn't really bother us despite being in a room which was practically in the station car park. Light sleepers should probably request a room at the front of the building.
In all, excellent value for money at under £60 - have a lot more for a lot less in the past.

Room Tip: The front of the building is further from the train line and will be better for light sleepers.
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our overnight stay in this recently opened city hotel was a surprise birthday gift for my train anorak husband.
The staff had been helpful when I booked the room, overlooking the Castle Keep, the Tyne Bridge, but primarily the railway line. Having previously shown me the superior 4th. floor room, with floor to ceiling windows, and commanding panorama of Newcastle and Gateshead, this certainly ticked all the boxes.
Our room was clean, comfortable and proved an excellent photography platform. Our self-service breakfast was good, hot and fresh. My only suggestion would be to include a couple of armchairs, there’s enough space in the room and then you could admire all the views in comfort.
We enjoyed our stay at Sleeperz, it’s pleasant, clean, competitively priced, and convenient for rail travellers, business people, and of course train buffs.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed at the Sleeperz in Newcastle with my family (13 and 10 year olds) during half term. Excellent hotel, very close to the station and local amenaties. Double bed was very comfy and the children loved the bunk beds. High quality linen. Great design and felt like a boutique hotel. No noise issues whatsoever, with thick double galzing. Friendly staff and decent breakfast and a great price. Very happy overall. Newcatle was a great day trip location too - and a nice change from a trip to London.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bernard D D
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel is brilliant! I would place it somewhere between a great Travelodge and a trendy boutique hotel. Check in was quick and easy and the staff were extremely friendly and helpfull. The rooms are small but functional but there is more than enough room for your basic needs. The design has been very well thought out with the residents needs in mind.
It is located no more than 5 mins walk from Newcastle Central Station and is located right around the corner from the trendy bar area of the Diamond Strip. Having said that, we never noticed any noise from outside or from within the hotel for that matter (we stayed on a Sat & Sun night).
Overall, I am very impressed with this company and in particular their brilliant staff who genuinely take their time to find out how you are and go that extra mile to help you out at WHATEVER time of the day or night.
Well done Sleeperz........keep up the good work and you wont go far wrong!!

Room Tip: The higher up the better for views and distance from the traffic although we NEVER had an issue. Ir...
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at the newly opened Sleeperz Hotel, Newcastle for two nights from 8 Feb 2012.

On our arrival at the light and airy reception, which also incorporates a comfortable seating area for residents, we were met by two smart and friendly receptionists. After a speedy check-in we were directed to our double room, on the 5th floor, via the the lift. The lift was the first of many luxury experiences that we were to experience in the following two days. It was superb, fast and efficient and we reached the top floor without realising any motion had taken place.

We quickly settled in our room and were immediately impressed by the ultra-modern effects, the room had a high ceiling and wooden flooring effect, the latter made a lasting impression on my husband. The curtains, both net and the full length ones created a rich feeling to the room. Coffee and tea making facilities were a welcome relief after our long journey. A nifty folding luggage rack was in easy access, there was also a locking lap-top safe conveniently fitted under the bed. The bedside lamps had a reading light attached, which we found very useful and unexpected. The queen size bed and duvet added to our comfort and we did not experience any noise from either inside or outside the hotel. The bathroom pod was roomy and funtional and I was extremely impressed with the wet-room, where the floor was almost dry before leaving the washroom. The room overlooked the main street and at night we had a view of the illuminated cathedral, castle and bridge.

Once we had settled in, we returned to the reception where the receptionist provided us with and excellent map , on which she kindly marked out the route to the shops in the centre of Newcastle, which are within a short walking distance from the hotel.

We returned for our evening meal, my husband thoroughly enjoyed his steak and ale pie from the reasonably varied menu. Breakfast the following day was excellent and there was
plenty of choice from both continental and/or the full breakfast, whichever was the preferred
option.

After breakfast on our second day, we caught the train from the main station to the Gateshead Metro shopping centre, for the reasonable price of £2.50 each, return fare. Well worth a visit, especially on the drizzly day we experienced.

Congratulations to Tess and the team of receptionists for their friendly and efficient service. Also thanks to the cleaning staff who kept our room spotless. It would be remiss of me also not to thank the General Manager, Mark for his patience and professionalism.

We were sad to leave.