“Local quality tapas and ambience”
Review of Barca Gosforth

Barca Gosforth
Ranked #459 of 1,267 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Local quality tapas and ambience”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We often pop in to Barca on Gosforth high street as it has a great selection of real ales and wines. It also has an impressive and not too expensive cocktail menu. Last week we decided to watch the World Cup final there in total comfort. We had a selection of tapas from the menu. All delicious, freshly cooked and great value for money. Highly recommended as a local bar with great food.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank spiderwiddas

“Nice place ”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Went in for a quick drink before going for some food, friendly staff, no issues what so ever and a large drink selection. Worth a visit

1 Thank Craig B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Rude”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Walked into this bar on a Saturday night and sat whilst my boyfriend ordered drinks. He came down to the table to get my id as the woman behind the bar asked for it. I am used to this being 21. He showed the id to the barmaid who informed him that it was "fake" another member of staff also said he would not accept it. My boyfriend informed them that it was an Irish driving licence and they eventually accepted it. For the rest of the night the staff were unfriendly and rude to us. Think this bar needs to have a look at how the staff act to customers after reading other reviews too.

7 Thank yoyomack1
newcastle
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place serves on of the best Sunday Lunches in Newcastle ! Since we found it we have been most Sundays ! There burgers also great ! And all at a good price ! Spot on !!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank NewcastleMarkone
“Treat like scum because I complained about pint”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My son took two pints of KOZEL back as it tasted off and was told we could have a replacement if we paid our pints where poured away I asked the bar man if he had tasted it and he looked at me as if I was a leper and said do you think I would drink from your glass . I said I thought the customer was always right and he just smirked as a result I will never enter this bar again. Also the toilets are disgusting and if this poor hygiene is the same in the kitchen i would be wary of the food

• Visited March 2014
7 Thank Broony1966
Barca G, Owner at Barca Gosforth, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
I'm sorry to hear that you feel you were "treated like scum", but I can'thelp but feel this is a dramatic exageration of how things really played out.

With regards your issue with your 2 pints (we haven't sold Kozel for quite some time), I can assure you that nobody thinks you are a leper. Might I suggest that the look on the barman's face could have been one of surprise and confusion, most likely because we'd sold hundreds of pints that night with not one complaint. Our standards of service are meticulously high. Lines always clean, cellar always cold, gas always the correct pressure, glass always clean. If any of these factors were not as they ought to be, the product would be taken off sale. It seems most likely that you simply didn't like the taste of the pint you had. This doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it. After all, you wouldn't go to the cinema, decide after 10 minutes that you don't like the film, then ask for your money back.

The customer is not always right. That is an inane statement to make. I was in a bar the other night and an inebriated customer started shouting and swearing at the staff. By your logic, he was right I assume? I'd say the customer is right 95% of the time, that's a more common sense assumption.

As for your remarks about our kitchen, that is a slanderous and cowardly cheap shot. Might I suggest you look up our food hygiene score should you have any concerns.

Good day!